This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why don't churches sell off all those valuable gold statues and things?

#11bsballa09Posted 3/3/2013 6:28:51 PM(edited)
TheRealJiraiya posted...
bsballa09 posted...
Because historical artifacts of that magnitude shouldn't be sold like common gold and silver.

But some of them are just locked away where no one can see them. Is the keeping of them hidden from sight worth the tens of thousands of children who die each day of starvation?

I am not saying they should get rid of all of it, but it would definitely do a lot of good.

Ill point out that Hezekiah was praised for taking the gold and silver from the Temple to save the lives of the people.

If they sell them to rich people, why can't the rich people just give the money without needing something in return?
---
Lololol @ the Seahawks choking.
#12SpawnShadowPosted 3/3/2013 6:33:59 PM(edited)
LastManStanding posted...
As far as I know, anything blessed cannot be sold. Peace

What's stopping someone from taking it when nobody's watching and selling it on the black market? Or owning a blessed object legally, and selling it on Craigslist? An immediate and painful smiting, courtesy of the Almighty Smiter? The Spanish Inquisition, their ridiculous lists, comfy chair, and dish rack?
---
"Mjolnir: apply directly to the forehead."
Wanna know how to keep an idiot busy for hours on end? See quote for details!
#13TheRealJiraiyaPosted 3/3/2013 6:32:29 PM
bsballa09 posted...
TheRealJiraiya posted...
bsballa09 posted...
Because historical artifacts of that magnitude shouldn't be sold like common gold and silver.

But some of them are just locked away where no one can see them. Is the keeping of them hidden from sight worth the tens of thousands of children who die each day of starvation?

I am not saying they should get rid of all of it, but it would definitely do a lot of good.

Ill point out that Hezekiah was praised for taking the gold and silver from the Temple to save the lives of the people.

If they sell them to rich people, why can't the rich people just give the money without needing something in return?

You cant change what they do. You can only change what you do. They SHOULD, but they wont. But they also arent supposedly God's Church, so they arent as obligated.

The Bible makes it clear that Christian leaders are held to a higher standard.

Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. -James 3:1
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#14OzymandiasIVPosted 3/3/2013 6:50:32 PM
One of several issues I've always had with Catholicism.
---
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.
#15bsballa09Posted 3/3/2013 6:50:58 PM

You cant change what they do. You can only change what you do. They SHOULD, but they wont. But they also arent supposedly God's Church, so they arent as obligated.

Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. -James 3:1

If it's just plain gold and silver bars, sure go ahead and sell it. But if it's an artifact, I don't think they should sell it, even if it's just collecting dust. Imagine the stuff we would find if they didn't do that in ancient times.
---
#16TheRealJiraiyaPosted 3/3/2013 6:52:20 PM
bsballa09 posted...

If it's just plain gold and silver bars, sure go ahead and sell it. But if it's an artifact, I don't think they should sell it, even if it's just collecting dust. Imagine the stuff we would find if they didn't do that in ancient times.

A museum could hold it just as well, and unlike having it collect dust, we could actually learn from it in the museum. I assure you they did do some of this stuff in relatively ancient times, and we are learning nothing from it, because its hidden in the Vatican.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#17OzymandiasIVPosted 3/3/2013 7:07:26 PM
From: CorporateKnight | Posted: 3/3/2013 5:51:25 PM | #005
“How could we ever do good to our neighbour,” asks St. Clement of Alexandria, “if none of us possessed anything?”

"Yea, so let us horde and horde, until we can horde no more, and then not put any of our riches to good use for those who need it, because then we'd have nothing and thus would have nothing to give..."

Wait a minute...

That's like saying I wouldn't use a fire extinguisher to put out a fire in my house, because then I wouldn't have a fire extinguisher if my house ever caught on fire and I needed a fire extinguisher to put it out.
---
#18OzymandiasIVPosted 3/3/2013 7:09:22 PM

It could be sold to museums. Or, since, you know, it's an earthly possession, it shouldn't matter to the Christian leaders anyway.
---
#19Darklit_Requiem(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2013 7:14:19 PM

Why not? Isn't that basically idolatry? Those artifacts are doing absolutely nothing sitting there in the vaults, would make a lot more sense to use them to benefit humanity
---
~When life leaves us blind, love keeps us kind~
#20bsballa09Posted 3/3/2013 7:41:49 PM
A museum could hold it just as well, and unlike having it collect dust, we could actually learn from it in the museum.

Yes, a museum can hold them. But this topic is about selling them to help people. Museums generally don't buy items. And when they do, they certainly don't pay the exorbitant prices that they are worth.
---