This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I can't wrap my mind around how someone could be so sure of their religion

#1tangnetsPosted 2/22/2013 3:05:48 PM
being the correct one, or the path that will lead them to a good afterlife. I was born a muslim, and firmly believed I was following the true path of life up until 6 months ago. I started to realize that if I had been born into a jewish, hundu, christian, etc. family, that would be the religion that I'd believe is correct.

The large majority of people who are associated with a religion do so because they were born into it. So then what really gives anybody the idea that their religion is correct? There are so many different religions and sects, and none of them really give anymore reason to follow through with their teachings over another religion's.
---
-------MISSION--------
--ACCOMPLISHED--
#2OrangeWizardPosted 2/22/2013 3:59:32 PM
and none of them really give anymore reason to follow through with their teachings over another religion's.

Really? How do you know?
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive things.
#3Hustle KongPosted 2/22/2013 4:04:18 PM
You can't wrap your mind back around to 6 months ago?
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#4TheRealJiraiyaPosted 2/22/2013 4:12:50 PM
Hustle Kong posted...
You can't wrap your mind back around to 6 months ago?

Yeah, that was weird

Anyways TC, being totally honest here, Im NOT sure. I believe that I am correct, and I believe I have good reasons to be correct, but I will never be 100% certain, and thats a good thing. Anyone who walks onto this board claiming certainty should not be listened to.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#5mohsin28Posted 2/22/2013 4:22:10 PM
You make the assumption that the majority follow what they were raised to follow. I grew up in a muslim household but around the age of 13 i started having doubts about it. so I made an agreement with myself that i would find a religion and commit to it. I began first by narrowing down my options with the idea that a supreme creator must be alone, and thus turned only to the main monotheistic abrahamic faiths. After finding flaws in both christianity and judaism, i turned back to islam and examined it closely. I said that if i found something in my religion that was scientifically incorrect or something i couldn't morally agree with, I'd leave it. I have yet to find any, and my faith is stronger than ever. It all came from questioning my beliefs. Even still, it's virtually impossible to be certain, and as mentioned earlier, thats a good thing. I don't believe anyone can say with 100% certainty that their religion is correct.
---
you better watch what the **** flies outta yo mouth,
or imma highjack a plane and fly it into your house.
#6JonWood007Posted 2/22/2013 4:33:15 PM
People are generally raised to believe it is truth and don't push hard enough in questioning it. They will accept on faith, and tend to compartmentalize from the rest of their life.

Some people convert into religion, but I haven't really seen any good reasons to aside from personal experiences that I myself have not experienced. Intellectually, I see no reason to accept religion.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#7C_MatPosted 2/22/2013 4:33:36 PM
If you'd been born into an atheist family or atheistic culture, you'd probably be an atheist. I don't think the argument that people believe whatever they were born into shows anything in the way of any religion or non-religion being true. I don't think it's fair to use that as an argument against Islam or anything. No matter what someone's belief system is, they need further proof than "I was raised to believe this way."

To answer the topic title, I think someone can be 99.99% sure their religion is true. I believe in Christianity because it carries the greatest explanatory power for how the world works (in my opinion). I would sooner believe that I was trapped in the Matrix, or that I'm a butterfly dreaming I'm a man, than I would believe in any religion other than Christianity. I don't know if that qualifies as 100% certainty or not.
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#8GBALoserPosted 2/22/2013 4:38:07 PM
It really comes down to the path we think is the best path. No one can honestly say they know for certain that their spiritual path is the right path. When I began my own journey, I outright told my younger brother not to follow me down that path, for I did not know where it would lead me. It is an awful lot of introspection and investigation, and at best it's still a shot in the dark. If I thought the best religion is the one I was born into, then it would still be my religion.
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#9KNessJMPosted 2/22/2013 5:40:39 PM
What TRJ said.
---
Quote of the Week: "There is an inner logic and we're taught to stay far from it. It's simple and elegant but it's cruel and antithetic."
#10kozlo100Posted 2/22/2013 6:35:06 PM
I'm going to go with what HK said.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick