This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

People who write in books

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. People who write in books
4 years ago#11
I hi-lite passages or sentences that are especially meaningful to me. I don't write in margins, though.
4 years ago#12
No markings for me, except in a few rare cases (almost exclusively college literature and philosophy books).
From the ashes a fire shall be woken; A light from the shadows shall spring.
4 years ago#13
TheRealJiraiya posted...
Aight, lots of my friends make notes and marks on their Bibles

This is something I could never do. The idea of having writing on a book just drives me nuts.

Who here does/decidedly does not write in books?

I agree, and understand, this has always been a tabboo for me, I never highlighted anything or even wrote a check on the side, because I never want to mess with the book's integrity (how neat it looks) or preservation.

It's not much of a big deal, but yeah I detest it, I avoid it at all costs, but I have nothing against one who may do so, it's just my personal taste.
Hi, do you have an unused or unwanted sig? Don't delay, we can help, write to Better Sig Now, P.O. Box 917, for an affordable, quality sig - Today!
4 years ago#14
Honestly to me it just depends on what sort of book it is and why I bought it. If it's something that I bought cheap for the sole purpose of study and to constantly refer to it then I may well write in a few little notes here and there(I do this a lot with cookbooks actually). But for a nice novel or something that's ornate at all then no way.
We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
4 years ago#15
I don't write in books.. but I have two exceptions. I have highlighted textbooks, which is marking so falls into the same general category.. And books that have been received as gifts for my children, I have written their names and the sender when the sender has overlooked doing so.
3DS FC: 3265-5063-5380
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. ~ John Lennon
4 years ago#16
That's a good point, sthater. It's almost sacrilege not to write in a cookbook.

Textbooks don't count, I feel. They seem like simple information delivery systems and not proper books.
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
4 years ago#17
Strangely, the Bible is the only book I write in. I can't stand other books having marks or underlines or writing in it... but my Bible is full of stuff. Not sure why that is.
4 years ago#18
I don't write in any books, but I can understand why someone might make notes in a reference book (which is what I would class the bible as), so it doesn't really bother. People who fold down corners of pages in a novel though; they should be added to the special hell that Shepherd Book talked about.
4 years ago#19
It really does depend on the book, or even Bible.

My Bible I used throughout college probably doubled in weight due to all the notes and color-coded topical highlighting I did in it. It's the only one I write in besides my pocket NT. I used to have a Bible that every other page was blank for notes/sermons, but I never used it and gave it away.

Study books like concordances, dictionaries, and topical references, I don't. Those notes go into my college Bible.

Self help/leadership/non fiction books I highlight the most important parts so that I can skim through them later after reading them once.

Fiction books... Never. Gasp.... Why, just why?!?
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
4 years ago#20
I'll write brief notes in one of my Bible's if I feel so inspired, but most books I prefer to leave unadulterated by foreign ink. It's prettier that way.
"Christ is with those of humble mind, not with those who exalt themselves over his flock." -St. Clement of Rome.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. People who write in books

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived