This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

C/D some people are religiously Atheistic

#1TheRealJiraiyaPosted 2/26/2013 9:52:37 AM
and its super annoying.

C.

When atheists are accusing other atheists of not being real atheists because they dont agree with them on issues other than the existence of a deity, for example.

When atheists praise their fellow atheists as "free-thinkers" and reverently and worshipfully hold up science as something that has disproven God (these people do exist)

Really when atheists do anything that portrays them as a unified group with unified beliefs, especially when they talk about it as some sort of enlightenment, its pretty bizarre to me.

Atheism is a lack of belief in gods.

Thats. It.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#2Hustle KongPosted 2/26/2013 10:00:37 AM
I'd say "fanatically" or "rabidly" rather than "religiously". Makes it too easily confused with us actual religious atheists. ;p
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#3DarkContractorPosted 2/26/2013 10:26:03 AM
i think in some cases, and im not just trying to play devils advocate, some of these guys are 'pushed' by the religious extreme and its kinda a "backed in a corner so lash out" type motivation. I mean, a lot of 'angstheists', in my personal, could be wrong, experience, it seems that these extreme atheists grew up in a religious household. generally de-converting is an extremely tedious process, having to explain 'why' over and over while getting slapped with constant phone calls, texts, etc. being told they need to repent now. It seems sincere from the Christian perspective from but just annoying and harassment from the atheist's. add that on top of due to their upbringing they're still used to being religious and voila, you have a religious atheist. I could be dead wrong, thats just speculation.

that said, the new atheism movement employs the same type of 'community' and 'validation' psychological tricks that many Churches have used for a longass time, so there's a more relatable explanation.
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. PSN: MrPillow92 Steam: MrPillowtheGreat
#4SSj4WingzeroPosted 2/26/2013 10:27:45 AM
I prefer to call them evangelical. When your goal is to convert people to your own belief system, evangelical is an entirely appropriate term. It doesn't help that the bigoted/prejudicial nature of their political positions lines them up perfectly with the so-called "evangelical Christian right" of modern America either.
---
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?
#5TheRealJiraiya(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 10:28:27 AM
DarkContractor posted...
i think in some cases, and im not just trying to play devils advocate, some of these guys are 'pushed' by the religious extreme and its kinda a "backed in a corner so lash out" type motivation. I mean, a lot of 'angstheists', in my personal, could be wrong, experience, it seems that these extreme atheists grew up in a religious household. generally de-converting is an extremely tedious process, having to explain 'why' over and over while getting slapped with constant phone calls, texts, etc. being told they need to repent now. It seems sincere from the Christian perspective from but just annoying and harassment from the atheist's. add that on top of due to their upbringing they're still used to being religious and voila, you have a religious atheist. I could be dead wrong, thats just speculation.

that said, the new atheism movement employs the same type of 'community' and 'validation' psychological tricks that many Churches have used for a longass time, so there's a more relatable explanation.

I couldnt agree more, but those things dont make their behavior right or justified. It just makes it explained.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
#6DarkContractorPosted 2/26/2013 10:31:39 AM
TheRealJiraiya posted...
DarkContractor posted...

I couldnt agree more, but those things dont make their behavior right or justified. It just makes it explained.

agreed, *points at sig*

as far as advice about it goes, im not sure whatt to say. this board is usually pretty tame. we have a small and equal amount of 'fundie' theists and atheists, imo.
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. PSN: MrPillow92 Steam: MrPillowtheGreat
#7SSj4WingzeroPosted 2/26/2013 10:41:43 AM
In addition to being wrong and unjustified, it also ends up having the opposite effect. If you lash out at someone, you're more likely to provoke more of the same, rather than change someone's minds. It's what the "New" atheists and hyper-evangelicals don't understand.
---
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?
#8JonWood007Posted 2/26/2013 10:42:25 AM
DarkContractor posted...

I'll agree with this. I guess some atheists do get a bit hyped over science, but hey, as far as I'm concerned, if you have a better idea of knowing things, I'm all ears.

I'll also agree that certain crowds of atheists get reactionary at times, mainly as a result of rebelling against their past beliefs. The reason some atheists sound so dogmatic and unintelligent is because they're trying to counter actual dogmatic and unintelligent things people actually say and believe. That's what r/atheism does anyway.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#9TheRealJiraiya(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 10:46:06 AM
JonWood007 posted...
DarkContractor posted...

I'll agree with this. I guess some atheists do get a bit hyped over science, but hey, as far as I'm concerned, if you have a better idea of knowing things, I'm all ears.

I'll also agree that certain crowds of atheists get reactionary at times, mainly as a result of rebelling against their past beliefs. The reason some atheists sound so dogmatic and unintelligent is because they're trying to counter actual dogmatic and unintelligent things people actually say and believe. That's what r/atheism does anyway.

So you dont think these atheists are actually dogmatic and unintelligent, despite acting that way, but you think the Christians who behave the same way are?

There wouldnt be any bias in that assessment, would there?
---
#10DarkContractorPosted 2/26/2013 10:50:23 AM
TheRealJiraiya posted...
JonWood007 posted...
DarkContractor posted...

So you dont think these atheists are actually dogmatic and unintelligent, despite acting that way, but you think the Christians who behave the same way are?

There wouldnt be any bias in that assessment, would there?

he didn't say that these specific atheists weren't what they sound like
---