This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Christians in Iraq

#11almasbaby(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 8:12:53 PM
Fingerpuppet posted...
...so you didn't see the GDP increase after the US took out Saddam and the Taliban?

I see Iraqis living in the dark.
#12FingerpuppetPosted 3/20/2013 8:14:51 PM
almasbaby posted...
Fingerpuppet posted...
...so you didn't see the GDP increase after the US took out Saddam and the Taliban?

But you don't see that the economy of Iraq has increased six-fold since 2002, do you?
---
I recently came back to this site. I don't have an interesting sig, so please say something interesting that I can put here.
#13almasbaby(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 10:12:37 PM
Fingerpuppet posted...
almasbaby posted...
Fingerpuppet posted...

But you don't see that the economy of Iraq has increased six-fold since 2002, do you?

I see a chart produced by the World Bank, an institution that regularly lends money to impoverished governments with draconian conditions. Those numbers say nothing of the crumbling infrastructure of the country, the lack of basic necessities such as electricity and clean drinking water which has been a result of the invasion for 10 years now.

Just what are these numbers supposed to prove, how much better things are? If that's the case why are things so dire for the average Iraqi? Where is the money going?
#14Maverick3000Posted 3/21/2013 3:42:05 AM
The invaders did help to improve infrastructure.

Uh.. not really. Iraq had pretty dang good infrastructure before the war. Most of the work we did was repairing the damage we caused during the invasion and occupation.

A.) What the hell does the Taliban have to do with Iraq?

B.) The GDP growth was mostly due to oil and not because a shift in leadership (that and ending of sanctions).
---
we're not all geniuses like you Maverick. >_> - AWrulez
#15bratt100Posted 3/21/2013 5:54:53 AM
Polish_Crusader posted...
Either way its a win-win situation for christians.

If they die for their belief in christ they will get even greater reward in heaven.
If they stay in iraq or flee someplace else, they will be able to spread the good news wherever they are. God did the same thing when alexander took over all the known world and made the israelites spread out.

As a christian, i am not worried about this fact of this article at all. It happens all over the world. God spreads us out for his will. Just like he spread me down to the great state of texas.

I'm starting to think you and LMS are the same person.
---
"If the victim was a mute, then she shouldn't really be out alone."- OrangeWizard on rape
#16Chaos ScadePosted 3/21/2013 2:18:55 PM
Either way its a win-win situation for christians.

If they die for their belief in christ they will get even greater reward in heaven.
If they stay in iraq or flee someplace else, they will be able to spread the good news wherever they are. God did the same thing when alexander took over all the known world and made the israelites spread out.

As a christian, i am not worried about this fact of this article at all. It happens all over the world. God spreads us out for his will. Just like he spread me down to the great state of texas.

omg you are so one-dimensional
---
Taste the fountain of immortality.
http://i43.tinypic.com/iqehc6.jpg
#17Polish_CrusaderPosted 3/21/2013 3:24:06 PM
I am christ dimensional. The best dimension there is. :)

Thank you.
#18Burning_WolfXPosted 3/21/2013 9:41:46 PM
Polish_Crusader posted...
I am christ dimensional. The best dimension there is. :)

Thank you.

So the suffering and vicious persecution of Christians there is a "win-win" to them? Try telling that to the hundreds of Christians there who have watched their friends and family get gunned down in the streets, seen their churches blown up, have their houses and businesses torched, and live their lives in fear of what will come next. Try telling that to the Christian population in Baghdad, which went from 50,000 people before the invasion, to the 100 or so families still in the city today, largely due to either martyrdom or being forced to flee their homeland.
---
Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, suffering, and injustice when He could do something about it. But Im afraid He'd ask me the same thing.
#19Julian_CaesarPosted 3/21/2013 10:43:17 PM
So the suffering and vicious persecution of Christians there is a "win-win" to them? Try telling that to the hundreds of Christians there who have watched their friends and family get gunned down in the streets, seen their churches blown up, have their houses and businesses torched, and live their lives in fear of what will come next. Try telling that to the Christian population in Baghdad, which went from 50,000 people before the invasion, to the 100 or so families still in the city today, largely due to either martyrdom or being forced to flee their homeland.

I'm sure he would tell it to them, to their faces even. So would hundreds of thousands of Christians who have given their lives for the faith. So would Paul, who was beaten and tortured and thrown in jail and mocked and spat upon for the sake of the Gospel.

And so would Jesus, who never promised His followers happiness, or financial security, or personal safety...instead, He promised them persecution.

I don't agree with LMS or Polish on many things, but on this thing I do agree. And you're fighting an uphill battle if you're trying to convince a couple of Christians that persecution is not something we are called to endure for the sake of Jesus' name.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#20Burning_WolfXPosted 3/23/2013 10:27:16 AM
Julian_Caesar posted...

I'm sure he would tell it to them, to their faces even. So would hundreds of thousands of Christians who have given their lives for the faith. So would Paul, who was beaten and tortured and thrown in jail and mocked and spat upon for the sake of the Gospel.

And so would Jesus, who never promised His followers happiness, or financial security, or personal safety...instead, He promised them persecution.

I don't agree with LMS or Polish on many things, but on this thing I do agree. And you're fighting an uphill battle if you're trying to convince a couple of Christians that persecution is not something we are called to endure for the sake of Jesus' name.

I'm not saying that we're not called to endure persecution. I'm saying that it's completely ridiculous to gloss over the pain and suffering of others like it doesn't even matter, which is what Polish was doing.
---
Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, suffering, and injustice when He could do something about it. But Im afraid He'd ask me the same thing.