This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

People who write in books

#1TheRealJiraiyaPosted 2/15/2013 6:20:18 PM
Aight, lots of my friends make notes and marks on their Bibles

This is something I could never do. The idea of having writing on a book just drives me nuts.

Who here does/decidedly does not write in books?
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#2Hustle KongPosted 2/15/2013 6:21:50 PM
I absolutely do not write in books.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#3OrangeWizardPosted 2/15/2013 6:23:17 PM
I'd never do it on a bible, but we have a lot of different books, most with wide margins for the explicit purpose of writing stuff down.
But in a bible? Ew
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive things.
#4Lord_IchmaelPosted 2/15/2013 6:23:45 PM
I don't write in books either. But this seems to be only loosely related to religion.
#5TheRealJiraiya(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 6:24:38 PM
Lord_Ichmael posted...
I don't write in books either. But this seems to be only loosely related to religion.

The thought was sparked by Bibles, but I wanted to make it more broad so non-Christians could participate
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#6AynRandySavagePosted 2/15/2013 6:25:30 PM
I love writing in textbooks. And I love buying textbooks with notes already in them.
#7mercurydudePosted 2/15/2013 6:36:35 PM
I never ever, ever write in books. If I ever got the urge, I'd just write myself a note and stick it in the relevant page. I had one literature professor who swore by writing in them, saying that it helped you to remember certain passages and such, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I hate buying used books from book sales and seeing a lot of notes and highlighting in there.

And to make this post somewhat relevant to this board, my attitude seems to run in the family, because I own my great grandfather's Bibles and he stuck letters and note cards in there, but never wrote in the text itself. :)
---
"I am going to light a fire in Paradise and pour water on Hell, so that both veils completely vanish." - Rabia Al-'Adawiyya
#8CuddleWithClawsPosted 2/15/2013 6:57:57 PM
If it's a book that I need to annotate or condense parts of, I keep a booklet of sticky notes on hand.
---
It's easy to claim that a thing is self-evident when you've already convinced yourself that it is.
#9JonWood007Posted 2/15/2013 7:08:08 PM
I dont like to write on books. I kinda feel like I'm ruining them by doing so.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#10kozlo100Posted 2/15/2013 7:11:39 PM
I typically don't write in books. It's probably equal parts reverence for the book and not being a note taking type of person.

I will say though, I've had some great times reading fiction that someone else has written in.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick