This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So befoe Jesus did no one go to heaven? It was only after he resurrected?

#11SirThinkALotPosted 3/31/2013 7:09:35 PM(edited)
Nobody 'goes to heaven' as heaven isnt a place you 'go to.'

As of right now, everybody, before and after Jesus are waiting for the final ressurection.
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#12OrangeWizardPosted 3/31/2013 7:30:20 PM
The Rich Man and Lazarus

Parable. Not a real glimpse into the logistics of "Heaven and hell".
Next.
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive things.
#13CorporateKnightPosted 3/31/2013 9:19:16 PM(edited)
OrangeWizard posted...
The Rich Man and Lazarus

Next.

The word "parable" comes from the Greek (parabole), meaning "comparison, illustration, analogy". It was the name given by Greek rhetoricians to any fictive illustration in the form of a brief narrative. Later it came to mean a fictitious narrative, generally referring to something that might naturally occur, by which spiritual and moral matters might be conveyed.

We get it, it's a parable. So? Christ didn't pull concepts out of nowhere to explain something that simple.

Are you trying to tell me because Abraham features a parable he is necessary false and fiction?
I don't get you.
---
[Vatican Foreign Legion]
#14TheRealJiraiyaPosted 3/31/2013 9:19:17 PM
CorporateKnight posted...
OrangeWizard posted...
The Rich Man and Lazarus

Next.

The word "parable" comes from the Greek (parabole), meaning "comparison, illustration, analogy". It was the name given by Greek rhetoricians to any fictive illustration in the form of a brief narrative. Later it came to mean a fictitious narrative, generally referring to something that might naturally occur.

We get it, it's a parable. So?

Are you trying to tell me because Abraham features a parable he is necessary false and fiction?
I don't get you.

Its role in the text does not necessitate that it is a literal representation of the afterlife.

Furthermore, the part you bolded was something that is generally, not necessarily, the case of a parable. The purpose of a parable is to be a comparison, illustration, or analogy.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#15OrangeWizardPosted 3/31/2013 9:25:54 PM
The word "parable" comes from the Greek (parabole), meaning "comparison, illustration, analogy". It was the name given by Greek rhetoricians to any fictive illustration in the form of a brief narrative. Later it came to mean a fictitious narrative, generally referring to something that might naturally occur, by which spiritual and moral matters might be conveyed.

Welp, that one unnamed dictionary sure proved me wrong.

What TRJ said.
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive things.
#16EDIFlCATION(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2013 2:52:25 AM
SirThinkALot posted...

As of right now, everybody, before and after Jesus are waiting for the final ressurection.

huh?
---
http://i.imgur.com/PLA1y.jpg
Izual - Common Sense Applies.
#17SirThinkALotPosted 4/1/2013 5:04:01 AM
EDIFlCATION posted...
SirThinkALot posted...

huh?

Heaven isnt the place the righteous are rewarded with after death, nowhere does the Bible use it that way. Rather, heaven in the Bible refers to God's special abode(specifically its wherever God is visibly present).

When you look at the Bible, the reward for the faithful is always tied up with ressurection, specifically a ressurection of the righteous at the end of times. 1 Corinthians 15 is a lengthy defense of the idea of a future, final ressurection. The final chapters of Revelation describe the reward for the righteous, and its not their spirits flying off to 'heaven.' But rather its God coming to earth and ressurecting the rightious into what it calls the 'New Heavens and Earth' A term which I strongly prefer to heaven.
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#18Lord_IchmaelPosted 4/1/2013 7:51:49 AM
There's your answer- nobody knows what the details of the/an afterlife are.
#19EDlFlCATlONPosted 4/1/2013 8:40:07 AM
Is that similar for Islam as well?
---
http://i.imgur.com/PLA1y.jpg
Izual - Common Sense Applies.
#20LastManStandingPosted 4/1/2013 8:46:12 AM
Christ Death and Resurrection opened heaven.
Death on cross is a ransom for our sins
Resurrection conquers death
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000