This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

what i want from the next pope

#1ilsunshangxiangPosted 2/24/2013 6:13:47 PM
- admit that the bible is not literally true or it's the "word of god". instead, it's a collection of myths, legends and historical accounts of the land of Israel and its people.

- admit that while Jesus was a good rabbi and teacher, he is not the son of god and he did not rise from the dead and go to heaven.

- teach the historical setting of Jesus' life, especially about the different jewish sects (pharisees and saducees) and Jesus' group was one of those sects. teach that Christians are followers of Jesus' teachings because his sect was the best sect that teaches universal love. teach that the Catholic faith is not about believing that Jesus is the son of god and he can deliver us from sins. instead, the Catholic faith is about following the universal love that Jesus taught.

- renounce Paul's teachings about salvation coming from faith. instead, teach that being a good person is the most important thing in this life. it doesn't matter if you believe in god or if you believe that Jesus is the son of god. do this without disrespecting Paul because Paul was responsible for spreading the teachings of Jesus beyond the Jewish community.

- encourage Catholics to explore and learn the teachings of other religions to enhance their own catholic faith.

- allow gay marriage within the catholic church. teach that the anti-homosexuality verses in the bible don't apply in the modern world.

- allow women to be priests in the catholic church.
---
God created the universe and let it evolve.
There! Let's stop arguing and be friends.
#2OrangeWizardPosted 2/24/2013 6:20:05 PM
Like he cares what you want.
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive things.
#3hamsandwich3141Posted 2/24/2013 6:43:11 PM
So I take it you don't want a new pope?
---
She went after her kids with super love, they turned into drugs. - LastManStanding
#4Magyar15Posted 2/24/2013 7:01:24 PM
Um, what?
---
A good man would prefer to be defeated than to defeat injustice by evil means - Sallust
#5Moorish_IdolPosted 2/24/2013 7:04:29 PM
If those are your expectations, you are going to be the most disappointed person on Earth.
#6Hustle KongPosted 2/24/2013 7:10:41 PM
Can he also be a Methodist? I don't think I can remember a Methodist pope.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#7JonWood007Posted 2/24/2013 7:15:32 PM
1) As far as I know Catholics don't take the Bible literally, they still see it as inspired I think, but not literal.

2) Good luck on this one.

3) Eh....the catholic church does this...kinda in their educational facilities (religious schools and colleges). They still see him as the son of god though.

4) Catholics aren't the faith alone guys.

5) They do this at the college/grad school level. It's actually part of the reason I lost my faith. Yep. I said it, stuff I learned at a catholic university ended up harming my faith.

6) I'd like this too, it's unlikely though.

7) Ditto as 6.

Ultimately, I think you're confusing catholics with evangelical protestants to an extent. I'm no expert on the catholic faith, I never was a member of the catholic faith, but I've had exposure to catholicism throughout my life (went to a catholic school 6-8th grades, also got my masters degree from a catholic university), but they do look at other teachings, they do not take the Bible literally like protestants, and they're very service oriented compared to a lot of protestant sects. They already do half the things on your list.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#8LastManStandingPosted 2/24/2013 7:29:10 PM
What you asking is a heresy, stopped reading after point 2.
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#9TheRealJiraiyaPosted 2/24/2013 7:33:10 PM
ilsunshangxiang posted...
- admit that the bible is not literally true or it's the "word of god". instead, it's a collection of myths, legends and historical accounts of the land of Israel and its people.

- admit that while Jesus was a good rabbi and teacher, he is not the son of god and he did not rise from the dead and go to heaven.

Herpity derp I want the next Pope to be an atheist

- encourage Catholics to explore and learn the teachings of other religions to enhance their own catholic faith.

- allow gay marriage within the catholic church. teach that the anti-homosexuality verses in the bible don't apply in the modern world.

- allow women to be priests in the catholic church.

This is all your post should have contained. And, agreed, but I would add that Priests should be married
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#10SilviiroPosted 2/24/2013 7:41:28 PM
The next pope should be the first space pope. He should also be reptilian. That way I can use the rhetorical question "is the space pope reptilian?"
---
"I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind." -- Ecclesiastes 1:14