This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

One thing I notice a few Christians say

#1DarkContractorPosted 2/24/2013 7:38:21 AM(edited)
whenever someone like me or any of the deconverts mention their experiences of trying to find Jesus, and just finding nothing, it seems that many of us are often met with "I cannot testify to your experience, all I know is that you quit" which is all fine and dandy for justifying your own believes. But it almost seems that these guys are putting their believes on a pedestal. If you try and convince us that God is real and tell us to go look for him so we can experience something incredible, then more or less saying "How do I know if you're being honest about what happened?" seems very silly, as you guys forget that as long as I know I'm being honest, I have to find a reason to believe this could be the real deal. Few of us are trying to talk you out of it, most of are just trying to get you to leave us alone about things like gay marriage and abortions and to quit indoctrinating ignorant 3rd world countries.

As JonWood likes to point out, You have the burden of proof, you're supposed to be convincing us. Just because you can't testify to their experiences doesn't mean its false. It would definitely be silly to let their testimony get in your way of finding the truth, but if you're trying to convince me but can only criticize my 'fall from grace" with you not knowing what actually happened, then you pretty much are going to have to assume its true for the sake of converting me and likely a lot of other deconverts, then I wish you good luck, because all I know is when I ask myself, "Well, am I being honest?" I'm gonna tell myself "Yes" and you will have accomplished nothing.
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
#2GBALoserPosted 2/24/2013 7:40:55 AM
I've said it before, a lot of Christians don't understand that just because they believe doesn't mean everyone else will always believe. It's a foreign concept to them, and so their initial reaction is there's something wrong with you. But that can be said of any deconvert from any religion. You don't agree with the rest of your original group, so there's obviously something wrong with you.

I agree, those who evangelize in any format must be able to show why their way is the best way. They way I've dealt with it is to tell people, "Tried it. Didn't work out for me." Their only response to me? "Well, you should try again." They're well meaning; it's just a response they don't ever expect anyone.
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#3Polish_CrusaderPosted 2/24/2013 8:17:11 AM(edited)
I don't have to convince anybody of anything. If you do not want to pursue the truth that is your problem not mine. I know what I believe. I know what i have seen. I am not searching anymore. I am not wondering and asking questions. I am growing my faith, and one of my goals here is to answer questions for people that want to do the same.

Jesus is Lord.
#4GBALoserPosted 2/24/2013 8:36:21 AM
I don't have to convince anybody of anything. If you do not want to pursue the truth that is your problem not mine.

See, I do pursue the truth. I just reach different conclusions from you. I believe the search for truth must span your entire life. You seem to be satisfied with your conclusion to what Truth is. That's fine by me.

Non-Christians just don't appreciate it when they're told "You're doing it wrong" from the very people who told them to do it that way.
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#5Wandering__HeroPosted 2/24/2013 8:55:29 AM
I believe Polish, Lms and Flash intentionally harras deconverting Christians to give us a bad name. I apologise for them on our behalf, but looking at their words and actions, I dont think their legit. Polish in particular had never heard a reading that pretty much ever Christian was taught from a young age.
---
Click the sites these contain to donate to charity for free http://www.thenonprofits.com/
#6Polish_CrusaderPosted 2/24/2013 8:59:03 AM
I never harass anybody. Apologize for yourself, you do not speak for me. If there is a question, i will choose to answer, or not. I never attack anybody on the boards.
#7Wandering__HeroPosted 2/24/2013 9:13:49 AM
Polish_Crusader posted...
I never harass anybody. Apologize for yourself, you do not speak for me. If there is a question, i will choose to answer, or not. I never attack anybody on the boards.

But as I have established in other threads, no matter what mask you wear you do not speak for Christians.
---
Click the sites these contain to donate to charity for free http://www.thenonprofits.com/
#8GBALoserPosted 2/24/2013 9:17:32 AM
Wandering__Hero posted...
I believe Polish, Lms and Flash intentionally harras deconverting Christians to give us a bad name. I apologise for them on our behalf, but looking at their words and actions, I dont think their legit. Polish in particular had never heard a reading that pretty much ever Christian was taught from a young age.

I'm actually gonna step to their defense, because I do believe they are saying what they truly believe. Are they necessarily the best representatives for Christianity? Let's just say I've run into far worse examples in real life.

But it isn't about whether I think they are good at expressing their faith. It's that they believe. As much flak we give LMS and FoL they at least appear to be genuine. Even if LMS is a Poe, he's putting an inordinate amount of energy into upkeeping his persona. As much as I suspect P_C from years on WoT, I at least believe him to be genuine in his faith.

I know there's always a lot of generalizing when it comes to matters of faith. But I don't use solitary examples as equaling the whole. I don't think they are trying to sabotage Christianity. I'm not necessarily going to invite them in for coffee to discuss religion, but I do think they mean well, at least how they understand their faith.
---
#9Polish_CrusaderPosted 2/24/2013 9:28:07 AM
LOL!

Ummm... i guess thanks for the kind words?

Anyway, yeah there is a reason i changed my name from long ago. I have changed from way back then in my glorious WoT days. I care less and less about pointless debates. You know a debate is pointless if there is not a stated goal. Like for example: "Christians dont show us atheists evidence, it is their burden, so therefore their words are all meaningless"- they never state what evidence they want, they never even make it clear that they actually want to find out about the real god. It just turns into name calling and wikipedia link battles (which are also mostly uselss) and it never gets anywhere. I refuse to respond to pointless topics that have no goal.

If you are an atheist and you are serious about learning about God and not just trying to argue for entertainment sake, then be REALLY specific, i cannot emphasize specificity enough. For example: "If i saw ______ or if you could answer me on _____, then i would be more interested in pursuing christianity" or "What does this passage of the bible mean?" or "Why is this in the bible?" or "How have the stories/prophecies of the bible become true?" Almost all, if not all of these example questions can be found on google, but this place is better for person to person discussion.

Again, asking or stating vague, open ended questions/points like- "Why do you believe what you believe" or "The bible has violence in it so its all wrong and false" are completely worthless and dont contribute to intelligent inquiry/conversation.

In fact, now that i think of it, this post is very biblical- the Lord asks us to seek and find, and knock and the door will be opened. God will not just come to you for no reason. The burden of searching and learning is on us as humans.

You have to be specific.
#10FlashOfLightPosted 2/24/2013 9:34:33 AM
Wandering__Hero posted...

You should be modded, you keep going around targeting us and just thinking you're getting away with it, you are trying to defame us, and you are trying to make our experience here negative by your flat-out delusions.

Apparently no one can be a christian unless they have your stamp of approval, you get to determine who and what a christian is, you get to determine who's accepted or not, and you go around thinking that no one else can speak or say a word about anything regarding Jesus Christ unless they have your permission.

You also show yourself that you can not even be corrected by the Scriptures, whose standard you insist you follow, but you are doing this same evil that is written in the Scriptures ->

3John 1:9-10

"I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loveth to have the preeminence among them, receiveth us not. Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither doth he himself receive the brethren, and forbiddeth them that would, and casteth them out of the church."

And according to the error of the Disciples, before they too were called out on their error, when they thought that one could not follow Christ unless they were part of the inner group.
---
Hi, do you have an unused or unwanted sig? Don't delay, we can help, write to Better Sig Now, P.O. Box 917, for an affordable, quality sig - Today!