This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Buddhism Q: Why should someone undestand not self?

#1str8KnowledgePosted 2/22/2013 11:20:20 PM
If the perception of self is useful would developing not-self make you lose the usefulness of self?
#2AdmiralBisonPosted 2/23/2013 12:08:01 AM
str8Knowledge posted...
If the perception of self is useful would developing not-self make you lose the usefulness of self?

Don't know.
Hustle is probably your guy to go to answer that question in regard to the Religion of Buddhism.
---
If delusions and Illusions are an en-escapable part of our entire lives, why not just pick a positive one?
#3str8Knowledge(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 12:34:49 AM
OKaaayyy..
#4Hustle KongPosted 2/23/2013 6:26:36 AM(edited)
Do you lose the usefulness of thinking in terms of "sunrise" and "sunset" when you learn that both are an illusion, and that the sun does neither?

Space and time being thought of as separate things remains useful when you learn about relativity, and the clock and calendar are still used evey day, even when you understand what they are.

Based on the frequency of and sort of questions you ask, it really, really seems to me like you should boing some sort of sangha so that you can get all of the answers you seem to need.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#5str8Knowledge(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 2:02:14 PM
I need a simpler example please. How would an awakened one with no knowledge of the solar system answer the question? I could try to answer your question but wouldn't be confident with my answer because the question is hard to understand.
#6KNessJMPosted 2/23/2013 3:18:38 PM
What Hustle is saying is that you don't lose the perception of self when you realize that there is no self, you just see it for what it is -- a tool to communicate.
---
Quote of the Week: "There is an inner logic and we're taught to stay far from it. It's simple and elegant but it's cruel and antithetic."
#7str8Knowledge(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2013 3:41:18 PM
If the perception of self is just a tool to communicate with then why would there be a reason to understand not-self?
#8IamvegitoPosted 2/25/2013 3:56:38 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9Hustle KongPosted 2/25/2013 4:04:34 PM
str8Knowledge posted...
If the perception of self is just a tool to communicate with then why would there be a reason to understand not-self?

Why would there be a reason to understand anything beyond the apparent?
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#10str8Knowledge(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2013 4:18:42 PM
I need answers not questions.