This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Mormons are cool

#1WarlockQuanPosted 3/23/2013 10:12:49 PM
So, this isn't going to be antagonistic at all and that's not my point.

Although I grew up not going to any church, in the south I was ridiculed for this but always believed a god existed because of my father's catholic background. In high school, I was "saved" in the evangelical/protestant sense and have attended either Southern Baptist or Reformed Presbyterian churches...moving churches whenever I moved from my parents to college to a job, etc. I will tell you how much the hypocritical nature of many had me down with church. The number of people that denounced Christ openly and had problems with morality (like highly sexually active and illegal drugs). Even though church is not God, one's relationship with Christ is affected after a while. I recently had a job interview in Salt Lake City and it looks like I will be going out there. I met with LDS missionaries for a while to initially learn what Mormons were like but while in SLC went to Temple Square. In Temple Square I just met the coolest sister missionaries and talked to them on the phone twice a week for two months. I almost converted and was to be baptized but just didn't believe in many of the doctrines so I declined. But I will say this, I really wish Mormonism was true (at least for me). My experience with every single LDSer and LDS family has been so ridiculously positive and can't call it a "cult" like Southern Baptists do. Anyone else think Mormons are really nice, passionate, hardworking legit people? It's unfortunate more Christians are not like the Saints. If there is one thing to learn is that respect towards the LDS community is warranted and should be given. These people are too amazing.

Thanks for indulging me folks. I have no one open minded to talk to about this except for Mormons but, well, just want to share with non-LDSers.
---
People's morals get in the way of your humanity.
#2CoyoteTheGreatPosted 3/24/2013 12:21:38 AM
Mormons aren't particularly cool if you are gay or black (Or even hispanic, as I've learned)
---
Disobedience is the stamp of the hero. -Ragnar Redbeard
Also, this is Kagata.
#3SlaynWilderGL3Posted 3/24/2013 12:48:02 AM
No they aren't.
---
Star Wars fans please like The Imperial Fleet facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Imperial-Fleet/462605397130503
#4bratt100Posted 3/24/2013 1:53:37 AM
I'd have to agree with all posts here. I've had many Mormon friends in the past and I found them to be some of the nicest most giving people I have ever met, with family lives that I envy. That said some of their beliefs are downright racist.
---
"If the victim was a mute, then she shouldn't really be out alone."- OrangeWizard on rape
#5WarlockQuan(Topic Creator)Posted 3/24/2013 7:53:22 AM
I had read that there were past issues with blacks and the priesthood. The Mormon church I went to had several prominent black members, several men who had the priesthood and were big time leaders so I'm surprised to hear that is still a problem. I am half Mexican and the missionaries were very heavily proselytizing in the Hispanic community here outside of Memphis so that surprises me about Hispanics. My view perhaps is isolated but nevertheless it was positive in its own way.
---
People's morals get in the way of your humanity.
#6chareyPosted 3/24/2013 9:34:26 AM
WarlockQuan posted...
I had read that there were past issues with blacks and the priesthood. The Mormon church I went to had several prominent black members, several men who had the priesthood and were big time leaders so I'm surprised to hear that is still a problem. I am half Mexican and the missionaries were very heavily proselytizing in the Hispanic community here outside of Memphis so that surprises me about Hispanics. My view perhaps is isolated but nevertheless it was positive in its own way.

In the past the official doctrine of the LDS church was that black people were the descendants of Cain and the color of their skin was the mark God placed on Cain after he killed Abel. I think that this doctrine has been removed.
---
I won't have it! I'm not having anyone talk about me in
the past tense! ~Squall Leonhart
#7CuddleWithClawsPosted 3/24/2013 9:59:33 AM
One of my ex-friends who is Mormon essentially said I'm going to hell because I'm gay.

So, I have to disagree.
---
It's easy to claim that a thing is self-evident when you've already convinced yourself that it is.
#8JigglysaintPosted 3/24/2013 2:55:15 PM
CuddleWithClaws posted...
One of my ex-friends who is Mormon essentially said I'm going to hell because I'm gay.

So, I have to disagree.

I am a Mormon and I find your ex-friend's attitude quite appalling. Are you sure he said you were going to hell BECAUSE he was a Mormon, or was he just some time delay douchebag who just happens to go to that church?

I know all the bible stuff about gays and whatnot, but I constantly ask myself how God could in all fairness, condemn a person for feelings they have that they are not in control of.

I am of the impression that the homophobia is not a religious problem, but an American problem. Yes there are other cultures out there that are far worse, but the USA is supposed to be a place where everybody has rights and liberties. You people should have been through with all this stuff years ago.
#9Lord_IchmaelPosted 3/24/2013 2:57:24 PM
General rule:

There are going to be nice and not-so-nice people in every conceivable group of people. That does not mean everyone in that group is good or bad.
#10mercuryinkPosted 3/24/2013 4:11:45 PM
I disagree with them a lot, but yeah, in my experience they tend to be really nice, accessible individuals.

Plus, Ender's Game.
---
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003