This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The reality of Buddhism - Explained by Reddit

#41childofdelightPosted 2/17/2013 1:00:41 AM
My issue comes in when people expect tolerance and civility - I assume that we all do expect tolerance and civility - but then go out and insult a group of people

This is GameFAQs, need I say more?

Anyway, I've always found Buddhism to be more of a path towards personal growth than a religion, but there are, indeed, various sects out there that treat it as such. Even Confuscianism was treated as a religion by various groups of people in China.
---
//I`*'\;:;:;/'*`*`{ ~ Light and Love ~ }`*`*'\;:;:;/'*`I\Y/I`'*|~P L~\*'`'I\\
|]I'*'`|:/\:|`'*n*'`{ ~ Blessed Be ~ } `'*u*'`|:/\:|`'*'I[ | ]I`'*|~U R~\*'`I[|
#42KNessJMPosted 2/17/2013 8:01:01 PM
I've seen that cartoon before, and it is indeed lacking in proper understanding. That is representative of the beliefs of many traditionalists in Asia, but those views are really pretty rare among Western Buddhists. In the Soto Zen sect, for instance (which is what I practice), almost all of these things are taken either to be metaphorical or simply unknown. I myself am agnostic about the concept of reincarnation. I don't know if it happens or not, but that's not an impediment to my practice. Part of what the Buddha taught was to have a healthy sense of skepticism in one's beliefs. For a non-Buddhist to insist on what Buddhists "really believe" is ignorant and arrogant.

And yes, Western Buddhism does have a tendency to walk a fine line between religion and philosophy. Which side any given person falls on depends on their specific beliefs. There's an emerging population of "Secular Buddhists" who take it strictly as a philosophy and reject all metaphysical and supernatural beliefs.

Also, as a redditor, /r/atheism is pretty bad. Did you see that "Faces of Atheism" trend a while back where people were posting self portraits along with quotes about their noble struggles against discrimination? That was what made me unsubscribe. Plus a lot of the top posts are just Facebook rebuttals against fundies. That sub gives off the appearance of being mostly populated by angry, self-righteous teenagers. Decent intellectual content or discussion is exceedingly rare. It's mostly just an echo chamber of "Religion is dumb, amirite?"

As of the time of this posting, the top ten posts were: 3 Quote images, 2 Twitter screenshots, a Facebook screeenshot, a comic about gay marriage, 2 memes, and a quote about Cargo Cults.
---
Quote of the Week: "There is an inner logic and we're taught to stay far from it. It's simple and elegant but it's cruel and antithetic."
#43linkkhalid89Posted 2/17/2013 9:50:46 PM
I'm no expert on Buddhism, but didn't Buddha basically refuse to answer most questions concerning metaphysics? I would assume, from the get-go, that this makes Buddhism less "supernatural" than other religions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourteen_unanswerable_questions
#44gamesrgreatPosted 2/18/2013 7:09:29 PM
After all, why read books, when you can read comic strips from someone who may have read a comic strip written by someone who may have spoken to someone who may have read a book?

Btw I'm still making my way through The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching
---
D-Jesus, Christ Bosh, King James 3:16
The Miami Heat 2012 Champs- Miller Time
#45Hustle KongPosted 2/18/2013 7:10:53 PM
That's good to hear. I hope you're enjoying it.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#46AdmiralBisonPosted 2/19/2013 2:06:41 AM
it's ok.

through out our human existence Religions and superstitions have come and gone. Why should todays common era Religions be any different regardless how many differing view points, literal or metaphorical, generous or condemning?.

Islam, Christianity, Bhuddism, Hinduism, Judaism, Mormonism....
Time will do to them like it did other past Religions eventually.
---
If delusions and Illusions are an en-escapable part of our entire lives, why not just pick a positive one?
#47AdmiralBisonPosted 2/19/2013 2:38:25 AM
childofdelight posted...
My issue comes in when people expect tolerance and civility - I assume that we all do expect tolerance and civility - but then go out and insult a group of people

This is GameFAQs, need I say more?

Anyway, I've always found Buddhism to be more of a path towards personal growth than a religion, but there are, indeed, various sects out there that treat it as such. Even Confuscianism was treated as a religion by various groups of people in China.

for goodness sakes.
semantics aside it is still a Religion.
The same argument has been said about Christianity where its not a Religion but something along the lines as a personal relationship with Jesus or some bs like that.

Metaphorical, literal, alagorical interpretations with varying denominations and sects.

Where the Naraka have we heard that before!?!

Bhuddism does not and should not escape an honest critique and should also be recognized for what it is no matter the spin we like to put on it as well.

something like a comic obviously has put Hustle on such a defense, but I think it's about time that more Religions are given scrutiny. It maybe away to help other Religious Theists of different persuasions to look closely at their own beliefs if they saw another Religion mirroring theirs or is in the hot seat more often.

I would like to see more of these and I would also like to see more examinations to how other Religions hold up to the light of reality and facts.

Next up Hinuduism
---
If delusions and Illusions are an en-escapable part of our entire lives, why not just pick a positive one?
#48Hustle KongPosted 2/19/2013 4:38:20 AM
something like a comic obviously has put Hustle on such a defense, but I think it's about time that more Religions are given scrutiny

Nowhere did I say it was not a religion. Nowhere did I say it should not be examined. But it should be examined intelligently, which the "comic" certainly did not do.
---
Shooting Game never die.
#49Wandering__HeroPosted 2/19/2013 5:53:18 AM
AdmiralBison posted...

something like a comic obviously has put Hustle on such a defense, but I think it's about time that more Religions are given scrutiny. It maybe away to help other Religious Theists of different persuasions to look closely at their own beliefs if they saw another Religion mirroring theirs or is in the hot seat more often.

I would like to see more of these and I would also like to see more examinations to how other Religions hold up to the light of reality and facts.

Next up Hinuduism

But then I thin its only fair that if this is applied Hustle should also be allowed to apply such "scrutiny" to the behaviour of certain groups of Atheists, without anyone flying off the handle.

I mean fair is fair right?
---
Click the sites these contain to donate to charity for free http://www.thenonprofits.com/
#50Hustle KongPosted 2/19/2013 6:01:57 AM
I'm also an atheist.

Besides, I'd hope I would never resort to that kind of borderline dishonesty in my investigation or exposition of a subject.

It's basically a chick tract with a better vocabulary. Same shoddy non-standards of critical thought.
---
Shooting Game never die.