This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Florida school apologizes for "Jesus" stomp

#1almasbabyPosted 3/27/2013 7:58:33 AM
I'm starting a new topic in case people are no longer interested in the old one and aren't aware of the latest news on it. Apparently, the Governor of Florida is upset over it and has made his objections known.

A FAU spokeswoman told NBC 6 that the university received [Governor] Scott's letter and appreciated his perspective.

"Florida Atlantic University is deeply sorry for any hurt that this incident may have caused the community and beyond," wrote Lisa Metcalf, the school's director of media relations, in an email. "As an institution of higher learning, we embrace open discourse in our classrooms, but with that comes a level of responsibility. The exercise was insensitive and hurtful; it will not be used again."

The governor didn't seem satisfied with the apology, saying it was "in many ways inconsequential to the larger issue of a professor's poor judgment."

"The professor's lesson was offensive, and even intolerant, to Christians and those of all faiths who deserve to be respected as Americans entitled to religious freedom," Scott said in his letter. "Our public higher educational institutions are designed to shape the minds of Florida's future leaders. We should provide educational leadership that is respectful of religious freedom of all people."

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/27/17485007-florida-school-apologizes-after-students-stomp-on-jesus?lite=
#2almasbaby(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2013 8:04:32 AM
It's still unclear just what the student was being suspended for, though.

At least one student found it so unacceptable that he refused to participate. Ryan Rotela, a devout Mormon and a junior at FAU's Davie campus, claims he was punished for doing so.

His lawyer Hiram Sasser shared the notice of charges that Rotela received from FAU for violating the student code of conduct.

"You are requested to attend a Student Conduct Conference," the notice read.

"In the interim, you may not attend class (SPC 3710) or contact any of the students involved in this matter verbally or electronically or by any other means," the notice stated.

Dr. Charles Brown, FAU's senior vice president of student affairs, said that Rotela was never up for punishment for refusing to participate in the exercise, however.

So, don't know. What were they going to punish him for if not refusing to participate? It doesn't say.
#3kozlo100Posted 3/27/2013 8:23:30 AM(edited)
My feeling is that at this point, if Rotela isn't just flat out saying why they suspended him, it's because he knows he doesn't have a real strong case for it being wrong.

I mean, you're fighting a battle like this, don't you just say: "Look what they suspended me over. That's messed up right?" Also, he's retained a lawyer over getting suspended from a class? There's something else going on here.

We still don't have enough of the teacher's side either, and now probably never will given that the school is just trying to avoid political heat at this point. The actual appropriateness of the assignment is irrelevant at this point.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#4almasbaby(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2013 8:31:22 AM
According to Rotela he got suspended for refusing to participate. It's the school that isn't saying what it's for. Rotela may have got a lawyer simply because of the injustice of it, which it is if Rotela's claim is true.
#5kozlo100Posted 3/27/2013 8:51:59 AM
There's more to it than refusing to participate. A simple refusal to step on the paper is one of the intended results of the assignment, you don't send folks to a Student Conduct hearing over that. You certainly don't lawyer up over that.

The only other explanation is that everyone involved, Rotela, the professor, the school administration, his lawyer, everyone, is profoundly stupid.
---
#6kozlo100Posted 3/27/2013 9:05:37 AM
I'm finding a couple of other stories claiming that Rotela threatened the professor in some way, but none of them say exactly how he did that. A few sources are also reporting that the professor explicitly informed the class that the assignment was optional, and no one would be forced to participate.
---
#7Master CilanderPosted 3/27/2013 10:16:42 AM
I think the student said something about the teacher regretting this thing or something.

It was some vague thing that was taken out of proportion as a threat.

Pretty sure he just meant the teacher would go to hell or something.
---
Neutral but not impartial.
#8Moorish_IdolPosted 3/27/2013 10:36:52 AM
America. The land of "I'm offended!"
#9GBALoserPosted 3/27/2013 10:40:30 AM
I'd still like to know what possible reason the school would have had for the suspension. Reading further in the article, Rotela is back in good standing and in the same course but with a different teacher.
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#10hunter_gohanPosted 3/27/2013 2:53:33 PM
kozlo100 posted...
There's more to it than refusing to participate. A simple refusal to step on the paper is one of the intended results of the assignment, you don't send folks to a Student Conduct hearing over that. You certainly don't lawyer up over that.

Not to mention that even if you don't do a given assignment you get an Incomplete, not suspended.
---
The food that stands on his [Odin's] table he gives to two wolves of his called Geri and Freki. He himself needs no food; wine is for him both drink and meat.