This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Buddhism Q: Why should someone undestand not self?

#11Hustle KongPosted 2/25/2013 3:19:02 PM
Then maybe Buddhism isn't for you.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#12Hustle KongPosted 2/25/2013 3:23:02 PM
More diplomatically: if you can understand why it is desirable to seek the truth rather than rely on delusion in the case of the sun rising and setting, or any other thing, you have answered the "why" as far as why understanding no-self is desirable.

But seriously, your apparent need for answers is troubling.
---
Shooting Game never die.
#13str8Knowledge(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2013 10:51:06 PM
"Then maybe Buddhism isn't for you."

Why do you say 'maybe'?. Is there something incompatible with a person wanting answers to questions and buddhism?

"More diplomatically: if you can understand why it is desirable to seek the truth rather than rely on delusion in the case of the sun rising and setting, or any other thing, you have answered the "why" as far as why understanding no-self is desirable."

I already knew why you said that. I didn't want to do a bunch of work to find out that it doesn't answer the question. Is it not possible for the answer to your question to be communicated to me? So I don't have to figure it out? Just tell me please.

"But seriously, your apparent need for answers is troubling."

No it's not.
#14Hustle KongPosted 2/25/2013 11:14:49 PM
Yes, it is. Given as much as you seem to have read on Buddhism, you would know that some work on your end is expected.
---
Shooting Game never die.
#15KNessJMPosted 2/26/2013 12:21:04 PM
Is there something incompatible with a person wanting answers to questions and buddhism?

The thing is, it's a pretty common occurrence in Buddhism for a question to simply raise even more questions when it's resolved, so answering a question with another question is common practice to further guide somebody to what they're seeking.

Is it not possible for the answer to your question to be communicated to me? So I don't have to figure it out? Just tell me please.

The answers you get from somebody else are never going to be as good as those you find yourself. A major part of Buddhism is contemplating or meditating upon questions and paradoxes and coming to the truth on your own. Nobody can do this for you, they can only point to where they've come from.
---
Quote of the Week: "There is an inner logic and we're taught to stay far from it. It's simple and elegant but it's cruel and antithetic."