This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The reality of Buddhism - Explained by Reddit

#1FingerpuppetPosted 2/14/2013 7:34:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/zyPXI.jpg

It's good to be back. I finally got a new computer (Windows 7 broke in December and all of the drivers that an Asus needs to function properly were wiped as well) that is running Windows 8. Yes, it's awful.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/214-paranormal-conspiracy/63352960#16
The greatest shut down ever.
#2JonWood007Posted 2/14/2013 7:43:54 PM
I actually found that graphic to be very informative.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#3TheRealJiraiyaPosted 2/14/2013 7:44:38 PM
Hes a crab

smoking a cigar
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#4Hustle KongPosted 2/14/2013 7:45:48 PM
Good old worthless /r/atheism.

And I think you mean misinformative, as in very overly simplistic. But what could be expected from them? Actual critical thought?
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#5Hustle KongPosted 2/14/2013 7:46:48 PM
After all, why read books, when you can read comic strips from someone who may have read a comic strip written by someone who may have spoken to someone who may have read a book?
---
Shooting Game never die.
#6TheRealJiraiyaPosted 2/14/2013 7:47:54 PM
Honestly, though, any time someone says "what drives us, as atheists, is REASON" I laugh internally and dismiss them.

Every religious or areligious group has people with reason as well as hateful bigots as well as the woefully underinformed.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#7Hustle KongPosted 2/14/2013 7:49:01 PM
TheRealJiraiya posted...
Honestly, though, any time someone says "what drives us, as atheists, is REASON" I laugh internally and dismiss them.

As you should. Laughter is good for you.

But maybe we should take a play from the Dawkins followers and laugh outwardly, to hopefully shame them from their idiotic ways?
---
Shooting Game never die.
#8Hustle KongPosted 2/14/2013 7:51:40 PM
"at this point, I feel a need to stress something important: This cosmology is meant to be interpreted LITERALLY. None of this is metaphor."

In some circles, yes. And in some, no. As much as r/atheists love to simplify so that their feeble minds can attempt to digest anything, Buddhism is a very diverse collection of beliefs. And in that diversity, there are many, many that take it exactly AS metaphor.
---
Shooting Game never die.
#9Hustle KongPosted 2/14/2013 8:41:38 PM(edited)
It is very worth pointing out that Buddhism has been described by Buddhist teachers as a finger pointing to the moon, or a tile with which you knock on the door, and then discard.

Or a boat that you use to cross to the other side of a river. Once you cross, you do not carry the boat on your back.

The meaning of these metaphors should be obvious. The teachings of Buddhism are tools. They are not objective reality. They are not thus. To confuse the teachings of the Buddha with objective reality is to take the menu for the meal, the map for the territory.

This is all very basic part of the religions known as Buddhism. That a good deal of Buddhists themselves will sometimes look to the finger instead of that towards which it points is probably inescapable, given that we are all human, and to look for the simple answers and the pacifier is probably hard-wired into us.

The frustration and vexation sets in when people who make a great deal of pretense to rationality and critical thought take these very same shortcuts without realizing what they are doing, or the hypocrisy in their doing so. It's not as if there is a dearth of information on Buddhism or it's teachings. It's literally the laziest thing in the world to depend on a short cartoon to inform your idea of a tradition that has a great deal of history and thought.

When this kind of mental short-cut is taken by someone explicitly anti-intellectual, it's a bit easier to understand. But when it's done by supposed "rationalists", it's just mind-aching.

There's also the frustration of someone who seems to have not even an adequate superficial understanding telling me what I believe as a Buddhist, when he or she clearly has no real clue what they're talking about.

They're exactly like the type of fundie who claims atheism and scientism are "religions". And you'd think that that sort of idiocy is something they'd want to avoid.
---
Shooting Game never die.
#10bratt100Posted 2/14/2013 8:30:34 PM
It has it's value. Many people who have comes to terms with the lack of a god feel they need to let it out. Many of them are upset about how they where treated and understandably angry as you would if you felt you where being lied to your whole life. this gives many a sense of community when we find out that there are others who feel the same way.

Yes in many cases it comes out as rude and over simplified but it is also no less true. As the point they make are in many cases valid.
---
If you believe in the flying Spaghetti Monster and are 100% proud of it copy this to your sig.