This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do protestants ever pray the rosary?

#41the_hedonistPosted 2/27/2013 7:36:19 PM
Chaos, there are a lot of factors influencing my friend right now. But surely you can understand the desire for a couple to be a part of the same local church, let alone the same ecclesiastical orgnization? It is perhaps even more pronounced because of his desire to enter ministry. But, no, you do not know this individual. I would not be at all surprised for them to become EO, but they just transitioned from nondenom charismatic Christianity to being Anglican, which tajes some adjustment. Even if my friend is ready to make another change, his wife is still getting used to the first.

Also, thx for the info. It's a helpful distinction.
---
"Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart - His wounds have paid my ransom."
#42Chaos ScadePosted 2/28/2013 7:46:59 AM
the_hedonist posted...
Chaos, there are a lot of factors influencing my friend right now. But surely you can understand the desire for a couple to be a part of the same local church, let alone the same ecclesiastical orgnization? It is perhaps even more pronounced because of his desire to enter ministry.

I can understand it, and even though I can sympathise, it wouldn't be the priority for me. If I believed that the Orthodox Church was the sole claimant to genuine Christian faith and worship, which I do, I would at least begin tangible steps towards conversion (if not out and out becoming a catechumen and getting baptized) with the hope that my wife would eventually join me.
---
Taste the fountain of immortality.
http://i43.tinypic.com/iqehc6.jpg
#43the_hedonistPosted 2/28/2013 3:16:14 PM
Chaos Scade posted...
the_hedonist posted...
Chaos, there are a lot of factors influencing my friend right now. But surely you can understand the desire for a couple to be a part of the same local church, let alone the same ecclesiastical orgnization? It is perhaps even more pronounced because of his desire to enter ministry.

I can understand it, and even though I can sympathise, it wouldn't be the priority for me. If I believed that the Orthodox Church was the sole claimant to genuine Christian faith and worship, which I do, I would at least begin tangible steps towards conversion (if not out and out becoming a catechumen and getting baptized) with the hope that my wife would eventually join me.

See, I don't know if he believes the EOC is the "sole claimant to genuine Christian faith and worship." Now, there is definitely a spectrum of beliefs concerning this issue, but sometimes I have difficulty understanding what precisely all the different language used means. It seems to me that he thinks that the EOC has the best claim to apostolic authority, but that there is also legitimate forms of Christian faith and worship to be found outside the EOC. But his beliefs have been changing around a lot in the past couple of years, so I cannot say for sure.

As for myself, I am in a little bit of a pickle. I do not think a congregationalist/non-denominational ecclesiology is the right one. I hope for one true united church and do not think denominationalism (or non-denominationalism!) is the right model. And congregationalist models are not conducive to re-union. That being said, I am a credobaptist, and the only credobaptist churches I know of are congregationalist. But other than my credobaptist idiosyncracy, I certainly have leanings toward Anglicanism or some other more liturgical-minded denomination.
---
"Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart - His wounds have paid my ransom."