This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What would count as suicide in the religious sense?

#11Hustle KongPosted 3/23/2013 9:48:02 PM
bratt100 posted...
What of situations where you intend to die but by some fluke you survive...does that count?

That's called attempted suicide. Sometimes that attempt wakes a person up. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it is a "cry for help", and subconsciously thwarted. Sometimes people just fail.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#12Hustle KongPosted 3/23/2013 9:48:59 PM(edited)
bratt100 posted...
I never thought I would say this but "what hustle said"

Each time gets a little easier.
---
Shooting Game never die.
#13bratt100Posted 3/23/2013 10:30:38 PM
I just mean the intent. If you were to hang yourself and the rope broke would that count as an mortal sin?
---
"If the victim was a mute, then she shouldn't really be out alone."- OrangeWizard on rape
#14rick alveradoPosted 3/23/2013 11:37:00 PM
Attempted suicide would count as a sin regardless of the success or failure. The only reason that successful suicide is considered an unforgivable sin, in some denominations, is because you can't ask for forgiveness after you've died. Which is why if you're committing suicide and are a Christian, you should just set up an elaborate super-villain style deathtrap, so that you have time to repent before actually being finished off.
---
"Where's Conrad's nipple?" Jared Penner
#15Hustle KongPosted 3/24/2013 6:41:07 AM
bratt100 posted...
I just mean the intent. If you were to hang yourself and the rope broke would that count as an mortal sin?

Oops. Thought that was the TC's post. I wouldn't have answered so "basically". Pretty much what Rick said then. Yeah, super big sin, but hey, you're able to repent.
---
Shooting Game never die.
#16DarkContractorPosted 3/24/2013 2:28:22 PM
Technically, volunteering to serve in the Middle Eastern underground Church would be suicide.
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. PSN: MrPillow92 Steam: MrPillowtheGreat
#17Moorish_IdolPosted 3/24/2013 3:16:23 PM
DarkContractor posted...
Technically, volunteering to serve in the Middle Eastern underground Church would be suicide.

I think any death related to that would more likely count as martyrdom.