This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Catholic Church is a racist institution...

#1SarahFailinPosted 2/26/2013 10:45:28 AM
Why is that Italy in particular, and Europe and the developed world in general are overrepresented when it comes to the College of Cardinals?

Is there a conspiracy by racist Whites to prevent Asia, Latin America, and Africa from being fairly represented in the College of Cardinals and able to have a fair voice in the selection of the Pope?
#2dnLpkPosted 2/26/2013 11:03:02 AM
It's because the churches in the developing nations are still structuring their church organization, meaning there's less need for leadership within those regions, which leads to lesser cardinals.

OKAY?
---
billions of bilious blue blistering barnacles!
#3Moorish_IdolPosted 2/26/2013 11:05:24 AM
dnLpk posted...
OKAY?

Woah, settle down!

This made me laugh for some reason.
#4dnLpkPosted 2/26/2013 11:08:21 AM
NO IM ANGSTY

:D
---
billions of bilious blue blistering barnacles!
#5Polish_CrusaderPosted 2/26/2013 3:28:03 PM
with a name like sarahfailin... you know its a fail post everytime. Fail makes failure.
#6Burning_WolfXPosted 2/26/2013 4:03:48 PM(edited)
SarahFailin posted...
Why is that Italy in particular, and Europe and the developed world in general are overrepresented when it comes to the College of Cardinals?

It's because, up until the era of colonization, the entirety of the Roman Church was based in Western Europe. Also, back in those days, most everyone was Catholic, so there were many dioceses set up in order to effectively lead the faithful there. More dioceses means more bishops, and that means that the bigger Western European cities all had their bishops promoted to the ranks of archbishop and cardinal, correspondingly.

Is there a conspiracy by racist Whites to prevent Asia, Latin America, and Africa from being fairly represented in the College of Cardinals and able to have a fair voice in the selection of the Pope?

Not at all. Since Catholicism was only effectively introduced into Asia and Africa on a widespread scale during the 1800's or so, those parts of the world haven't had enough time to develop a large amount of dioceses, and therefore have been slow to develop archdioceses with archbishops and cardinals at their heads, unlike Western Europe which has had all of this well-established for nearly a thousand years.

That, and South America ain't the most Catholic of continents (in fact, it's fading fast in the really big cities where there's a lot of corruption, and also starving to death in the rural areas where priests are rarely able to travel).

EDIT: All this being said, it's important to note that Africa is the largest source of priests in the Catholic Church these days, and one of the places where Catholicism is actually growing rather than shrinking. So I believe it's quite likely that we will see the first African Pope in 1500 years (there have been 4 or 5 before).
---
Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, suffering, and injustice when He could do something about it. But Im afraid He'd ask me the same thing.