This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A simple answer to the "burden of proof" question

#1C_MatPosted 2/24/2013 11:23:52 PM
If you're an agnostic (one who does not posit a firm stance on the existence of God), you do not bear the burden of proof.

If you're a theist (one who believes that a God exists), the burden of proof is on you.

If you're an atheist (one who believes that no God exists), the burden of proof is also on you.

Sound fair?
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#2JonWood007Posted 2/24/2013 11:30:35 PM
Except most atheists are also agnostics.

Only gnostic atheists, ie, those who claim with certainty God cannot exist, have the burden of proof. Agnostic atheists basically don't know, and also don't believe. It's basically the null hypothesis.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#3OrangeWizardPosted 2/25/2013 12:06:21 AM
I wasn't aware there was ""burden of proof" question"
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive things.
#4Moorish_IdolPosted 2/25/2013 12:16:11 AM
This is going to end up in another "define atheism" debate, so I'll just try to quell the masses now:

Atheism = the lack of belief in a god

It doesn't posit the lack of god, but rather it is a lack of belief, so it doesn't have to prove anything because it's making no claims.

"Strong atheism," on the other hand, says that no god exists. They have a burden.
#5bratt100Posted 2/25/2013 12:49:24 AM
Saying the burden of proof is on athiests is really asking the impossible it would require becoming god to disprove god. You would need to be in all places and times past present and future...both in and outside of time and space at all times (is no time outside of space). Also you would need to be fully aware of everything.

Asking a non-believer to prove god does not exist is a very stupid question and shows they didn't really think it through. You would prove a god exists by becoming a god..it's absurd.

Saying the burden of proof is on the religious requires much, much less of the one making the claim. A proper observed and studied miracle would be enough to convince many more people that there is more to the world then the material.

Asking a person why they believe and then asking for evidence doesn't really sound so crazy to me as most religions do make some pretty unlikely claims about the nature of the universe.

Just my two cents though.
---
If you believe in the flying Spaghetti Monster and are 100% proud of it copy this to your sig.
#6OrangeWizardPosted 2/25/2013 12:55:12 AM
Saying the burden of proof is on athiests is really asking the impossible it would require becoming god to disprove god.

Then don't make any absolute claims about the existence of God.
---
#7bratt100Posted 2/25/2013 1:04:03 AM
OrangeWizard posted...
Saying the burden of proof is on athiests is really asking the impossible it would require becoming god to disprove god.

Then don't make any absolute claims about the existence of God.

I don't. I don't believe he exists but I can't deny the slight possibility.
---
If you believe in the flying Spaghetti Monster and are 100% proud of it copy this to your sig.
#8OrangeWizardPosted 2/25/2013 1:07:31 AM
And here comes the "atheist vs agnostic" debate
---
#9TheRealJiraiyaPosted 2/25/2013 1:19:39 AM
OrangeWizard posted...
And here comes the "atheist vs agnostic" debate

I like how this debate has gotten so irritating to all of us that we end up having more posts fearfully anticipating it than we do actually trying to spark the debate
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#10gamesrgreatPosted 2/25/2013 1:53:43 AM
I don't believe in a god because I see no reason to. The universe doesn't seem to necessarily point to one . It is very easy, I think, to see why one would think this way. I find it a little more difficult to see why people believe in gods.
---
D-Jesus, Christ Bosh, King James 3:16
The Miami Heat 2012 Champs- Miller Time