This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is heaven so beautiful?

#11itslikePosted 2/15/2013 3:24:23 PM
Heaven will be just as ugly as hell, you're surrounded by rapists, thieves, murderers, only difference is they said sorry once.
---
the guy has to go to church at 630am. he is already in hell ~ gumbyxcore99
#12ThuggernautzPosted 2/15/2013 3:28:30 PM
You won't know the difference, you're forcibly made happy. You could be getting flayed alive in heaven by God (it must be a perfect and morally good action, haven't you heard?) and you'd still be eternally happy.

Ever seen the movie Equilibrium? Like that, but with less drugs and more magical happiness.
#13TheRealJiraiyaPosted 2/15/2013 3:30:52 PM
quicksilvver posted...
Heaven will be just as ugly as hell, you're surrounded by rapists, thieves, murderers, only difference is they said sorry once.

Saying sorry once is not the requirement for getting eternal life. Please learn a religion before you try bashing it, this just makes you look stupid.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#14ravenomoar(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 3:48:16 PM
TheRealJiraiya posted...
Well youre in luck TC, because the actual final destination for humans is a new, nature-filled earth :D

Which will, admittedly, have cities and places of human residence which may or may not literally be paved with gold. The point there is that the things that are so precious in this life (gold, money) will be worth so little in the afterlife that they will be something we walk upon without a thought. That is the message. Not beauty.

Yes and I am completely accepting of that. I think personally I do not even want to be put in a casket. I want to be cremated so I don't consume space on the valuable planet which is already heavily polluted. I don't so much attribute any of that to an afterlife. Just things coming full circle.
#15kozlo100Posted 2/15/2013 3:56:37 PM
ravenomoar posted...
I think personally I do not even want to be put in a casket. I want to be cremated so I don't consume space on the valuable planet which is already heavily polluted.

Cremation is actually worse for the environment. I think the greenest way you can go is simply burying your body without having it embalmed. You'll just decompose naturally that way.

I'd personally like to be buried that way, and a tree planted in that spot. I like the idea of parts that used to be me becoming part of a tree.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#16FlashOfLightPosted 2/15/2013 4:03:01 PM
quicksilvver posted...

Because we're all alike, but that's what love is, to accept people despite their very many differences. If every one thinks they're better than every one else, that's not heaven, that's an Olympic Competition, or at worst - School. (So and so Laude, Magna so and so Laude, and Summa so and so Laude)

*I don't know if the word in between is filtered out, so I'm not risking it, just in case.
---
Hi, do you have an unused or unwanted sig? Don't delay, we can help, write to Better Sig Now, P.O. Box 917, for an affordable, quality sig - Today!
#17SirThinkALotPosted 2/15/2013 10:02:53 PM
I always assumed that the streets paved with gold was a metaphor to emphasize the wealth and permanence(gold doesnt rust) of the new earth. Particularly since it most comes from Revelation.

I dont know what the new earth will be like beyond very good. Theres hints throughout the Bible, and I can make some guesses, but ultimately it comes down to trusting God to make it great.

On that note: I find cities, golden decor(if its not overdone) and nature beautiful. I'm sure the new earth will involve all of those things.
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#18countzanderPosted 2/16/2013 3:19:33 AM
Nature isn't beautiful. Only wealth is beautiful. That's why heaven is made of gold.
---
http://i.imgur.com/k1nGh.jpg
#19FlashOfLightPosted 2/16/2013 10:54:08 AM
And then people wonder why atheists have their way with christians.

As Christ said - "Who hath ears to hear, let him hear."

First Revelation 3:18

"I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see."

Try what in the fire?

Revelation 21:18-21

"And the building of the wall of it was of jasper: and the city was pure gold, like unto clear glass.

And the foundations of the wall of the city were garnished with all manner of precious stones.
The first foundation was jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald;

The fifth, sardonyx; the sixth, sardius; the seventh, chrysolite; the eighth, beryl; the ninth, a topaz; the tenth, a chrysoprasus; the eleventh, a jacinth; the twelfth, an amethyst.

And the twelve gates were twelve pearls; every several gate was of one pearl: and the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass."

PRECEPT upon PRECEPT line UPON line ->

Job 23:10

"But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold."

Tried.

Job 28:12-18

"But where shall wisdom be found? and where is the place of understanding?
Man knoweth not the price thereof; neither is it found in the land of the living.

The depth saith, It is not in me: and the sea saith, It is not with me.
It cannot be gotten for gold, neither shall silver be weighed for the price thereof.

It cannot be valued with the gold of Ophir, with the precious onyx, or the sapphire.
The gold and the crystal cannot equal it: and the exchange of it shall not be for jewels of fine gold.
No mention shall be made of coral, or of pearls: for the price of wisdom is above rubies."

What is precious to God? Gold? Precious stones?

Psalms 19:9-10

"The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb."

What is clean and enduring and more to be desired than gold?

Matthew 13:13

"Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

1Peter 1:7

"That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:"

What did Christ say would be tried?
---
Hi, do you have an unused or unwanted sig? Don't delay, we can help, write to Better Sig Now, P.O. Box 917, for an affordable, quality sig - Today!
#20the_hedonistPosted 2/17/2013 7:48:58 AM
I don't know about having a tree planted on on top of me, but I do want a very simple burial. I do not want to be embalmed, and I only want a very simple wooden casket.
---
"Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart - His wounds have paid my ransom."