This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Tower of Babel

#1PiNoKePosted 3/1/2013 11:15:02 AM
What was God's purpose here? Specifically Gen 11:6

And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.

Was it to scatter the people around the world with different languages, because we were getting too smart? Or working together as a whole?
---
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/discord-1187/
#2ThuggernautzPosted 3/1/2013 11:30:27 AM
God was punishing them for having faith and pride in themselves and their achievements instead of God. He's a jealous God, you see.
#3electricgodPosted 3/1/2013 12:01:28 PM
Most likely a plagiarized Sumerian/Babylonian legend.
#4FingerpuppetPosted 3/1/2013 12:40:42 PM
God doesn't like it when you're successful for your own gain. I recommend that you burn your house and slaughter your family before he sends you to hell.
---
I recently came back to this site. I don't have an interesting sig, so please say something interesting that I can put here.
#5LastManStandingPosted 3/1/2013 12:47:35 PM
PiNoKe posted...
What was God's purpose here? Specifically Gen 11:6

And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.

Was it to scatter the people around the world with different languages, because we were getting too smart? Or working together as a whole?

It promoted diversity people traveled out and went to different places. Imagine one language and a huge group of people. The resources would suffer, etc... Brilliant God's plan
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#6KNessJMPosted 3/2/2013 10:35:12 AM
Every time this topic comes up, I like to point out this brilliant Bad Religion song about the story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37Jlj0_FsZU

I love the line "I know why you tore it down that day; you thought that if you got caught, we'd all go away. Like a spoiled little baby who can't come out and play, you had your revenge."
---
Quote of the Week: "There is an inner logic and we're taught to stay far from it. It's simple and elegant but it's cruel and antithetic."
#7TheRealJiraiyaPosted 3/2/2013 10:43:58 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8Flaming_Fire619Posted 3/2/2013 10:47:06 AM
I always read it as the idea that as one language, and forming a Tower like that, that the people were becoming haughty. That their combined powers would make them arrogant and find themselves higher than God.
---
Not changing until Shelton Benjamin wins the WHC Started: Jan. 10. 2009
http://myanimelist.net/profile/fantheflames
#9darklaoPosted 3/2/2013 11:07:04 AM
Just think of some old wise guy saying, "Oh yeah well if God and Adam spoke the same language, why do we all speak different languages now?" Then the priest/conman said, "Yes, let me tell you a story that will like totally explain that."
---
[agitprop]
come and play come and play forget about the movement
#10hunter_gohanPosted 3/3/2013 1:19:30 AM
"I remember the Tower of Babel - all 37 feet of it, which I suppose was impressive at the time. And when it fell they howled, "Divine Wrath!" But come on, dried dung can only be stacked so high." - Castiel, Supernatural
---
The food that stands on his [Odin's] table he gives to two wolves of his called Geri and Freki. He himself needs no food; wine is for him both drink and meat.