This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Mississippi bil could aallow prayer in school

#11the_hedonistPosted 2/18/2013 5:07:47 PM
mercurydude posted...
Supporters of a Mississippi bill that would legalize school prayer say the measure would ensure religious liberty.

Well, it would definitely ensure it for them, just not everyone else.

I knew a girl who used to pray in every class after the teacher's lesson was over. I'm tired of these theocrats trying to find ways to reintroduce forced prayer back into public schools. It isn't a public school teacher's job to teach Sunday school lessons.

Who is trying to force prayer?
---
"Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart - His wounds have paid my ransom."
#12mystic belmont(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 5:21:04 PM(edited)
Oh yeah, because being different and not praying with everyone else always turns out well. If there is one thing a kid wants, it's to be different.
---
"Freedom was meaningless without ownership and control over one's own body" -Henry McNeal Turner
[Evil Republican]
#13Hustle KongPosted 2/18/2013 5:31:40 PM
I always abstained from the pledge of allegiance as a child. No problems.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#14UnfairRepresentPosted 2/18/2013 5:55:00 PM
Hustle Kong posted...

Not everyone is so lucky
---
^ Hey now that's completely unfair.
http://i.imgur.com/45yVrRr.jpg
#15bratt100Posted 2/18/2013 7:08:58 PM
I don't see what this well accomplish. Children can pray in schools already...it just isn't okay for the prayer to be state sponsored. I think this well be a Trojan horse of sorts, paving the way for state sponsored prayer in schools.

While unlikely I feel that is his intention.
---
If you believe in the flying Spaghetti Monster and are 100% proud of it copy this to your sig.
#16Sir WillPosted 2/19/2013 7:12:51 AM
AynRandySavage posted...
If its individual prayer by students, then it's already protected by the Constitution
if its school-promoted prayer, then it's already prohibited by the Consitution

---
River Song: Well, I was off to this gay gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled when I thought 'Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish, I think i'll kill the Fuhrer'
#17ThuggernautzPosted 2/19/2013 8:10:43 AM
AynRandySavage posted...
If its individual prayer by students, then it's already protected by the Constitution
if its school-promoted prayer, then it's already prohibited by the Consitution
#18mrplainswalkerPosted 2/19/2013 11:14:37 PM
I can't seem to find the actual text of this bill. Are they talking about official teacher-led prayer? That clearly won't fly. Although, Mississippi is a little bit behind the times. With the recent ratification of the 13th amendment (which many state citizens disapproved of, mind you), they're still not due to ban segregation for another 100 or so years, or even to allow women to vote for another 50. With that in mind, something like school led prayer seems as arcane as an integrated circuit to a 12th century peasant.
---
Failure to at least give this show a chance gives anyone you see the right to punch you in the face.
- Spiritclaw on Battlestar Galactica
#19dkcprjePosted 2/20/2013 12:13:33 AM
Three cheers for ignorant politics! Hip hip! -_-
---
boobs ar fidjisafda
#20CalmOfEmptinessPosted 2/21/2013 12:27:40 AM
Hustle Kong posted...

Oh man, after 9/11 happened (I was just turning 12), I remember for a year I would be standing up really big and puffed up and saying the pledge louder than everybody else in the room.