This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What part(s) of the Bible can be considered divine inspiration?

#11bratt100Posted 3/25/2013 8:03:34 AM
LastManStanding posted...
bratt100 posted...
You do realise that how cults work right?

Bratt what are your criteria for believing. You look like you are all over the place.

Do you mind explaining the question a bit better? I don't think I can answer that without a bit of clarification.
---
"If the victim was a mute, then she shouldn't really be out alone."- OrangeWizard on rape
#12DarkContractor(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2013 8:36:28 AM
bratt100 posted...
I think we need to get this man a playpen.

Just think if it was partial. Then fights will be breaking out on the context is it God saying that or men? It will be such a mess. I hope in Christ this explanation will suffice that the entire Bible is Holy Spirit inspired.

um
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. PSN: MrPillow92 Steam: MrPillowtheGreat
#13WelshGamer82Posted 3/25/2013 8:54:59 AM(edited)
They assume it does not contradict, so when they come across a contradiction, they rationalize it away

Yeah, this is about right.

On Topic: I would imagine most Christians would tell you the whole Bible is divinely inspired i.e. men wrote it under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. I certainly would, and I also rationalise alleged contradictions as JonWood suggested..
---
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7020/jesustwitter.jpg
On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand. < ><
#14SilviiroPosted 3/25/2013 12:37:24 PM
You take a small fragment and the Bible, one little section and read it over and over till the words start to change to what is happening in your life and what God wants you to do.

What is this? I don't even. . . So if you read "Samson went to Gaza, and there he saw a prostitute, and he went in to her." over and over it will apply to your life?
---
"I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind." -- Ecclesiastes 1:14
#15LastManStandingPosted 3/25/2013 12:48:06 PM
Silviiro posted...
You take a small fragment and the Bible, one little section and read it over and over till the words start to change to what is happening in your life and what God wants you to do.

What is this? I don't even. . . So if you read "Samson went to Gaza, and there he saw a prostitute, and he went in to her." over and over it will apply to your life?

It is not literal. Your prostitute can become your addiction to gambling for example.
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#16SilviiroPosted 3/25/2013 1:08:34 PM
It is not literal. Your prostitute can become your addiction to gambling for example.

That's how you end up with Charles Manson thinking that Helter Skelter was about race war.
---
"I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind." -- Ecclesiastes 1:14
#17JonWood007Posted 3/26/2013 12:47:17 PM
I'm literally rofling over LMS's posts in this topic and the responses to them.
---
Desktop: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/K6Pj
Laptop: http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/model/LX.WY202.001
#18Julian_CaesarPosted 3/28/2013 8:57:04 PM
I recall recently reading over a small part of debate where it was pointed out parts of Paul's Epistles where Paul warned, as TRJ pointed out, that he was about to say something that is not the Word of God.

So here's the question; what is and isn't the Word of God as far as Biblical canon is concerned, and how do we create the standards in which we did sort what is and isn't?

I think we can all agree on anything that's supposed to be what Jesus or Yahweh specifically said can be considered 'divine inspiration'. What is everyone's opinion?

The answer I usually give is that the Bible says exactly what God wants it to say. Whether it is "accurate" according to our standards (i.e. the science of things like Creation and the Flood, and the exact dates/names of historical events/figures) is largely immaterial compared to its accuracy concerning spiritual matters. As others have pointed it before, it would be rather suspicious if the Bible was as universally cohesive as some people expect; the variety in viewpoints is a good indicator that it was not written all at the same time by someone inventing a religion on the spot. Regardless of whether God exists, it's pretty clear that the authors of the Bible were authentic in their own faith in God, even if their eyewitness testimony is subject to minor differences.

A good example of this is the Gospels. We could say that they're all bunk because they have different accounts of who saw Jesus first after the Resurrection. But the actual disciple/woman who saw Him first matters very little spiritually; what matters is that He rose from the dead on the third day (which they all agree upon).
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#19inferiorweaselPosted 3/29/2013 2:39:25 AM
The whole thing.
---
Live and Learn / Forgiveness is Divine.
(Read those. If you still feel the same way.... Well, you are redcount. - Vyyk)
#20mercuryinkPosted 3/29/2013 3:53:05 AM(edited)
According to the Jewish view, the Torah, or books Genesis-Deuteronomy, were written by the hand of Moses per the instructions of HaShem. The others were written by men for various other reasons. For instance, many books were written/compiled into the Haftarah readings during the period when Torah study was banned.
---
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003