This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Atheism is a religion - it is a belief that God does not exist.

#81fudrickPosted 2/17/2013 1:11:37 AM
Patriotwolf posted...
Say for example, how do you know you will get past today alive? Or tomorrow?

I don't know that, and don't recall claiming to know that

Patriotwolf posted...
And if the answer is that you don't know

Oh, good, you must have realized how ridiculous it was to ask the questions you just asked, and anticipated the only reasonable answer a person would give

Patriotwolf posted...
then how can you make short term let alone long term plans. Paying the bills, doing laundry, going to college, etc..

Well, never mind about that last response.

Seriously? If I end up living long enough, short or long term plans can be fulfilled, and if I don't, it doesn't really matter anyway. The fact that you would compare this to real faith is actually kind of insulting, to a person who values faith or to a person who does not personally possess real faith

Patriotwolf posted...
It would seem that most non believers don't understand true faith or imply that they need some form of it for anything. Maybe because they don't like to rely on something that they can't control, and is not tangible. Allot of atheists I have come across don't seem to be able to wrap their head around what true faith really is. So instead they try to use the word trust, which, while very similar, is not exactly the same.

This honestly just seems like total rambling to me... I'm just having trouble attempting to discern an actual coherent point here. Sorry
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#82PatriotwolfPosted 2/17/2013 1:39:34 AM
First of all, I said it was an example. It wasn't an accusation, so don't be so defensive. Also, I said it was a type of faith and in no way implied it was on the same level as faith in God.

The only reason you thought it was a ramble is because you apparently completely misinterpreted it.
---
"You're just one big headache, and I got a pistol full of aspirin"
"Who cares if you screw others?"-1337toothbrush
#83fudrickPosted 2/17/2013 1:48:30 AM
Patriotwolf posted...
First of all, I said it was an example. It wasn't an accusation, so don't be so defensive.

I hate this trend that seems to be going around recently. If you post something, and I disagree with it, that's not "being defensive." It's called refuting your statements.

And how was it not an accusation, anyway? This discussion started with you claiming that "you have to use some form of faith ever day. Everryone does."

Patriotwolf posted...
Also, I said it was a type of faith and in no way implied it was on the same level as faith in God.

I don't think that I said you implied that... did I?

Patriotwolf posted...
The only reason you thought it was a ramble is because you apparently completely misinterpreted it.

I'm not sure how I could have misinterpreted something without actually interpreting it at all. Like I said, I have no clue what you meant there.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#84Joe605Posted 2/17/2013 8:43:27 AM
Atheism is a religion like off is a tv channel and abstinence is a sex position.
---
Bowling IS a sport.
The good thing about science is that it is true whether or not you believe in it.
#85Joe605Posted 2/17/2013 9:10:02 AM
I grew up in a Catholic household, went to Catholic elementary school, went to a high school that required confirmation in order to attend, and now attend St. John's University. I know full well what faith, and "true faith" are, and I much prefer knowledge instead.
---
Bowling IS a sport.
The good thing about science is that it is true whether or not you believe in it.
#86JonWood007Posted 2/17/2013 10:00:53 AM(edited)
Patriotwolf posted...
JonWood007 posted...
Not to mention I kinda take issue with the general theme of the new testament demanding belief without proof. if Christianity and God was as real as say, the sun is to us, we wouldn't need signs or proof.

Saying something like that just leads me to believe you're ignorant of the Bible let alone the new testament which you take issue with. And its extremely narrow minded considering that you have to use some form of faith ever day. Everryone does.

"Blessed are those who do not see but believe."

Nope, I don't think I'm ignorant at all. Quite the opposite in fact.

As for having faith in something every day, I'm gonna make a bar graph to explain the levels of faith and evidence in things I do every day.

O = evidence, X = faith

Religious faith

OXXXXXXXXX

Faith in things I do every day

OOOOOOOOXX

Yes, you have some level of faith, but there is faith that is well placed and faith that is not well placed, faith based on mountains of evidence, and faith based on nothing. Just because people have small levels of faith in their lives doesn't give you a license to just say **** it, I'll just believe anything! That's called being gullible.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#87ravenomoarPosted 2/17/2013 10:45:16 AM
Joe605 posted...
I grew up in a Catholic household, went to Catholic elementary school, went to a high school that required confirmation in order to attend, and now attend St. John's University. I know full well what faith, and "true faith" are, and I much prefer knowledge instead.

As a catholic I always felt inadequate. Nothing I did was good enough felt guilty of everything. My own humanity was shameful. As an atheist I truly feel free and good about living. Pursuing reason has never made me happier. I also never felt like I fit in to church. I spent a good 20+ years blindly following faith. I started to seek the truth and evolution and science gave me answers.
#88LastManStanding(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2013 11:02:57 AM
Sin supposed to make you feel guilty and bad. You should rejoice when you fought off temptations. Embracing sin, going through spiritual death, shutting down your consciousness, guess you killed of reception of guild.
Wait till disease comes, then you will remember God.
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#89LastManStanding(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2013 11:26:27 AM
God is loving and just. Remember that.
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#90Lord_IchmaelPosted 2/17/2013 11:34:42 AM
LastManStanding posted...
Sin supposed to make you feel guilty and bad. You should rejoice when you fought off temptations. Embracing sin, going through spiritual death, shutting down your consciousness, guess you killed of reception of guild.
Wait till disease comes, then you will remember God.

As usual, you are incapable of understanding how non-Christians think. We still feel guilt. We just don't take it to God since we don't think God exists.

LastManStanding posted...
God is loving and just. Remember that.

You are the equivalent of a salesman who jumps straight to the price of their product without explaining why people should buy it.