This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Buddhism in India

#1Vado_UNPosted 3/19/2013 2:16:08 PM
How is Indian Buddhism different from Chinese Buddhism aside from the fact that Chinese Buddhism has Daoism mixed in it and Indian Buddhism has Hindu influences?
---
"Heads start boppin' like who's this? Vado, that dude spits/
Sharper than steak knives from Ruth's Chris" - Vado
#2IamvegitoPosted 3/19/2013 3:29:04 PM(edited)
I'm no expert on Buddhism or Indian religion as a whole, but since Buddhism originated as a critique of caste and Hinduism, it's philosophy probably addresses them more. Mahayana and the Upanishads were contemporary, so there's probably a bigger dealing with tat tvam asi, aham brahmasmi, ayamatma brahma, and prag˝anam brahma, and some sort of incorporation of the Vedic pantheon into the system (since both Buddhism and Hinduism are highly syncretic).

If you mean in practice, I do know that Indian Buddhists offer puja to icons. I'm not sure if that is absent in Chinese/ Tibetan Buddhism.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#3KNessJMPosted 3/19/2013 8:46:29 PM
Not much, aside from what you mentioned and the specific influences of the patriarchs of the teachings. Different influences lead to different conclusions, teachings, and practices.

There's also the ineffable cultural differences in perspective and values, but that's a lot harder to quantify, and a bit beyond my current understanding.
---
Quote of the Week: "There is an inner logic and we're taught to stay far from it. It's simple and elegant but it's cruel and antithetic."
#4AdmiralBisonPosted 3/20/2013 2:02:31 AM
Ask Hustle.
He maybe able to answer this.
---
If delusions and Illusions are an en-escapable part of our entire lives, why not just pick a positive one?
#5Hustle KongPosted 3/20/2013 6:42:50 AM
Eh, I'm no expert. The previous posters say pretty much what I would.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#6AdmiralBisonPosted 3/21/2013 1:09:32 AM
Hustle Kong posted...
Eh, I'm no expert. The previous posters say pretty much what I would.

Aren't you Bhuddist?
---
If delusions and Illusions are an en-escapable part of our entire lives, why not just pick a positive one?
#7Hustle KongPosted 3/21/2013 3:59:34 AM
Sure, but that hardly makes me an expert on how it is practiced world-wide.
---
Shooting Game never die.
#8AdmiralBisonPosted 3/22/2013 3:00:36 AM
Hustle Kong posted...
Sure, but that hardly makes me an expert on how it is practiced world-wide.

Do you know if there is any basic distinction between Chinese Bhuddism and Indian Bhuddism?

Apart from the culture and deities?

Where did Buddhism originate from?
---
#9Hustle KongPosted 3/22/2013 3:25:23 AM
It came in its current forms directly from Jesus.
---
Shooting Game never die.
#10bratt100Posted 3/22/2013 3:29:47 AM
600 years before Christ but hey why not.
---
"If the victim was a mute, then she shouldn't really be out alone."- OrangeWizard on rape