This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do Jews reconcile the OT's stupidity?

#1Mike_StantonPosted 3/31/2013 6:05:35 PM
The most common rationalization from Christians is that the NT is all that matters. That's all fine and good but it only raises the question of how Jews account for all of that Leviticus nonsense when they consider the OT/the Tanakh to be their holy text.
#2IamvegitoPosted 3/31/2013 6:11:52 PM
Depends on the movement. Here's one that doesn't see it as normative:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconstructionist_Judaism
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#3Polish_CrusaderPosted 3/31/2013 6:12:04 PM
Thats not what christians are saying. The OT does matter, just not the old laws.
#4Mike_Stanton(Topic Creator)Posted 3/31/2013 6:17:55 PM
Thats not what christians are saying. The OT does matter, just not the old laws.

So the 10 commandments are null and void then?
#5Polish_CrusaderPosted 3/31/2013 6:20:02 PM
Nope. THat is not OT law.
#6OrangeWizardPosted 3/31/2013 6:21:03 PM

Yes.
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive things.
#7TheRealJiraiyaPosted 3/31/2013 6:21:56 PM
OrangeWizard posted...

Yes.

---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#8Mike_Stanton(Topic Creator)Posted 3/31/2013 6:21:59 PM
Nope. THat is not OT law.

I'm so confused now.
#9Wandering__HeroPosted 3/31/2013 6:23:48 PM
I don't believe Jews take their entire Toruh as perfect and say ALL of it like the bits they admit are man written (i.e Job based on a jewish folk tale and Leviticus which was a bunch of arbitary rules) as being God's own divine word. Let me know if you see any Jews wearing only 1 type of fabric,stoning pagans and killing witches.
---
Click the sites these contain to donate to charity for free http://www.thenonprofits.com/
Official Generic Village Girl of the FE13 board
#10Mike_Stanton(Topic Creator)Posted 3/31/2013 6:34:27 PM
Let me know if you see any Jews wearing only 1 type of fabric,stoning pagans and killing witches.

That's exactly what I'm asking though. How do Jews rationalize those fallible claims in their holy text? At least Christians are able to rationalize it with the OT being obsolete, but with Jews I can't even figure what it is that they even believe other than that God exists and doesn't want you eating pork.