This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I am back from africa now. Back in the best state ever- Texas!(religion related)

#1Polish_CrusaderPosted 2/14/2013 1:45:18 PM
After a 25+ hour trip i am finally back and still a bit light headed from the flying. It was an amazing experience. The churches in nigeria are so very different than from here in the USA. There is a lot more togetherness. A lot more singing and dancing. Everyone is so much nicer than in most american churches. The whole thing in america where people sit in a corner and try not to be bothered is completely the opposite. Everyone holds hands and sings and we talk to each other. The pastor invited me to his house.

The Lord is growing in Nigeria big time. Despite the news about the muslim terrorist attacks (which were largely in the country side not in large cities like abuja), christianity is growing. I saw big mosques and a few big churches. But the people are noticeably more christian and growing. The Lord honors those who honor him.

Post thoughts.
#2ThuggernautzPosted 2/14/2013 1:52:04 PM
Were you there to persuade people to not use condoms, despite the obvious health risks of doing so?
#3JonWood007Posted 2/14/2013 2:00:07 PM(edited)
Thuggernautz posted...
Were you there to persuade people to not use condoms, despite the obvious health risks of doing so?

Yeah, regardless of the togetherness and the sense of community your churches may give, this is a very troublesome concept Christianity is introducing into Africa, as well as a lot of the anti gay stuff I've heard.

Other than that, glad you had a good time...
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#4OzymandiasIVPosted 2/14/2013 6:27:35 PM
From: Polish_Crusader | Posted: 2/14/2013 4:45:18 PM | #001
The churches in nigeria are so very different than from here in the USA. There is a lot more togetherness. A lot more singing and dancing. Everyone is so much nicer than in most american churches. The whole thing in america where people sit in a corner and try not to be bothered is completely the opposite. Everyone holds hands and sings and we talk to each other. The pastor invited me to his house.

Sounds like you're not going to the right Churches, if that's what you're looking for and apparently haven't found. I grew up in a small city in Indiana that had less than 100,000 people, and I found a Church very much like the one you're describing. Lots of singing and dancing, communion where individuals received large chunks of dry bread and split them with several people, etc. After the first few visits, one of the pastors took me out to a very fine restaurant for dinner and then drove me home (which was actually a good 25 miles from the city).
---
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.
#5OzymandiasIVPosted 2/14/2013 6:28:39 PM
Oh, and are you attributing the growth of Christianity to their sense of togetherness?
---
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.
#6LastManStandingPosted 2/14/2013 6:59:02 PM
Welcome home brother good that you are back and that you seem God touching the hearts of our African brothers and sisters. Glory to God!
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#7IwantedzeroPosted 2/14/2013 7:07:01 PM
You must be pretty delusional if you seriously believe that Texas is anywhere close to the best state.
---
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/128/2/d/ri_chibis_series_3_by_frist44-d3fwuko.png
Good work, ChaosZeroRoxorz!
#8TheRealJiraiyaPosted 2/14/2013 7:08:40 PM
Iwantedzero posted...
You must be pretty delusional if you seriously believe that Texas is anywhere close to the best state.

Texas is not the best state.

It is the best COUNTRY

<3 Texas <3
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#9DarkContractorPosted 2/14/2013 7:16:58 PM
Iwantedzero posted...

It is the best COUNTRY

<3 Texas <3

okay I lol'd
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
#10TheRealJiraiyaPosted 2/14/2013 7:17:47 PM
DarkContractor posted...
Iwantedzero posted...

It is the best COUNTRY

<3 Texas <3

okay I lol'd

Wait why was someone joking :O
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt