This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Tower of Babel

#21FlashOfLightPosted 3/3/2013 1:04:37 PM
lasthero posted...
Assuming this is true - and I have a sneaking suspicion it's not, or at least a gross oversimplification - that the Nazis wanted a one-world language has nothing to do with anything else they built or did. It wasn't a cause of it, and it wasn't necessarily a result of it. So I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

This is from Wiki's article on "The book-burning campaign"

"On April 6th, 1933, the Main Office for Press and Propaganda of the German Student Association proclaimed a nationwide "Action against the Un-German Spirit", which was to climax in a literary purge or "cleansing" ("Sauberung") by fire.

Local chapters were to supply the press with releases and commissioned articles, sponsor well-known Nazi figures to speak at public gatherings, and negotiate for radio broadcast time.

On the 8th of April, the Students Association also drafted the Twelve Theses which deliberately evoked Martin Luther and the historic burning of "Un-German" books at the Wartburg festival on the 300th anniversary of the posting of Luther's Ninety-Five Theses.

The theses called for a "pure" national language and culture. Placards publicized the theses, which attacked "Jewish intellectualism", asserted the need to "purify" German language and literature, and demanded that universities be centres of German nationalism."

When the Bible mentions that the people wanted to 'make themselves a name', this included the isolation and removal of anyone who thought contrary to that cause, just as a State policy can work towards only one aim, they too intended to disallow the worship of any other god, or the search for any other truth, so with it would come the slaughter of anyone who thought contrary to the project of Babel at hand.

The Nazi's progressed so much in so little time, not because of one language being pushed, but rather the idealogy behind it, that any other language, which had an association with another culture, and a separate history - was a threat to their own language, culture, and history. The point is that the preservation of the Ethnic and German ideal, was what moved the Germans to their immediate urgency to in as little a time as possible set out to do everything to quickly ensure that their own race and language not be extinguished, it was the prime mover they adhered to, to preserve the culture.

Again, here is the urgency being cited in the Bible ->

"And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth."

That saying "Go to" means immediate urgency. It means to do something in a hurry, speedily, without delay.

It is the same urgency explained elsewhere in the Bible, as with the case of Naaman the Syrian, when he wanted to quickly be healed of his leprosy -

"And one went in, and told his lord, saying, Thus and thus said the maid that is of the land of Israel.

And the king of Syria said, Go to, go, and I will send a letter unto the king of Israel. And he departed, and took with him ten talents of silver, and six thousand pieces of gold, and ten changes of raiment."
---
Never marry a woman before you hear her scream.
#22hunter_gohanPosted 3/3/2013 1:15:19 PM
GBALoser posted...
Remind me again WHY I haven't begun watching Supernatural yet?

Not a clue. It's awesome, and Netflix has S01-07 streaming.
---
The food that stands on his [Odin's] table he gives to two wolves of his called Geri and Freki. He himself needs no food; wine is for him both drink and meat.
#23FlashOfLightPosted 3/3/2013 1:26:00 PM
JonWood007 posted...

Wow, I cant believe you just went there. Just...wow.

Ok. Originally, according to the Bible (it's blatantly obvious this story isn't true), there was one race with one language. God split them all up because they built a tower.

The nazis, they wanted one language and one race, yes, but their solution was to kill everyone else.

I don't see how you can equate there originally being one race working together with the holocaust.

This is why you have to know about the rest of what the Bible says about the people in that time, this is in THE SAME chapter where the Tower of Babel is covered, read carefully ->

"Now these are the generations of Terah: Terah begat Abram, Nahor, and Haran; and Haran begat Lot. And Haran died before his father Terah in the land of his nativity, in Ur of the Chaldees."

Then it continues...

"And Terah took Abram his son, and Lot the son of Haran his son's son, and Sarai his daughter in law, his son Abram's wife; and they went forth with them from Ur of the Chaldees, to go into the land of Canaan; and they came unto Haran, and dwelt there."

And at the beginning of the next chapter, 12, we read -

"Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:"

What was one of the reasons God told him to get out of there?

2Esdras 3:12-13

"And it happened, that when they that dwelt upon the earth began to multiply, and had gotten them many children, and were a great people, they began again to be more ungodly than the first. Now when they lived so wickedly before thee, thou didst choose thee a man from among them, whose name was Abraham."

Judith 5:6-9

"This people are descended of the Chaldeans: And they sojourned heretofore in Mesopotamia, because they would not follow the gods of their fathers, which were in the land of Chaldea.

For they left the way of their ancestors, and worshipped the God of heaven, the God whom they knew: so they cast them out from the face of their gods, and they fled into Mesopotamia, and sojourned there many days.

Then their God commanded them to depart from the place where they sojourned, and to go into the land of Chanaan: where they dwelt, and were increased with gold and silver, and with very much cattle."

...and all because some dudes decided to build a tower.

So as you just read, NO, it was not just because some dudes built a tower.
---
#24JonWood007Posted 3/3/2013 2:03:41 PM(edited)
I don't know why you're quoting the Bible at me and randomly bolding text , but the Bible is a diverse book of literature written by different people in different times and what one group says and means is not what everything means. So many misinterpretations come by people quoting text that has nothing to do with the other text people are talking about. The Bible is also awfully vague as to what the ungodliness is, not to mention he seems overly sensitive for a dude who later tells us to turn the other cheek.
---
Desktop: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GNoz
Laptop: http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/model/LX.WY202.001
#25darkmaian23Posted 3/3/2013 2:14:01 PM
JonWood007 posted...
I don't know why you're quoting the Bible at me and randomly bolding text , but the Bible is a diverse book of literature written by different people in different times and what one group says and means is not what everything means. So many misinterpretations come by people quoting text that has nothing to do with the other text people are talking about. The Bible is also awfully vague as to what the ungodliness is, not to mention he seems overly sensitive for a dude who later tells us to turn the other cheek.

This is the most amazing thing I've seen posted here in ages.
#26FlashOfLightPosted 3/3/2013 2:29:05 PM
JonWood007 posted...

Fot the sixtieth time in a row, whenever I bold ANYTHING it is dealing with the subject matter at hand, read THOSE parts particularly to read where the questions at hand or issues are being addressed in or covered at.

The parts I highlighted for you, were so that you saw where, particularly, the Bible mentions the reasons for what happened at the Tower of Babel -

1) They were ungodly
2) They kicked Abraham's family out of the land for not believing their gods
3) God wanted to separate Abraham's family from Ur of the Chaldee's where they were, because their lives were in danger
4) God sends them to Canaan to be away from them

The Bible is by no means awfully vague on what ungodliness is, it is covered in extensive detail and mentioned in nearly every book.
---
#27FlashOfLightPosted 3/3/2013 2:39:25 PM
Jon, for your benefit, if you remove the unhighlighted parts from my post, for example, this is what you'll get - key points addressing the main subject being discussed.

these are the generations (The generations existing at the time of the tower of Babel.)

in the land of his nativity, in Ur of the Chaldees.

And Terah took (Terah is Abraham's father.)

and they went forth with them from Ur of the Chaldees, to go into the land of Canaan; and they came unto Haran, and dwelt there.

Get thee out of thy country,

unto a land that I will shew thee:

What was one of the reasons God told him to get out of there?

they began again to be more ungodly than the first.

from among them, (This part specifically is to confirm that Abraham's family was living in Babel, which is in Ur of the Chaldees.)

because they would not follow the gods of their fathers, which were in the land of Chaldea.

For they left the way of their ancestors, (Their ancestors were the ones living at Babel.)

so they cast them out from the face of their gods, and they fled into Mesopotamia,

Then their God commanded them to depart from the place where they sojourned, and to go into the land of Chanaan:
---
#28LastManStandingPosted 3/3/2013 3:35:17 PM
What is the big deal for God who is Almighty, to have people gather in let's say a certain part of the world after the Tower of Babel and look a certain way?
You are limiting God by your human limitations.
God is God.
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#29JonWood007Posted 3/3/2013 11:47:57 PM
FlashOfLight posted...
JonWood007 posted...

Fot the sixtieth time in a row, whenever I bold ANYTHING it is dealing with the subject matter at hand, read THOSE parts particularly to read where the questions at hand or issues are being addressed in or covered at.

The parts I highlighted for you, were so that you saw where, particularly, the Bible mentions the reasons for what happened at the Tower of Babel -

1) They were ungodly
2) They kicked Abraham's family out of the land for not believing their gods
3) God wanted to separate Abraham's family from Ur of the Chaldee's where they were, because their lives were in danger
4) God sends them to Canaan to be away from them

The Bible is by no means awfully vague on what ungodliness is, it is covered in extensive detail and mentioned in nearly every book.

Question. If God was so angered about Abraham not worshipping their gods, why didn't he settle the score himself? Why didn't he go to them and be like, ok, you guys are wrong, and your gods are fake, and I'm real, so worship me, and be nice to Abraham, I like him a lot. Mmkay?

You almost never have God trying to reason with wicked people in the Bible directly. Instead, he always goes to someone else and makes them tell them (which is a lot less credible), or better yet, smites with no warning. I really think so many religious problems could be solved if God actually spoke up in an unmistakable way. Heck, if God did that, I probably would still be a believer.
---
Desktop: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GNoz
Laptop: http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/model/LX.WY202.001
#30FlashOfLightPosted 3/4/2013 4:57:17 AM
JonWood007 posted...
Question. If God was so angered about Abraham not worshipping their gods, why didn't he settle the score himself? Why didn't he go to them and be like, ok, you guys are wrong, and your gods are fake, and I'm real, so worship me, and be nice to Abraham, I like him a lot. Mmkay?

You almost never have God trying to reason with wicked people in the Bible directly. Instead, he always goes to someone else and makes them tell them (which is a lot less credible), or better yet, smites with no warning. I really think so many religious problems could be solved if God actually spoke up in an unmistakable way. Heck, if God did that, I probably would still be a believer.

Gen 4:6-7

"And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen? If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him."

Gen 20:3

"But God came to Abimelech in a dream by night, and said to him, Behold, thou art but a dead man, for the woman which thou hast taken; for she is a man's wife."

Num 22:12

"And God said unto Balaam, Thou shalt not go with them; thou shalt not curse the people: for they are blessed."

1Kings 11:11

"Wherefore the LORD said unto Solomon, Forasmuch as this is done of thee, and thou hast not kept my covenant and my statutes, which I have commanded thee, I will surely rend the kingdom from thee, and will give it to thy servant."

Daniel 4:31

"While the word was in the king's mouth, there fell a voice from heaven, saying, O king Nebuchadnezzar, to thee it is spoken; The kingdom is departed from thee."
---