This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should Creationism be taught alongside Evolution in science class?

#21TheRealJiraiyaPosted 2/25/2013 5:47:32 PM
1 and 2 are the same. Equality for all is either letting everyone teach hypotheses as fact or to require everyone to reach theory level before they are put on theory level.

Forcing a hypothesis to be equal to a theory through politics instead of science is not equality.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#22JonWood007Posted 2/25/2013 6:39:11 PM
Polish_Crusader posted...
lol! What? Why would you keep creation out of a biblical studies program (like with the keep it out entirely option)? That does not make sense. THis is what im talking about when i say a lot of atheists say and do things on here that just simply does not make sense.

For once I agree with polish. How can you even teach religion without going into creationism?
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#23SpawnShadowPosted 2/25/2013 9:45:22 PM
JonWood007 posted...
lol! What? Why would you keep creation out of a biblical studies program (like with the keep it out entirely option)? That does not make sense. THis is what im talking about when i say a lot of atheists say and do things on here that just simply does not make sense.

For once I agree with polish. How can you even teach religion without going into creationism?

Teach about literally anything else in the mythology? Pretty sure you don't need to know about Adam and Eve to hear the story of Moses, or understanding the Titanomachy to understand the story of Persephone and Hades.
---
"Mjolnir: apply directly to the forehead."
Wanna know how to keep an idiot busy for hours on end? See quote for details!
#24GBALoserPosted 2/25/2013 9:48:42 PM
SpawnShadow posted...
JonWood007 posted...

Teach about literally anything else in the mythology? Pretty sure you don't need to know about Adam and Eve to hear the story of Moses, or understanding the Titanomachy to understand the story of Persephone and Hades.

True, but creationism would be more appropriately studied in religious course rather than science course. That they ever get to the discussion is another issue.
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#25Moorish_IdolPosted 2/25/2013 10:05:01 PM
SpawnShadow posted...
JonWood007 posted...

I don't understand this logic. Why exactly should Creationism be the sole exception in a religious studies course? Why would teaching about Moses be any more or less relevant than teaching the creation story?

It wouldn't seem like much of a religious studies course if they ignore what the religion says about the origin of man, much less the origin of the universe.
#26lastheroPosted 2/25/2013 10:06:56 PM
JonWood007 posted...

I look at creationism as more than just teaching people that the first chapter of the Bible is historically and scientifically accurate - it's replacing existing science with a whole new brand of science. Creationists don't just stop at saying the Bible's should be taken literally, they list scientifically inaccurate reasons why it should be. That has no place in any classroom.
---
X-Men: First Class RPG - Welcoming all new players!
[http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Mutants/index/]
#27Moorish_IdolPosted 2/25/2013 10:15:24 PM
I think the problem we're having is people aren't making a distinction between creationism and "creation science / intelligent design". Creationism, as far as I'm aware, is just the idea that God or gods are behind the existence of Earth and humans. The latter is the movement that insists on pseudoscience.
#28Sir WillPosted 2/25/2013 11:32:34 PM
Obviously not, it's not science.
---
River Song: Well, I was off to this gay gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled when I thought 'Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish, I think i'll kill the Fuhrer'
#29UnfairRepresent(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 4:03:47 AM
GBALoser posted...
SpawnShadow posted...
JonWood007 posted...

True, but creationism would be more appropriately studied in religious course rather than science course. That they ever get to the discussion is another issue.

How?
---
^ Hey now that's completely unfair.
http://i.imgur.com/45yVrRr.jpg
#30the_hedonistPosted 2/26/2013 7:01:20 AM
SpawnShadow posted...
JonWood007 posted...

Moses makes no sense without the creation & fall. King David makes no sense without creation and fall. The exile makes no sense without creation & fall. Jesus makes no sense without creation & fall. The missionary journeys of Paul makes no sense without creation & fall. Revelation makes no sense without creation & fall.

Perhaps the literalistic understanding of Genesis is not central to Christianity (although creationists would disagree), but you cannot understand the Christian understanding of the meaning of any story in the Bible unless you understand that God is the creator of all, and unless you understand the fall.

Commonly, the grand narrative of the Bible is broken into four acts: creation, fall, redemption, and consummation. Creation & fall are key to understanding the other acts, and without teaching the creation/fall story in Genesis (whether it's to be taken as just a story or as historical teaching), you will simply not understand the Christian view of the rest of the Bible.
---
"Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart - His wounds have paid my ransom."