This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will you check out The Bible on the History Channel this Sunday?

#51zachflash(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2013 1:25:28 AM
Oh yeah, but is it just me or does the Devil look like President Obama, lol?
---
Philippians 4:13- "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
#52FlashOfLightPosted 3/18/2013 6:21:52 AM
zachflash posted...
Oh yeah, but is it just me or does the Devil look like President Obama, lol?

Well, President Obama is essentially a mixed Kenyan, and the actor they hired to play the Devil, though he had some make-up work done, is perhaps either Middle Eastern or from an African region himself, though he may not look anything at all like that without make-up.

But apparently a lot of people are noticing this, there is even a dailymail article up right now, essentially with the same title.

He may look less and less like him as time goes on.
---
This is a TEST of the Internet Broadcasting Network, soon to be revealed in front of the whole world- Every game has an end - Operation Old King Cole
#53SGamePosted 3/18/2013 11:47:54 AM
I'm not feeling how much they are leaving out or changing. I didn't really pay attention to the first hour but the astrologer thing wasn't quite like that. They decided to show the execution of John the Baptist but they didn't show the reason why. It's weird how they made the devil look like Palpatine from Star Wars.

I have a strong feeling they are going to show the Sermon on the mountain with Jesus but they are going to leave out what he mostly taught about which is Gods Kingdom. I could be wrong but it seems like they leave out important facts.
---
"Always a pleasure to meet a Jedi"- Jango Fett
#54mercurydudePosted 3/18/2013 1:29:59 PM
FlashOfLight posted...
Oh, another comment on a commercial they featured during the show: for A&E's series "The Bates Motel", there was an obvious and blatant suggestion for incest there, the way it was depicted, and shown as sexy and glamorous. Now, that series is supposed to be about a psycho, literally, but this depiction has not escaped me, and the Hollywoodnistas are probably going to try and incorporate this more into their films and shows, to eventually convince the new generation that incest is hip and trendy and an expression of love.

Thanks for the laugh. This is, no doubt, a post meant to portray a slippery slope of the world going to hell due to the advances in the gay rights movement.

Yes, the show is about the depiction of a PSYCHO, which is where the incest part comes in. In the movie and the novel, Norman Bates has an extreme obsession and a romantic interest in his own mother, and even keeps her corpse in his basement years after her death. He also dresses up as her and has imagined conversations with her so he can pretend she's still around. And furthermore, that character was based upon Ed Gein, an actual murderer and corpse defiler who had a similar obsession and incestuous longings for his abusive mother.

So no, it is not GLAMORIZING incest, it's merely showing how twisted these two individuals (Norman and his mother) are. That's an element of the story that's been there since the franchise first got started with Robert Bloch and Hitchcock in the 60's. Guess you better get a Ouija board and let those guys know about how they're dragging society down.
---
"I am going to light a fire in Paradise and pour water on Hell, so that both veils completely vanish." - Rabia Al-'Adawiyya
#55FlashOfLightPosted 3/19/2013 5:53:32 AM
mercurydude posted...

So no, it is not GLAMORIZING incest, it's merely showing how twisted these two individuals (Norman and his mother) are. That's an element of the story that's been there since the franchise first got started with Robert Bloch and Hitchcock in the 60's.

We'll see, if Hollywood doesn't have something similar coming out in the next year or so, I'll consider it a non-issue, but I know their methods, I haven't been wrong on the matter.
---
This is a TEST of the Internet Broadcasting Network, soon to be revealed in front of the whole world- Every game has an end - Operation Old King Cole
#56zachflash(Topic Creator)Posted 3/24/2013 7:16:20 PM
Part 4 was just shown which showed the ministry of Jesus Christ, and then his entrance into Jerusalem and then finishing with his arrest. I found it interesting how Nicodemus was predominately used to represent the dissent in the pharisees and that Pilate is portrayed as more ruthless which he indeed was (perhaps the producers keeping in mind the controversy around Passion of the Christ).

The John 3:16 scene that was filmed has an interesting backstory. If you noticed, the wind had picked up as soon as Jesus mentioned the Holy Spirit which then immediately followed with the analogy of the "wind". The producers said that the wind had been calm all day until that moment. Kind of cool.

Also, I liked how they included Mary Magdalene as part of the disciples to show that women played an important part in the beginnings of Christianity.

Today was Palm Sunday and we saw Palm Sunday, next week will be Easter and we'll see Easter. Looking forward to an epic conclusion :)
---
#57SlaynWilderGL3Posted 3/24/2013 10:04:26 PM
The Devil looks like Obama.

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/thefw.com/files/2013/03/Obama-Alex-Wong-Getty-Images.jpg
---
Star Wars fans please like The Imperial Fleet facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Imperial-Fleet/462605397130503
#58zachflash(Topic Creator)Posted 3/31/2013 7:13:11 PM
It was truly an epic experience. I got very teary eyed during the crucifixion scenes and then Jesus Christ revealing himself resurrected to doubting Thomas was very powerful. Definitely the best episode of the Bible miniseries. Hearing 1st Corinthinans 13 and then the last words of the Bible in Revelation nicely tied everything up together.

Overall, many will point to omissions, errors, and such things but I feel that such obession would wrongly distract from the overall accomplishment of what Burnett did here in only ten hours and a low budget. Millions of people gained interest in the Bible and if it can cause that many people to open the Bible then I think it was a job well done. The message of salvation through Jesus Christ who died for our sins and then conquered death to bring us everlasting life is an inspirational message that we are called to accept and spread. And it is a message that is free for all of us.
---
#59PhoroPosted 4/1/2013 2:25:56 AM
I don't have cable TV, but Netflix is releasing the Bible DVD set on Tuesday. I'm looking forward to it, purely for the entertainment it was intended for.

Also, do they not have Modern Marvels on History anymore? Nobody here mentioned it, and that show was always my favorite, and pretty educational I thought.
---
You're killin' me, Smalls.
#60FlashOfLightPosted 4/1/2013 4:55:16 AM
This last episode had one of the best takes I have ever seen of the reenactment of the Messiah's last words on the cross, with how they incorporated the sayings into a nice flowing stream one after the other without a disconnected gap between them, I thought that was very well done.

I couldn't help feeling that particularly the last 10 minutes of the show seemed rushed, it felt like that transition from the end of the Gospels to Acts and on to Revelation needed at least one more hour to do it justice.

One commercial featured, once again, was a subtle insert to mock christianity, it was very carefully edited and one hardly got the sense of what it was about, but I think it was related to the Burien Little Theater's take on Jesus Christ Superstar with an all female cast, including Jesus Christ as a female.

Here is a poster for that ->

http://b-townblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/JesusChristPoster13.jpg

In the commercial, they didn't quite show the face of the actress, just mostly the top of her head, but it was obviously a woman meant to be Jesus Christ.

The commercial happened really fast, so it was hard to get much info out of it, even to be sure that that's what it was, but one can surmise that that was what it was about due to the already existing Burien Little Theater show, either that or a book dealing with the same concept.

So, never a blasphemy-free night on any of these channels.
---
"Listen, children, to a story that was written long ago, 'bout a kingdom on a mountain and the valley-folk below."