This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Religion has pretty much destroyed America.

#41Mike_StantonPosted 3/31/2013 7:47:07 PM
First you said "Catholics". Now you are talking about the official stance of the church. These are two different things, and are not always in accord. A Catholic can disagree with the Church's position, and even work to change it. You didn't know that?

The Church obviously has a huge influence on the way many Catholics think.

When I was homophobic, it had nothing to do with religion. I was an atheist by that point, and religious reasoning was never, ever used to justify homophobia in my family. This was the ignorance of a immature mind who equated "icky" with "wrong". I am not alone in that.

It's much more complex than just being able to blame your booger-man religion.

For many people it isn't more complex than that though. A world without religion wouldn't completely do away with homophobia any more than a world without cancer would completely do away with death, but it would definitely take away a large chunk of homophobia and/or anti-gay marriage people.
#42bratt100Posted 4/1/2013 6:34:37 AM
Also the justification for holding that stance. You would have a very hard time keeping it illegal, it just wouldn't happen.
---
"If the victim was a mute, then she shouldn't really be out alone."- OrangeWizard on rape
#43KarsUltimatePosted 4/1/2013 7:48:03 AM
Wandering__Hero posted...
Wern't the people who left England for America the loud obnoxious Right Wing esque Christians who are very preachy about their beliefs and insist on enforcing them on others, but don't let Jesus's teachings actually effect their actions (I.e, they had no moral qunadry about killing the Indians and taking the land)?

*Looks at certain modern American groups*.

Well would you look at that.

To the best of my knowledge,most of the English Christians weren't fond of that group either. And hey we English still find the loud right wingers who ignore Jesus teaching annoying, obnoxious and a stain on Christianity

The more things change.....

Wow, are you saying that the reasoning behind the schism was to be able to do all that nutty villainous ****? Far from being persecuted?
#44KarsUltimatePosted 4/1/2013 7:52:56 AM
Eastsideslinger posted...
Really, this is the only sensible post in an obvious troll topic

The one which denies the main statement, then proceeds to affirm it? Just saying, that's what I got out of it. Or maybe you are saying it's appropriate, lol.
#45HeadEXplodePosted 4/1/2013 9:58:35 AM
Iamvegito posted...
Chaos Scade posted...
This might be the worst topic here in a while, and I don't have LMS on ignore currently.

---
"Having that beast inside doesn't make you an animal. Knowing when to let it out is what makes you a man."
#46KarsUltimatePosted 4/1/2013 4:16:15 PM
Look, I thought we were done QFEing. I don't know that I've seen a more obnoxious statement this be done to. Dare I say it's ramping the trollishness even higher?

I don't think it's so bad if you didn't really read the OP. Or maybe it was just that forgettable!
#47Moorish_IdolPosted 4/1/2013 4:23:43 PM
KarsUltimate posted...
Look, I thought we were done QFEing. I don't know that I've seen a more obnoxious statement this be done to. Dare I say it's ramping the trollishness even higher?

I don't think it's so bad if you didn't really read the OP. Or maybe it was just that forgettable!

Or maybe it's the worst topic here in a while.
#48hunter_gohanPosted 4/1/2013 4:33:15 PM
paulo_yamato posted...
The United States of America (which is actually named after an Italian, Amerigo Vespucci. Google it!) was founded to be an atheist and free thinking republic of people.

This is just as wrong as those who claim it was founded as a Christian state.
---
The food that stands on his [Odin's] table he gives to two wolves of his called Geri and Freki. He himself needs no food; wine is for him both drink and meat.
#49gamesrgreatPosted 4/1/2013 4:36:54 PM
My response? LOL 10/10 wouldreadagain
---
D-Jesus, Christ Bosh, King James 3:16
The Miami Heat 2012 Champs- Miller Time
#50gamesrgreatPosted 4/1/2013 4:37:55 PM
Without religion gay marriage would be legal by now.

That seems extremely iffy. Most of the religious people I know support the legalization of same-sex marriage. I feel like homophobes use religion to justify their homophobic feelings, rather than religion causing them.

Most of the religious people I know voted for Prop 8. Almost everyone I know is religious
---
D-Jesus, Christ Bosh, King James 3:16
The Miami Heat 2012 Champs- Miller Time