This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should Creationism be taught alongside Evolution in science class?

#61sith_acolyte15Posted 2/28/2013 2:02:08 PM
Creationism has absolutely no place in any non-theological class.
Science class is a non-theological class.
Therefore, Creationism has no place in science class.
---
This is the Internet; you can't use popularity to prove something is good unless it's something I actually like.
#62UnfairRepresent(Topic Creator)Posted 2/28/2013 7:22:53 PM
Faust_8 posted...
UnfairRepresent posted...
No one looked it up

Because:

1) We know what that means.

I don't believe you
---
^ Hey now that's completely unfair.
http://i.imgur.com/45yVrRr.jpg
#63bratt100Posted 2/28/2013 7:48:46 PM
SSj4Wingzero posted...
I'm not against teaching "about" creationism. Students should learn about the world around them and what other people believe. Similarly, I'm not against teaching about the major world religions out there, because the role of religion in mathematics, science, history, politics, and just about every single discipline out there cannot be understated.

More importantly that connection has since dissolved into a nasty divorce where religion must stay 100 feet from science and politics at all times.
---
If you believe in the flying Spaghetti Monster and are 100% proud of it copy this to your sig.
#64SSj4WingzeroPosted 2/28/2013 7:56:24 PM
The ignorance in that statement is appalling, considering the Director of the National Institute of Health is a committed Christian who happened to help map the human genome, and all.
---
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?
#65bratt100Posted 2/28/2013 8:18:22 PM
Well the USA is kinda moving towards a theocracy so I don't think they really count as they seem to want more religion in politics and schooling. Where others are moving in the opposite direction.

Also the percent of atheist's in scientific disciplines is substantial, It's around %70 and when you compare it to the national average of %10 it tells a neat little story. I'm not ignoring the contribution that religion has made to science but I feel it's moved towards secular groups instead of religious ones.

Also you can be in a field and still hold onto your beliefs this is why you find more religious people in chemistry then you do geology. One conflicts with many long standing beliefs and many people ignore it.
---
If you believe in the flying Spaghetti Monster and are 100% proud of it copy this to your sig.
#66Faust_8Posted 2/28/2013 9:07:43 PM
Faust_8 posted...
No one looked it up

Because:

1) We know what that means.

I don't believe you

That's nice.
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while
#67SSj4WingzeroPosted 3/3/2013 3:30:11 AM
bratt100 posted...
Well the USA is kinda moving towards a theocracy so I don't think they really count as they seem to want more religion in politics and schooling. Where others are moving in the opposite direction.

Also the percent of atheist's in scientific disciplines is substantial, It's around %70 and when you compare it to the national average of %10 it tells a neat little story. I'm not ignoring the contribution that religion has made to science but I feel it's moved towards secular groups instead of religious ones.

Also you can be in a field and still hold onto your beliefs this is why you find more religious people in chemistry then you do geology. One conflicts with many long standing beliefs and many people ignore it.

1. The USA is not moving towards a theocracy. No sane person thinks that.

2. None of that is really relevant to the original point that I was making, which is that learning about various religions is important because of the way religion has shaped people's world views and influenced them to do a great many things, whatever those things may be.

An education in which someone didn't learn about religion would be absolutely pointless. Some of the earliest settlers of the USA came here for religious freedom, and religious belief has influenced people to do all sorts of things, so learning about it is absolutely essential when it comes to learning about the world. Of course, no religion should be taught as fact to any student in school, but we also can't do a complete-180 and refuse to even mention the word "God" in school when he's something that most of the world believes in and has been used as motivation for a great many people to do a variety of very important things.
---
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?