This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do Jews reconcile the OT's stupidity?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. How do Jews reconcile the OT's stupidity?
2 years ago#21
Mike_Stanton posted...
Let me know if you see any Jews wearing only 1 type of fabric,stoning pagans and killing witches.

That's exactly what I'm asking though. How do Jews rationalize those fallible claims in their holy text? At least Christians are able to rationalize it with the OT being obsolete, but with Jews I can't even figure what it is that they even believe other than that God exists and doesn't want you eating pork.

I posted a response already. Is that fair? I can't speak for all Jews, but those that I know don't take the Torah literally.

Your response is valid, I suppose. My point was that it makes the entire Jewish belief system seem really fuzzy if they disregard a large portion of the own holy text.

Because Jews matured out of outdated beliefs long ago.

Why are they still identifying as Jews then?
---
RIP Butters_1188 2005-2009
Prove me wrong
2 years ago#22

Because they're still Jews?
---
Lololol @ the Seahawks choking.
2 years ago#23
bsballa09 posted...

If Jews came from Jews, why are there still Jews?
2 years ago#24
Moorish_Idol posted...
bsballa09 posted...

If Jews came from Jews, why are there still Jews?

How Jew Jew could a Jew chuck Jew if a Jew chuck could Jew Jew
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
2 years ago#25
So far in this topic, I've learned that the Ten Commandments are both null AND relevant to Christians, that the laws of the Torah are both null AND relevant to Jews, and that stories in the Bible are both real AND fake.

I get the feeling this God fella is just the biggest, wickedest GameFAQs troll of them all.
---
You're killin' me, Smalls.
2 years ago#26
Phoro posted...
So far in this topic, I've learned that the Ten Commandments are both null AND relevant to Christians, that the laws of the Torah are both null AND relevant to Jews, and that stories in the Bible are both real AND fake.

I get the feeling this God fella is just the biggest, wickedest GameFAQs troll of them all.

Jews still very much feel they are bound by the OT Law. If you want to answer all of your questions, it would take a lot of research into not just the OT but the Mishnah and Jewish interpretations for this stuff over the last 3k years.

Christianity's position is much, much easier to explain quickly. OT Law was never intended to be objective moral law (even the Jews never considered it that way) and Christians view ourselves to be part of a New Covenant that includes gentiles and does not necessitate we take part in the Old Covenant. The OT Law's purpose was in setting up a situation through which Jesus could be delivered. It is still relevant because it paints a picture of God's plan and character that is part of a whole, but is not binding for us.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
2 years ago#27
TheRealJiraiya posted...
Phoro posted...

Jews still very much feel they are bound by the OT Law. If you want to answer all of your questions, it would take a lot of research into not just the OT but the Mishnah and Jewish interpretations for this stuff over the last 3k years.

Christianity's position is much, much easier to explain quickly. OT Law was never intended to be objective moral law (even the Jews never considered it that way) and Christians view ourselves to be part of a New Covenant that includes gentiles and does not necessitate we take part in the Old Covenant. The OT Law's purpose was in setting up a situation through which Jesus could be delivered. It is still relevant because it paints a picture of God's plan and character that is part of a whole, but is not binding for us.

Oh I feel ya. I was referring to specific posts in this topic. For instance, Polish Crusader's saying that Ten Commandments are still to be followed, and you and OW saying otherwise.
---
You're killin' me, Smalls.
2 years ago#28
Phoro posted...
TheRealJiraiya posted...
Phoro posted...

Oh I feel ya. I was referring to specific posts in this topic. For instance, Polish Crusader's saying that Ten Commandments are still to be followed, and you and OW saying otherwise.

P_C is wrong. I very much doubt he honors the Sabbath in the way the Commandment is describing.
---
2 years ago#29
Iamvegito posted...
Why? Texts do not need to be infallible or universally applied. I hate this straw man.

that's the problem I have with religion. do you really have a faith if you pick and choose on what to believe of that faith? I always think important things like faith is either all or nothing. people in the middle ground seem like apologists who want to belong but also want do other things and get away with it.
---
Toy Story 4 trailer, best movie 2015?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGuTN_ilmEk
2 years ago#30
that's the problem I have with religion. do you really have a faith if you pick and choose on what to believe of that faith?

I hate this straw man.

I mean seriously, it comes down to "how dare you not believe what I want you to?" You're just as bad as the fundies if you think this, just as Manichaean. That's not how the world is. People aren't going to fall into categories just so you can criticize them.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. How do Jews reconcile the OT's stupidity?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived