This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I am back from africa now. Back in the best state ever- Texas!(religion related)

#11DarkContractorPosted 2/14/2013 7:22:53 PM
idk you tell,mr joker
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
#12DarkContractorPosted 2/14/2013 7:24:46 PM
From: Polish_Crusader | Posted: 2/14/2013 4:45:18 PM | #001
The churches in nigeria are so very different than from here in the USA. There is a lot more togetherness. A lot more singing and dancing. Everyone is so much nicer than in most american churches. The whole thing in america where people sit in a corner and try not to be bothered is completely the opposite. Everyone holds hands and sings and we talk to each other. The pastor invited me to his house.

Sounds like you're not going to the right Churches, if that's what you're looking for and apparently haven't found. I grew up in a small city in Indiana that had less than 100,000 people, and I found a Church very much like the one you're describing. Lots of singing and dancing, communion where individuals received large chunks of dry bread and split them with several people, etc. After the first few visits, one of the pastors took me out to a very fine restaurant for dinner and then drove me home (which was actually a good 25 miles from the city).

though I think the Church Polish visited and the Church you grew up in begs the question why God isn't shaking up the American Church the way he is in Nigeria.
---
#13IamvegitoPosted 2/14/2013 7:28:42 PM
Well, God hates America and its attempts at empire, and the American church is a farce and decidedly un-Christian.

Or something like that.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#14DarkContractorPosted 2/14/2013 7:41:00 PM
well if any of us were perfect Christians wouldn't that mean we wouldn't need Jesus in the first place? quite the standard
---
#15Polish_Crusader(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 9:09:26 PM
I think u guys misunderstood. The church i am going to now in east austin is an amazing church. I was speaking on most of the churches i have been to in general that focus on high tech displays and people competing through appearance and stuff like that. The church i go to now is most poor folks and mostly mexican (english speaking), and we have a lot of fun and they are very nice.
#16Polish_Crusader(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 9:10:06 PM
Thuggernautz posted...
Were you there to persuade people to not use condoms, despite the obvious health risks of doing so?

- i was there on vacation. Completely unrelated to church activity. I went to the same church that my host goes to.
#17Faust_8Posted 2/14/2013 11:22:02 PM
So...they had internet where you were?
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while
#18Polish_Crusader(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 4:05:36 AM
Faust_8 posted...
So...they had internet where you were?

yes... very slooooow internet. Almost everyone in africa has access to an internet cafe.
#19kts123Posted 2/15/2013 9:12:21 AM
That's great to hear God is working abroad.

@Lamvegito: I can scrape my throat raw with an ice pick, that doesn't mean I have strep throat.
#20IamvegitoPosted 2/15/2013 9:26:36 AM
1: It's an "I", as in "I am."

2: Yes, American churches are "scraping their throats with ice picks" by avoiding real Christianity. I agree.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."