This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should Creationism be taught alongside Evolution in science class?

#11Moorish_IdolPosted 2/25/2013 10:18:38 AM
I'm surprised so many people voted to have it removed entirely. Religion is still a huge part of societies all over the world; there's no reason we shouldn't provide an elective religious studies course for interested students, and the various creation stories of the world's religions would obviously be expected there.
#12IamvegitoPosted 2/25/2013 11:49:36 AM
I'm surprised so many people voted to have it removed entirely. Religion is still a huge part of societies all over the world; there's no reason we shouldn't provide an elective religious studies course for interested students, and the various creation stories of the world's religions would obviously be expected there.

Public schools aren't for indoctrination. I suppose if you want to be a bad parent and send your kids off to a private school to be indoctrinated, you can, but...
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#13hamsandwich3141Posted 2/25/2013 12:24:24 PM
Iamvegito posted...

Public schools aren't for indoctrination. I suppose if you want to be a bad parent and send your kids off to a private school to be indoctrinated, you can, but...

Electives are hardly indoctrination.
---
She went after her kids with super love, they turned into drugs. - LastManStanding
#14gamesrgreatPosted 2/25/2013 1:23:28 PM
Religion is an important part of history. If the kids are still learning World History and U.S. History then they will learn about some religion and they can learn about Creationism, especially if the school teaches about the Scopes Trial
---
D-Jesus, Christ Bosh, King James 3:16
The Miami Heat 2012 Champs- Miller Time
#15Moorish_IdolPosted 2/25/2013 1:25:12 PM
Iamvegito posted...

Teaching the history of religion isn't indoctrination, nor are elective courses.
#16hunter_gohanPosted 2/25/2013 1:57:36 PM
Iamvegito posted...

I think you're misunderstanding the answer(or maybe I am?). "Religious Studies" isn't like a pastor coming in and saying "6000 years ago YHWH made everything fully formed and this is what actually happened." It's studying religions. Alongside Creationism you'd learn how in Asatru they said Odin and his brothers slew the giant Ymir and formed the Earth from his body. That would just be one religious creation story you're taught about as merely something that X religion believes/believed in. Not that it is in anyway the truth or what actually happened.
---
The food that stands on his [Odin's] table he gives to two wolves of his called Geri and Freki. He himself needs no food; wine is for him both drink and meat.
#17EastsideslingerPosted 2/25/2013 2:58:54 PM
As long as every other religion gets its fair shake I'm fine with a seperate religious studies that goes over it but, as was already expressed, it has absolutely no place in a science class.
---
"That's Mushy Snugglebites' badonkadonk. She's my main squeeze. Lady's got a gut fulla' dynamite and a booty like POOOW!" - Tiny Tina
#18IamvegitoPosted 2/25/2013 3:05:23 PM
Iamvegito posted...

I think you're misunderstanding the answer(or maybe I am?). "Religious Studies" isn't like a pastor coming in and saying "6000 years ago YHWH made everything fully formed and this is what actually happened." It's studying religions. Alongside Creationism you'd learn how in Asatru they said Odin and his brothers slew the giant Ymir and formed the Earth from his body. That would just be one religious creation story you're taught about as merely something that X religion believes/believed in. Not that it is in anyway the truth or what actually happened.

Well that's fine I suppose. Never seen religion taught in a high school or below, though.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#19UnfairRepresent(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2013 4:20:51 PM
Funny that this board is more anti-Creationism than CE
---
^ Hey now that's completely unfair.
http://i.imgur.com/45yVrRr.jpg
#20SSj4WingzeroPosted 2/25/2013 4:43:51 PM
It shouldn't be taught in science class.

If it were left out of a unit on religions (i.e. my world history class in high school discussed the five major religions, their basic beliefs, and where they originated), then that'd be wrong. Unlawful, probably, even.
---
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?