The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Creationist offers $10K to prove Bible wrong

#1Old_Schl_GmrPosted 3/27/2013 1:09:28 PM
http://living.msn.com/life-inspired/the-daily-dose-blog-post?post=56fddca5-e512-4367-b2bb-7530e3bc8006

This looks like it could be interesting to see what this results in.
#2kozlo100Posted 3/27/2013 1:24:32 PM(edited)
Eh, if it happens, it'll just be a game of loopholes and grandstanding. I'll be impressed if they actually get an impartial judge though.

Realistically though, he knows nobody is going to put up ten grand to argue with him, so he'll just use that to say: "See, they can't prove me wrong!"

---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#3GBALoserPosted 3/27/2013 1:40:00 PM
Why do I feel this will end up like when James Randi challenged Sylvia Brown to prove her claims and she agreed, only to continuously put him off?
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#4DeadPresidents2Posted 3/27/2013 1:41:39 PM
Here's the biggest issue with this: the creationist is already presupposing the existence of the Christian God, meaning that he can manipulate any evidence as he sees fit. I know High School Biology teachers that can present (easily) concrete evidence of human evolution, but all that this guy would have to do is say that God has "made it look like that". And there really is no argument against that, is there?
---
Me to this random girl : Mygirlfriendsayswhat? Random girl: What?
Me: Zing!
#5JonWood007Posted 3/27/2013 1:43:32 PM
As someone posted on reddit, this guy is gonna be seriously poor some time soon.
---
Desktop: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/K6Pj
Laptop: http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/model/LX.WY202.001
#6ElderMisanthropyPosted 3/27/2013 2:23:47 PM
GBALoser posted...
Why do I feel this will end up like when James Randi challenged Sylvia Brown to prove her claims and she agreed, only to continuously put him off?

I think Kent Hovind also had some sort of similar challenge to provide evidence for evolution. The difference is that I don't think Hovind's challenge actually existed, and it was only something he brought up in debates and in front of his fans to try and discredit evolution.

Even if it did exist, I imagine the guy who went to jail for fraud/tax evasion/whatever would also be the kind of person to find whatever loopholes he can to avoid losing the bet.
---
Time passes at the same speed for both zombies and humans.
#7kozlo100Posted 3/27/2013 2:36:05 PM
http://creationsciencehalloffame.org/contests/literal-genesis-trial-contest/

That's the page with the actual contest. Anybody feel like writing to him and seeing what info you can get on ground rules and such?
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#8Hustle KongPosted 3/27/2013 3:10:46 PM
GBALoser posted...

Randi is who came to mind immediately for me. I don't think these are usually made in good faith. Just showmen being showmen.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#9hunter_gohanPosted 3/27/2013 3:59:36 PM
ElderMisanthropy posted...
I think Kent Hovind also had some sort of similar challenge to provide evidence for evolution. The difference is that I don't think Hovind's challenge actually existed, and it was only something he brought up in debates and in front of his fans to try and discredit evolution.

Oh it existed. The problem was it wasn't actually about providing evidence for evolution. It was about conclusively proving that evolution, plus a whole host of others things, happened with no involvement from a god. Even if you provided 100% conclusive evidence that these things happened, that still wouldn't preclude some sort of god being involved it just wouldn't be necessary. Also the "judges" would be completely anonymous and chosen by him.
---
The food that stands on his [Odin's] table he gives to two wolves of his called Geri and Freki. He himself needs no food; wine is for him both drink and meat.
#10FingerpuppetPosted 3/27/2013 7:26:37 PM
hunter_gohan posted...
ElderMisanthropy posted...

Oh it existed. The problem was it wasn't actually about providing evidence for evolution. It was about conclusively proving that evolution, plus a whole host of others things, happened with no involvement from a god. Even if you provided 100% conclusive evidence that these things happened, that still wouldn't preclude some sort of god being involved it just wouldn't be necessary. Also the "judges" would be completely anonymous and chosen by him.

In other Words, Hovind set it up so that he can't be proven wrong, even though he's being unscientific.
---
The problem starts when we are having a discussion just fine and you come along and derail the topic because you can't stand us all having the same definition.