This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Honestly Ask Yourself: What do you fear?

#1Polish_CrusaderPosted 3/7/2013 5:03:42 PM(edited)
You know what someone fears by examining the opposite of what they are currently doing. Like famous people fear being out of the spotlight, so they make albums and/or movies every 6-12 months to stay in the spotlight, no matter how low grade their work actually is (coughjayzcough). Fear is a powerful motivator in our lives. Fear motivated MLK to march for a better life (and succeeded brilliantly). Fear of more terrorist attacks motivated us to invade afghanistan and iraq, where after their dictator was overthrown, their people were crying with joy for having the first time in their life to vote in an election for their own leader. Fear defines us everyday- when we go to work, when we come home to our familis, how we solve our problems. Fear is a big part of my faith in God. I fear a lot of evil things. That is why I choose Jesus.

Why do I believe what I believe?

1.) Spiritual
Because I fear God, and his righteous judgement against my wickedness (which i used to have a lot of).
I fear the devil and his possible attacks on my life.
I fear going to Hell.
I fear doing something that leads someone else to hell.
I fear not being blessed here on earth. Which i need a lot of, because right now my life is hard, but slowly getting better.

2.)Family
I fear not showing the ones i care about love.
I fear being like my Dad and not having a stable career in my 50's and having problems with my bills my entire life.
I fear not getting a wife.
I fear not having kids of my own someday.

3.)Health
I fear getting into a habit or eating something that damages my body.
I fear my heart problem and arthritis might be the death of me
I fear that companies might do something to damage my health in the name of making money

Post thoughts. What do you fear, gamefaqsers?
#2OrangeWizardPosted 3/7/2013 5:01:00 PM
where their people were crying with joy for having the first time in their life to vote in an election for their own leader.

What, like 18 year-olds?
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive things.
#3kozlo100Posted 3/7/2013 5:02:58 PM
I fear non-existence.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot I believe I can do to avoid it in the long run, so that fear tends not to motivate my actions.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#4TheRealJiraiyaPosted 3/7/2013 5:14:04 PM
kozlo100 posted...
I fear non-existence.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot I believe I can do to avoid it in the long run, so that fear tends not to motivate my actions.

Omg, so much this. I dont know how atheists handle it tbh
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#5Polish_Crusader(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2013 5:16:07 PM
TheRealJ, what do you fear, bro?
#6GBALoserPosted 3/7/2013 5:24:00 PM
I guess the only real fear I have is harming someone I care about, intentionally or not.

See, I'm a natural recluse. I usually work best if left to my own means. Think Simon and Garfunkel's "I am a Rock." However, life happens. I'm getting married in July to a woman with a similar personality to myself. It's been a challenge to not be a complete shut-in because I know through my inaction I can still do harm. Hurting her is the last thing I ever wish to do, but I try to overcome myself for her sake.
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#7TheRealJiraiyaPosted 3/7/2013 5:24:29 PM
Polish_Crusader posted...
TheRealJ, what do you fear, bro?

The same thing Kozlo does. The fear that I might be wrong, and perish into nonexistence. I think I would take any kind of self awareness over none at all. It keeps me up at nights, especially when, as now, I am a bit shaky spiritually (itll go up again.. if history is any indication, so dont worry, but it causes this fear to be very strong)
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#8OrangeWizardPosted 3/7/2013 5:26:13 PM
I think I would take any kind of self awareness over none at all.

"I have no mouth and I must scream".
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive things.
#9kozlo100Posted 3/7/2013 5:33:58 PM
TheRealJiraiya posted...
I dont know how atheists handle it tbh

This atheist usually gets by in accordance with the spirit of the Serenity Prayer in it's short form.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#10cyclonekrusePosted 3/7/2013 5:39:30 PM
kozlo100 posted...
I fear non-existence.

I think I'm strange in that respect. I don't fear non-existence, at least not how it would pertain to me personally. I worry about how my passing would affect my loved ones, but if I were to slip into non-existence, I would (by definition) not be upset about it. And the thought of non-existence (insofar as I can imagine it) doesn't seem very scary to me.

I do fear pain.
I fear embarrassment (which is the root of many other fears I possess).
I fear not achieving the goals I want to achieve.
---
Locke: "Why do you find it so hard to believe?" || Jack "Why do you find it so easy?!" ||
Locke: "It's never been easy!"