This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Hasn't there been more evidence of Christianity than other religions?

#1TheGreatDebatePosted 2/17/2013 4:04:47 PM
http://www.inplainsite.org/html/bible_historical_evidence.html

As far as I know some religions have no way of proving validity because they are just conjured up by people who supposedly have "visions" (Joseph Smith comes to mind). The Bible holds records of events that supposedly happened and there have been some items found to help prove these events.
---
There's a difference between just believing in Jesus and actually following him. Jesus says to follow him, not just believe
#2Hustle KongPosted 2/17/2013 4:11:11 PM
I honestly cannot tell if you are kidding, or if this is serious.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#3Polish_CrusaderPosted 2/17/2013 4:19:22 PM
Theres more evidence for the god of the bible- historically, documented, and circumstantial, than any other belief system in the world. The only morons that complain about evidence are the ones who dont look at it.

This is was proved by Lee Stroebel, a lifetime atheist that found God through his personal research.
#4Lord_IchmaelPosted 2/17/2013 4:34:11 PM(edited)
This link's examples say nothing of the Bible's actual claims being true, just that the circumstances for some are plausible.
#5JonWood007Posted 2/17/2013 4:50:55 PM
That's a horribly unreliable source...
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#6TheRealJiraiyaPosted 2/17/2013 5:03:40 PM
Honestly, were I an atheist (I am not) these sorts of arguments wouldnt impress me much, because I think it is pretty obvious that much of the historical parts of the Bible are at least inspired by actual events. I also would not be surprised to see them in many other religions.

The other issue is even if they only exist in Christianity, that means they also exist in Judaism, which leaves not one but two valid religions hanging around.

I believe there are good ways to pursue the debate of whether Christianity is true, but this argument appears kind of lackluster to me

Interesting, though, because history is cool and archeology is cool and so on
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#7Faust_8Posted 2/17/2013 5:46:13 PM
So...

ITT: Person who says his religion has the most evidence.

Am I supposed to be surprised by this?
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while
#8bratt100Posted 2/17/2013 6:12:53 PM
Polish_Crusader posted...
Theres more evidence for the god of the bible- historically, documented, and circumstantial, than any other belief system in the world. The only morons that complain about evidence are the ones who dont look at it.

This is was proved by Lee Stroebel, a lifetime atheist that found God through his personal research.

Nope.
---
If you believe in the flying Spaghetti Monster and are 100% proud of it copy this to your sig.
#9GBALoserPosted 2/17/2013 6:23:23 PM
Polish_Crusader posted...

Correction: There is archaeological evidence that some events of the bible might have happened, but that neither proves the existence of God nor the infallibility of the Bible.
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#10mercurydudePosted 2/17/2013 6:34:12 PM
That there is some historical evidence for the Bible's claims is no more to the point than the same being true for the Odyssey. Though the city of Troy has been found, people aren't expected to believe in the Cyclops and the magic powers of Circe. That's pretty much the equivalent of what most Christians who use the "history" argument expect of non-Christians.
---
"I am going to light a fire in Paradise and pour water on Hell, so that both veils completely vanish." - Rabia Al-'Adawiyya