This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

In all honesty, why is God so reserved?

#1Mike_StantonPosted 3/6/2013 11:53:45 AM
I mean that in the sense that even if he existed, he clearly doesn't interact very closely at all with his grand creation. This is a problem for theism (especially religious theism) that seems to go overlooked and taken for granted very easily, but take a moment to think about. If God exists as some sort of "all seeing eye" then that means that whenever we debate his existence on this board--or whenever anyone debates his existence for that matter--God is well aware of it, but instead of ending the debate by proving his existence he chooses to keep watching while allowing people to keep pondering his existence. I mean, does he even want people to believe in him? If he does then I would question why he set everything up so that the more we learned about science the more doubtful his existence would become.

I could even take this as far as the fact that we have man made governments, as well as man made law enforcement. If God created everything then why didn't he appoint himself as the dictator of the universe instead of having us be limited to electing a bunch of corrupt bureaucrats? In the case of law enforcement, sometimes a murderer gets away with murder because no one could find enough evidence to convict them. Other times a person is wrongfully convicted for similar reasons. But if God exists, then he knows who did and didn't commit a murder, which only raises the question of why he doesn't just convict people himself instead of allowing criminals to run Scot free?
---
RIP Butters_1188 2005-2009
Prove me wrong
#2LastManStandingPosted 3/6/2013 11:55:35 AM
God gave us free will
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#3Mike_Stanton(Topic Creator)Posted 3/6/2013 11:59:43 AM
God gave us free will

How does any of this contradict free will? People would still have the choice to go against what God tells them even if he enforced laws himself.
---
Prove me wrong
#4LastManStandingPosted 3/6/2013 12:05:09 PM
Mike_Stanton posted...
God gave us free will

How does any of this contradict free will? People would still have the choice to go against what God tells them even if he enforced laws himself.

Well free will, allows us to decide good vs. evil. Every sin moves us further away from God.
---
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#5DoGCyNPosted 3/6/2013 12:07:24 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6ThuggernautzPosted 3/6/2013 12:13:03 PM
Yes, I also find it strange that such a being would punish someone for setting up the Universe in such a way that God's existence is both potentially not necessary and not obvious at all.
#7LastManStandingPosted 3/6/2013 12:15:34 PM
DoGCyN posted...
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]

Good you erased it... It was a heresy
---
#8LastManStandingPosted 3/6/2013 12:16:23 PM
Love your neighbor as yourself.
---
#9Mike_Stanton(Topic Creator)Posted 3/6/2013 12:43:53 PM
Does anyone else ever get the sense that LMS isn't even a real person and is instead just an AI that's programmed to respond to messages in a way that a fundie typically would? I swear, this guy interacts just like those bots.
---
Prove me wrong
#10chareyPosted 3/6/2013 12:51:15 PM
Mike_Stanton posted...
Does anyone else ever get the sense that LMS isn't even a real person and is instead just an AI that's programmed to respond to messages in a way that a fundie typically would? I swear, this guy interacts just like those bots.

I need scissors. 61!
---
I won't have it! I'm not having anyone talk about me in
the past tense! ~Squall Leonhart