This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why should I believe the Bible over the Qur'an?

#1De EvolutionPosted 3/23/2013 11:21:20 AM
The Qur'an claims to be the word of God and if it's correct that means Christianity is false.

Why should I accept the Bible as truth when the Qur'an clearly says it's false?

---
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor; and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.
#2GBALoserPosted 3/23/2013 11:38:53 AM
I don't recall the Qur'an ever calling the Bible false.

It's been a while since I've read it, but I thought it was more like the angels said, "Look, we told the Jews, and they pretty much chastised or killed everyone we sent to give God's Word. So now we're giving the Arabs a shot."
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#3De Evolution(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2013 11:44:23 AM(edited)
GBALoser posted...
I don't recall the Qur'an ever calling the Bible false.

I said if the Qur'an is true then Christianity is false. Perhaps I should have been more specific. The Bible as a whole is not construed as false nor is it seen as wholly true. Definitely the idea of Jesus as God or a son of God is a falsehood in Islam. Also there are many points that would be pointed as being misinterpreted by Christians.

It's been a while since I've read it, but I thought it was more like the angels said, "Look, we told the Jews, and they pretty much chastised or killed everyone we sent to give God's Word. So now we're giving the Arabs a shot."

Not really. The angels don't make decisions. They're simply a physical manifestation of the will of Allah. Allah calls the shots. Angels don't act of their own accord in Islam.

And it's not about being anti-Jew either. It's about men in general not being receptive to the word of God. All prophets are shunned by their own people.

Two gross and inaccurate oversimplifications you just made.

---
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor; and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.
#4GBALoserPosted 3/23/2013 11:48:33 AM
But you were implying that Christianity was false according to the Koran. Can they not both be true to an extent?

And yeah, as I said, it's been a while since I've read the Koran so I probably did oversimplify things. That's the vibe I got when I read it. What I also got from reading it was that there is reverence for the prophets before Mohammad, and the angels were upset that God's "chosen" people were completely ignoring everyone that He had sent down or spoke through.

I wasn't trying to make it sound like the Koran was anti-Jew, either.
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#5TheRealJiraiyaPosted 3/23/2013 11:53:54 AM
The Quran never held as much weight for me because of the whole "this is what actually happened 800 years ago and all of the closer accounts were corrupted" thing, especially when they get into the idea that Muhammad was prophesied and that was also corrupted and Jesus was born with a book and did and taught a bunch of other stuff and that was corrupted and its like

1. Setting aside religious belief, from a pure weak atheist/agnostic (there you are, ARS, a slash) position, why should I believe you are closer to the truth than what we actually have?

2. We can see where the edits are, and how early the books were written. In order for the number of things excluded and corrupted to have taken place they would have all had to happen at the beginning, which is silly

3. WHATS THE POINT OF PROPHECY AND TEACHINGS IF IT KEEPS GETTING CORRUPTED. What an inefficient deity

Islam would be a lot less weak, in my eyes (I view it pretty mid-tier on the scale of religions that arent mine), if it didnt try and put forward that kind of a case.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#6TheRealJiraiyaPosted 3/23/2013 11:54:25 AM
GBALoser posted...
But you were implying that Christianity was false according to the Koran. Can they not both be true to an extent?.

Quran teaches Jesus wasnt crucified, which is kind of the focal point of Christianity.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#7De Evolution(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2013 11:55:02 AM
GBALoser posted...
But you were implying that Christianity was false according to the Koran. Can they not both be true to an extent?

Well the Bible can be true to an extent but the Qur'an cannot be true only to "an extent". It has to be wholly true or it's not the direct word of God, by its own criteria. So yeah the Bible can be true "to an extent". But once that "extent" begins to disagree with the Qur'an in any way, that part of the Bible is deemed as falsehood and untrue.

And yeah, as I said, it's been a while since I've read the Koran so I probably did oversimplify things. That's the vibe I got when I read it. What I also got from reading it was that there is reverence for the prophets before Mohammad, and the angels were upset that God's "chosen" people were completely ignoring everyone that He had sent down or spoke through.

Yeah the Qur'an does have reverence for the prophets before Muhammad. What's that have to do with anything? Islam shares all of the same prophets and most of the same stories. The Qur'an isn't really a narrative on the opinions of the angels. For the most part they are just a manifestation of God's will. Only a few times does the Qur'an mention the personal feelings of the angels and overall I'd say they remain unimportant to the message of the Qur'an. If the angels are unhappy with men it's pretty much a representation of how God feels.

---
#8De Evolution(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2013 12:00:49 PM
TheRealJiraiya posted...
The Quran never held as much weight for me because of the whole "this is what actually happened 800 years ago and all of the closer accounts were corrupted" thing, especially when they get into the idea that Muhammad was prophesied and that was also corrupted and Jesus was born with a book and did and taught a bunch of other stuff and that was corrupted and its like

Why? The Qur'an aims to clear up the mistakes that were made earlier. You certainly can't think they got everything right back then.

1. Setting aside religious belief, from a pure weak atheist/agnostic (there you are, ARS, a slash) position, why should I believe you are closer to the truth than what we actually have?

What do you actually have? If you're saying you're coming from a weak atheist/agnostic position what are you saying you already have?

2. We can see where the edits are, and how early the books were written. In order for the number of things excluded and corrupted to have taken place they would have all had to happen at the beginning, which is silly

Like how scholars can track the different books of the bible and how they had different authors with different views and most were written long after the events actually occurred?

3. WHATS THE POINT OF PROPHECY AND TEACHINGS IF IT KEEPS GETTING CORRUPTED. What an inefficient deity

You tell me. The entire history from the book of Genesis until the New Testament is the Jews messing up so much that eventually God had to create a whole new system.

What an inefficient deity.

Islam would be a lot less weak, in my eyes (I view it pretty mid-tier on the scale of religions that arent mine), if it didnt try and put forward that kind of a case.

I'm sure you do. What's your tier system based on?

---
#9DarkContractorPosted 3/23/2013 12:08:03 PM(edited)
Muhammed did not even have any miracles. Every single prophet of the OT Yahweh did a miracle to confirm to the masses, but with Muhammed, he was just like "I swear guys believe me plz".

Sura 17:88 is a very good disproof of Islam as well. It says the sun sets in a muddy lake every night that obscures its light and thats why we have nighttime, for crying out loud.

edit: okay wait i dont think jeremiah had a miracle, i could be mistaken though and i cba to check
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. PSN: MrPillow92 Steam: MrPillowtheGreat
#10OrangeWizardPosted 3/23/2013 12:04:40 PM
Why? The Qur'an aims to clear up the mistakes that were made earlier. You certainly can't think they got everything right back then.

I think God would be able to ensure that no mistakes were made with his chosen form of communication. Yes, I do think that God should have been able to get everything right.

You tell me. The entire history from the book of Genesis until the New Testament is the Jews messing up so much that eventually God had to create a whole new system.

What an inefficient deity.

Except that's not what happened at all.
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive things.