This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pope Francis on celibacy for priests: It can change.

#21RanzohPosted 3/25/2013 8:54:08 AM
kts123 posted...
that's good advice, I shouldn't compare something as ridiculous as the Bible to what could potentially be God's Word.

There is an interesting phenomenon, where someone vehemently opposes something to suppress their own true feelings or thoughts. For example, it has been shown that homophobics (real homophobics) tend to have suppressed homosexual desires. It's like the old saying "Me thinks thou doth protest too much."

So if you are not against gay marriage you're more likely to be straight? Let's say you aren't against interracial marriage, are you most likely to prefer your own? Judging by the preferences stated many times on this board and elsewhere I'm not sure if this applies. Also, we can go by countries who are seen as lenient towards gays, if not gay marriage, and see which ones have more gays. I think we all have stereotypical images of countries that are "more straight" than another country regardless of whether that country has perhaps been lenient towards them.
#22bratt100Posted 3/25/2013 8:58:36 AM
It's much more likely that the stigma of being gay is less in those areas and they feel that they can come out of the closet.

I doubt there are any more gays in one country then the next...it's just that they feel safe enough to be open about it.
---
"If the victim was a mute, then she shouldn't really be out alone."- OrangeWizard on rape
#23kts123Posted 3/26/2013 2:58:14 PM
Ranzoh posted...
kts123 posted...
that's good advice, I shouldn't compare something as ridiculous as the Bible to what could potentially be God's Word.

There is an interesting phenomenon, where someone vehemently opposes something to suppress their own true feelings or thoughts. For example, it has been shown that homophobics (real homophobics) tend to have suppressed homosexual desires. It's like the old saying "Me thinks thou doth protest too much."

So if you are not against gay marriage you're more likely to be straight? Let's say you aren't against interracial marriage, are you most likely to prefer your own? Judging by the preferences stated many times on this board and elsewhere I'm not sure if this applies. Also, we can go by countries who are seen as lenient towards gays, if not gay marriage, and see which ones have more gays. I think we all have stereotypical images of countries that are "more straight" than another country regardless of whether that country has perhaps been lenient towards them.

I'm talking about REAL homophobics, not people who are labeled homophobic for political reasons.
#24Julian_CaesarPosted 3/28/2013 9:46:40 PM
I'm talking about REAL homophobics, not people who are labeled homophobic for political reasons.

Not going to butt in on the actual discussion, but I appreciate you making this distinction.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#25Rainmaker59Posted 3/29/2013 12:35:04 AM
Back on topic...

Yes, in the early years of the church, Catholic priests were allowed to be married. Whether it was allowed for a married man to become a priest or if an ordained priest was allowed to marry after taking vows, I'm not sure as I've never researched the subject. Technically, there is still one circumstance in which there can be a married Catholic priest. If an ordained married Anglican converts to Catholicism, he remains married and ordained.

Perhaps property inheritance did have something to do with the decision of making Catholic priests remain single back when that change was made. Again, I really don't know. These days, however, I don't think that is factored into it. Most priests own very, very little. They own a reasonable car, some furniture, clothing and some personal belongings. Very, very few own property of any value. There's simply nothing there for anyone to inherit, church or offspring. Rather, it is their time and dedication that the church demands 100% of.

The priest at my church says celibacy isn't the hardest part of being a priest, obedience is. Hard enough to have a single man subject himself to that kind if obedience. But when you have a wife and children who must submit themselves to it also, plus the torn loyalties of the husband/father/priest, then that puts these men in a position where they might have to give one vow priority over the other.

I'm not saying it can't or shouldn't been done. Other Christian faiths are able to make it work. Other professions are able to make it work (doctors, for example). It certainly is something that can be changed and I think it's great that we have a pope that is open to the idea. I think we're going to see a lot of progressive thoughts and ideas from this new pope. Whether anything comes from it remains to be seen.
---
3DS FC: 3265-5063-5380
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. ~ John Lennon
#26ravenomoarPosted 3/29/2013 10:45:16 AM
LastManStanding posted...
Brother whatever entered you is devouring you. Go see a priest. Out of all the atheists here, you are spitting utter nonsense. Looks like when Satan gets a person after repentance he goes ballistic.

I think quite the opposite. Something is devouring you. I side with DC on this. And would definitely share brews with him! It has been already established that the bible was written over a wide timespan by different authors with contradicting views. Given the factual misrepresentations it could not be inspired or written by god, because god would have already known these self-evident and obvious truths.
#27DarkContractorPosted 3/29/2013 4:07:06 PM

The interesting phenomenon is you having to make **** up about others in order to justify your faith. Let's just nip this one in the bud, I'm not gonna let a silly assertion like this merit more than a response or two at the most. So you are claiming that I am 'suppressing' my true feelings and thoughts on the Bible. Burden of proof is on you to back that up.

Oh and the implied no true scotsmening of certain homophobes, that's a close runner up for interesting phenomenon.
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. PSN: MrPillow92 Steam: MrPillowtheGreat
#28DarkContractorPosted 3/29/2013 4:08:01 PM
LastManStanding posted...
Brother whatever entered you is devouring you. Go see a priest. Out of all the atheists here, you are spitting utter nonsense. Looks like when Satan gets a person after repentance he goes ballistic.

I think quite the opposite. Something is devouring you. I side with DC on this. And would definitely share brews with him! It has been already established that the bible was written over a wide timespan by different authors with contradicting views. Given the factual misrepresentations it could not be inspired or written by god, because god would have already known these self-evident and obvious truths.

Yeah, the Bible has the Euthyphyro dilema written all over it, imo.
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. PSN: MrPillow92 Steam: MrPillowtheGreat