This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does it seem like a lot of theists rationalizations invite religious pluralism?

#11TheRealJiraiyaPosted 3/3/2013 10:12:03 AM
DarkContractor posted...
As a Christian, yes you have to dismiss those. Doesn't mean you will, or that will be the basis of your dismissal, but you the two are mutually exclusive.

I have to dismiss rebuttals to continue being a Christian, yes, but as long as none of the rebuttals yet brought to me are VALID, there is nothing intellectually dishonest about being a Christian. There is nothing wrong with dismissing invalid rebuttals (like your gnostic gospels point).

Yet you actively try to convert people. Also, that's a hasty conclusion. textbook logical fallacy. And I would hardly begin to think Biblical morality appears as more plausible. But in fear of inviting distracting dogmatism into this topic, we'll stray away from that.

I dont really actively try and convert people because I dont believe I can convert people. I try and respond to their arguments against Christianity, but ultimately, they have to make that leap of faith. If there is a way to bring them to do that, I havent discovered it yet, and I dont try because I am unconvinced its possible. I knock down barriers, but I dont push them over the edge.

I would love for you to reconcile the Judas contradiction without rationalizing

Before I attempt this, define "rationalizing"
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#12IamvegitoPosted 3/3/2013 5:50:26 PM
Care to say what's wrong with pluralism?
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#13DarkContractor(Topic Creator)Posted 3/4/2013 3:02:53 PM
I have to dismiss rebuttals to continue being a Christian, yes, but as long as none of the rebuttals yet brought to me are VALID, there is nothing intellectually dishonest about being a Christian. There is nothing wrong with dismissing invalid rebuttals (like your gnostic gospels point).

no, these are rationalizations given to me as an apologetic for something that keeps me from maintaining belief (don't get your hopes up, the lack of conclusive evidence is the main). IDC what you believe. Your testimony you told me on Steam is pretty powerful and if everything did happen exactly as you said, then it'd be okay for you to conclusively arrive at Christianity. I do not have such an experience however, nor do the majority of Christians (if they do they don't mention it). Faith is by definition intellectual dishonesty.

I dont really actively try and convert people because I dont believe I can convert people. I try and respond to their arguments against Christianity, but ultimately, they have to make that leap of faith. If there is a way to bring them to do that, I havent discovered it yet, and I dont try because I am unconvinced its possible. I knock down barriers, but I dont push them over the edge.

You told me a little over a week ago that you were going to convert me.

Before I attempt this, define "rationalizing"

An explanation without evidence of the explanation, basically. Is there anything implicit in the texts about a cliff? remember that one debate you and I once had with lasthero on shoehorning stuff and then stuff the Bible actually says?

Care to say what's wrong with pluralism?

"all other gospels/Gods are false" is a good starting point.
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. PSN: MrPillow92 Steam: MrPillowtheGreat
#14IamvegitoPosted 3/4/2013 5:47:53 PM

That doesn't address what I said. You are establishing the religious fundamentalist position. You need to assert why pluralism is bad.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#15DarkContractor(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2013 10:53:33 AM

That doesn't address what I said. You are establishing the religious fundamentalist position. You need to assert why pluralism is bad.

No, I'm establishing the position of the text of nearly every monotheistic religious text.

From there, I will ask "why your God as opposed to the other 2800+". Any reason or problem with any religion given to me, I guarantee you, I will be able to rationalize away. If that doesn't count because I cannot find evidence of my rationalizations, neither do the rationalizations given to me about the Bible.
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. PSN: MrPillow92 Steam: MrPillowtheGreat
#16Hustle KongPosted 3/5/2013 11:20:07 AM
From there, I will ask "why your God as opposed to the other 2800+".

As a believer in pluralism, I have to answer "why not?"

I am a Buddhist and an atheist. I also believe that different beings are going to need different paths to freedom. For me, this path happens to be the Soto school of Zen. For many others, it may be a different form of Buddhism, or a different religion altogether, or a philosophy. Perhaps they need no medicine at all. So be it.

I imagine other pluralists what believe in any gods would view it as they are worshipping the same god/s, who may have revealed it/themselves in different ways. I'm pretty sure that is also a very ancient idea. The Greeks found Hermes and others being worshipped under different names and guises.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#17DarkContractor(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2013 11:23:49 AM(edited)
But you can't be an active believer of multiple monotheistic Gods.

Anyways, I'm curious what monotheistic believers have to say.
---
#18Hustle KongPosted 3/5/2013 11:30:17 AM

You don't have to. You can believe on whichever, and also that that god had revealed itself to a different people in a different way.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#19DarkContractor(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2013 2:09:30 PM

You don't have to. You can believe on whichever, and also that that god had revealed itself to a different people in a different way.

this is true, but monotheism is incompatible with multiple religions, as is asserting a certain God as the only truth. Just because people do it anyways does not mean it's being logically consistent. it also takes away from the aspect of a benevolent God, making him a trickster God. You can be a henotheist, of course.
---
#20kozlo100Posted 3/5/2013 2:12:43 PM
I'd dispute the notion that tricksters can't be benevolent.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.