This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

is there any religion in the world that is not a complete cluster f*** of irony?

#1wolf_blitzer85Posted 3/3/2013 8:37:44 PM
I thought Hinduism and Buddhism would be the answer to Western religious trolling. boy, did I learn the hard way. >_>

H: Caste system, reincarnation as punishment
B: Life is suffering. Live an entire lifetime to do nothing but suffer.

The artwork is quite nice though, don't you agree?
---
Confirm/Deny? The best way to protect 2nd Amendment rights is to have all guns make the 'Pew Pew Pew' sound when you fire them.
#2FlashOfLightPosted 3/3/2013 8:44:30 PM
wolf_blitzer85 posted...

See, that makes the typical debate question of "Why is there suffering in the world" a little bit different, don't it?
---
Never marry a woman before you hear her scream.
#3Julian_CaesarPosted 3/3/2013 9:39:48 PM
You can find as much "irony" as you want, wherever you want, if you try hard enough.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#4TheRealJiraiyaPosted 3/3/2013 10:13:37 PM
Hustle Kong is going to rage at this thread lol :P
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#5wolf_blitzer85(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2013 10:25:06 PM(edited)
oh s*** I had a total mind meltdown just now, consider this:
What if (in keeping with Daoist/Taoist philosophy) God is actually Dualistic in nature?
And Satan is merely a representation of his bad side? pause.............. is your mind blown?
Fits in rather nicely to explaining the Abrahamic religions.

Julian_Caesar posted...
You can find as much "irony" as you want, wherever you want, if you try hard enough.

I found enough irony in the first 3 books of Genesis?
And somewhere in the middle of Leviticus.
---
Confirm/Deny? The best way to protect 2nd Amendment rights is to have all guns make the 'Pew Pew Pew' sound when you fire them.
#6Moorish_IdolPosted 3/3/2013 10:49:09 PM
wolf_blitzer85 posted...

Except for the part where Jesus talks to Satan in person, and doesn't give any inclination that he is talking to God, which would be himself.
#7OrangeWizardPosted 3/3/2013 11:05:22 PM
TC is digging a hole so deep you'd think you were watching the movie Armageddon.
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive things.
#8FingerpuppetPosted 3/3/2013 11:15:55 PM
Moorish_Idol posted...
wolf_blitzer85 posted...

Except for the part where Jesus talks to Satan in person, and doesn't give any inclination that he is talking to God, which would be himself.

You have to admit that it does fall in line, though. After all, God impregnated a woman with himself and Jesus did sacrifice himself to be with himself in heaven.
---
I recently came back to this site. I don't have an interesting sig, so please say something interesting that I can put here.
#9mercurydudePosted 3/3/2013 11:25:59 PM
wolf_blitzer85 posted...
I thought Hinduism and Buddhism would be the answer to Western religious trolling. boy, did I learn the hard way. >_>

You're oversimplifying both of them, but as far as Buddhism goes, you seem to have missed the other three Noble Truths. If Buddhism began and ended with just the first one, it would be nothing but a pessimistic observation that would have been forgotten long ago. The Buddha was not a pessimist, however. There's a reason why he's usually depicted with a little Mona Lisa smile on his face.
---
"I am going to light a fire in Paradise and pour water on Hell, so that both veils completely vanish." - Rabia Al-'Adawiyya
#10EastsideslingerPosted 3/4/2013 12:01:40 AM
mercurydude posted...
wolf_blitzer85 posted...

You're oversimplifying both of them, but as far as Buddhism goes, you seem to have missed the other three Noble Truths. If Buddhism began and ended with just the first one, it would be nothing but a pessimistic observation that would have been forgotten long ago. The Buddha was not a pessimist, however. There's a reason why he's usually depicted with a little Mona Lisa smile on his face.

Just so we're clear the laughing buddha is not Siddartha Guatama....
---
"That's Mushy Snugglebites' badonkadonk. She's my main squeeze. Lady's got a gut fulla' dynamite and a booty like POOOW!" - Tiny Tina