This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The reality of Buddhism - Explained by Reddit

#31mercurydudePosted 2/14/2013 11:39:20 PM
I have never spent any of my time as a Buddhist concerned about being reborn as a grasshopper, goat, or hungry ghost. I don't spend my time fretting that some horrible karmic atrocity awaits me because thousands of bacteria are killed every time I brush my teeth. These just aren't things that I believe in, nor have I ever. They were never presented to me as being extremely important, nor have they ever been. I've never encountered any pressure from the people who do literally believe those things that it's essential that I must also believe them, or that it would be inappropriate for me to believe them metaphorically if I were so inclined.

There's this story from India that pops up a lot in teachings about Buddhism and Hinduism. The story is about a king bringing five blind men into his palace and entertaining himself by having them touch an elephant and guess what it is. The guy who grabs a leg thinks it's a pillar, the guy who grabs the end of the tail thinks it's a brush, the guy who grabs the tusk thinks it's a plowshare, etc. They all have their different ideas about what this thing is, and each is so certain that he's right that they eventually come to blows, to the delight of the king. The elephant represents the ultimate reality and the blind men represent the various arrogant religious factions squabbling over who is right.

You don't have a teaching like that in a religion that claims "You must believe 1) THIS 2) THIS and 3) THIS." I hope that, in the future, the author of that comic won't just make snap judgments about a religion based upon a wikipedia article, because he certainly didn't take the time to thoroughly research the subject matter. The ignorance about Buddhism found in that comic is comparable to what you'd find in a Chick Tract on the same subject.
---
"I am going to light a fire in Paradise and pour water on Hell, so that both veils completely vanish." - Rabia Al-'Adawiyya
#32TheRealJiraiyaPosted 2/14/2013 11:40:55 PM
Fingerpuppet posted...
I don't think that many people here know this about me, but I absolutely hate hypocrisy. I admit that I always assumed that HK was sort of a beacon in the mist when it came to being reasonable and polite and that I overreacted when he talked about r/atheism.

HK has lately been, from what Ive seen, getting sick of other atheists misrepresenting religious perspectives. Everyone has times like that, where their threshold for that sort of thing is pretty low. Id cut him some slack. He is still the guy that you know and respect.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#33TheRealJiraiyaPosted 2/14/2013 11:43:16 PM
going to bed for real now :P
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#34Fingerpuppet(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 11:47:40 PM
TheRealJiraiya posted...
Fingerpuppet posted...
I don't think that many people here know this about me, but I absolutely hate hypocrisy. I admit that I always assumed that HK was sort of a beacon in the mist when it came to being reasonable and polite and that I overreacted when he talked about r/atheism.

HK has lately been, from what Ive seen, getting sick of other atheists misrepresenting religious perspectives. Everyone has times like that, where their threshold for that sort of thing is pretty low. Id cut him some slack. He is still the guy that you know and respect.

I understand that completely. Sorry if I caused you any trouble, HK <3
---
I recently came back to this site. I don't have an interesting sig, so please say something interesting that I can put here.
#35Maverick3000Posted 2/15/2013 12:12:14 AM
My issue comes in when people expect tolerance and civility - I assume that we all do expect tolerance and civility - but then go out and insult a group of people

Someone made a comic with a "I KNOW EVERYTHING" attitude that misrepresented an entire religious group on stuff that anyone who did basic research would know. I think that is far more insulting than anything in this thread.
---
we're not all geniuses like you Maverick. >_> - AWrulez
#36Hustle KongPosted 2/15/2013 6:30:04 AM
I understand that completely. Sorry if I caused you any trouble, HK <3

It is awfully easy to defuse my annoyance-bomb, it seems. <3 back at you.

That's exactly what my problem was, and what my problem is with /r/atheism. The oversimplification and misrepresentation of "the other" is something I am having more of a difficult time abiding with good humor. And this is something I see all the time from them. It's especially grating to me, because there is a lot of clamor from a good deal of them as being so reasonable.

And the hypocrisy (which gets to me, too) in that just sort of sets me off.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#37IamvegitoPosted 2/15/2013 6:55:36 AM
Am I supposed to take something seriously that starts with "superstitious bullcrap?"
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#38Dathrowed1Posted 2/15/2013 7:41:41 AM
Hustle Kong posted...
In some circles, yes. And in some, no. As much as r/atheists love to simplify so that their feeble minds can attempt to digest anything, Buddhism is a very diverse collection of beliefs. And in that diversity, there are many, many that take it exactly AS metaphor.

I think that's one thing they did get right
---
sig
#39HeadEXplodePosted 2/16/2013 6:22:10 PM
iirc Guatama didn't really talk about gods or the afterlife. All that stuff about reincarnation and devas got added later.
---
"The only thing that gives me hope...is that someday my prince will come...
In Spain, they'd say, 'El delfin esta en el Jaccuzi.'"
#40gamesrgreatPosted 2/16/2013 9:33:02 PM
My issue comes in when people expect tolerance and civility - I assume that we all do expect tolerance and civility - but then go out and insult a group of people

Don't take it personally. Every forum feels like it has to insult forums on another site. Reddit users say LOL GameFAQs that site is atrocious. GameFAQs says comicbookresources has horrible forums. They say GameFAQs has horrible forums. I wouldn't look too much into it
---
D-Jesus, Christ Bosh, King James 3:16
The Miami Heat 2012 Champs- Miller Time