This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is this picture as silly as it appears to be?

#41bratt100Posted 2/19/2013 8:13:01 PM
Suibom posted...
ryan0991 posted...
Why do you find it silly?

It's full of strawmans, translation cherry picking, and generous paraphrasing.

Are you planning on listing these or should I just take your word?

For example, science never claimed that Earth sits on a large animal.

Neither did the Bible. But what's that have to do with bloodletting?

Blood letting really did have it heart in the right place. The idea was that whatever was making you sick was in your blood and in many cases they where completely right. Even today (leaches) we use bloodletting for certain things eg. reattaching limbs. We use it to reduce dramatic swelling in the area.

Even trepanning has come back as a solution to brain swelling.

They even used maggots in the past to clean wounds and guess what we are starting to use again? maggots to again clean wounds. we couldn't have asked for any better little surgeons then the gross squirming wonders we use today and have used for a few thousand years.

while the reason they used these in the past where quite general it's gotten to the point where we have seen the value in many of them, it simply isn't as dramatic as once believed.
---
If you believe in the flying Spaghetti Monster and are 100% proud of it copy this to your sig.
#42DoGCyNPosted 2/19/2013 8:34:04 PM
I saw something blatantly wrong and tried to correct it.

This is the way you should answer everything I say. Hopefully with respect towards the other person.

I'm ridiculing the position because it is ridiculous

Sorry you feel that way. :/ There are better ways to talk about the subject at hand though.

Why are these things "metaphors" yet the earth being round aren't? Is it because you know them to be blatantly wrong, but the round one you can twist enough to fit into fact?

You know that last sentence is irrelevant right? Another one of "those."

But anyway... I'm not trying to twist it into fact. I was merely making a connection (hence my shadow reference). Here...I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. For the sake of this conversation ending, you're right.

Obviously our "circle of the earth" is actually an oblate spheroid.

And that wasn't where I was going either. I was heading toward this "circle" being the "horizon" of the earth, Not the earth itself. (This is another connection btw)

A domed tent. Why in the blue hell would someone make that shape for a "sky" if the world isn't the flat disc at the bottom of it?

Idk you tell me ;p. You're the one making that connection.
---
2 Corinthians 12:7-10
#43DoGCyNPosted 2/19/2013 8:34:17 PM
What is it with you and equating "Show what I'm doing/Showing my points are wrong" with "being mad"?

It's not the points you're making. It's the prologue and epilogue to each point you make. I'm trying to promote friendly conversation.

It is directly relevant to the subject.

So I can call you crazy and that's relevant to the subject? I mean if it's really that easy...

Also, explain how derogatory comments are relevant. ....Actually don't.
---
#44hunter_gohanPosted 2/19/2013 8:58:54 PM
DoGCyN posted...
Sorry you feel that way. :/ There are better ways to talk about the subject at hand though.

And that better way is just ignoring it? Are you ever going to address how you get washing wounds from Leviticus 15, but not treat a woman on her period and anything she has touched like you would a wound?

You know that last sentence is irrelevant right? Another one of "those."

But anyway... I'm not trying to twist it into fact. I was merely making a connection (hence my shadow reference).

It's what you're doing though. Wound, any disease other than leprosy these things do not show up in Leviticus 15, yet you and the image maker have twisted it(or call it "finding a shadowy reference" if you want) as a call to wash open wounds or wash with running water when dealing with any disease.

And that wasn't where I was going either. I was heading toward this "circle" being the "horizon" of the earth, Not the earth itself. (This is another connection btw)

This is the passage in question:

Isaiah 40:22 "He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in."

Or at least I think, what does that have to do with a horizon? It's exactly what he'd see reigning from his throne above a flat disk like in the image though. Oh look there's the sky being shaped like a tent again.

Idk you tell me ;p. You're the one making that connection.

You wouldn't, which shows that anyone who thought the sky was shaped like that had an erroneous view of the Earth.

So I can call you crazy and that's relevant to the subject? I mean if it's really that easy...

If I start flinging my feces about and babbling incoherently sure go ahead. Until you stop twisting "wash everything(pretty much) to do with a lepor" to "wash open wounds" while ignoring "wash everything(pretty much) to do with a woman on her period" than there is nothing wrong with calling you out on that.
---
The food that stands on his [Odin's] table he gives to two wolves of his called Geri and Freki. He himself needs no food; wine is for him both drink and meat.
#45DoGCyNPosted 2/19/2013 9:24:49 PM
Are you ever going to address...

nOPE!

Or at least I think, what does that have to do with a horizon?

The circle being the horizon. I'm gonna reference a couple verses here. Proverbs 8:27 and Job 26:10.

Proverbs 8:27:
I was there when he set the heavens in place,
when he marked out the horizon on the face of the deep,

Job 26:10
He marks out the horizon on the face of the waters
for a boundary between light and darkness.

This circle can be made as a connection for our horizon. A round horizon. This is ultimately where I was going with it. Let's stop it here.

... than there is nothing wrong with calling you out on that.

Would it be then? or than? Not sure. Not a grammar nazi...just wondering.

Regardless of that, there is PLENTY wrong with it. It's the difference between a debate and an argument. You are right to say I haven't addressed some points... because I haven't, with reason. And this can be pointed out and addressed in such a way that continues discussion. However, adding derogatory vocabulary never helps..it just doesn't... Your opening response to my first post could be reworded severely.
---