This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does G-d count dickish things people do in online games to His judgment of them?

#1bsballa09Posted 4/1/2013 3:28:51 PM
Let's say someone is playing an MMORPG, and you have another person who has worked a long time to do something and the first person scam him out of it or he hacks his account. Would G-d consider that stealing?
---
Lololol @ the Seahawks choking.
#2kozlo100Posted 4/1/2013 3:37:59 PM
Depends. Are they playing Eve Online?

If no, then it's stealing, and God will be pissed.

If yes, then it's emergent gameplay, and it's fine.

But for a serious answer, I can't see any real way to rationalize treating virtual property any different from physical property in this context.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#3kts123Posted 4/1/2013 3:39:28 PM
I think you should pose this question to a sheik. I bet you'd get an interesting ruling.
#4TheRealJiraiyaPosted 4/1/2013 3:40:53 PM
I remember having a conversation about a similar topic with Kozlo and being left stumped.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#5TheRealJiraiyaPosted 4/1/2013 3:41:52 PM
But the situation I had a conversation with Kozlo on was less open-shut, because I wasnt taking anything permanent from them, I was playing the game by the given rules in a way that caused other players to feel upset.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#6kozlo100Posted 4/1/2013 3:45:20 PM
Yea, this is different from a copyright/piracy issue.

In this case you really are depriving someone of access to something they previously did have access to.
---
#7DagorhaPosted 4/1/2013 5:06:34 PM
TheRealJiraiya posted...
But the situation I had a conversation with Kozlo on was less open-shut, because I wasnt taking anything permanent from them, I was playing the game by the given rules in a way that caused other players to feel upset.

wouldn't the answer be something like: if the situation is just confined to the confines of gameplay (doing a pvp match and exploiting a powerful AOE to destroy many foes thus irritating a lot of people) then it would be morally neutral where as knowing that the AOE is completely unbalanced and decide not to use it would be a morally just thing to do.
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#8kozlo100Posted 4/1/2013 5:58:30 PM
Assuming we're talking various 'hardcore' modes where death has consequences and things are really lost, I would think there's a difference between defeating opponents in battle as part of the game, and killing characters for the lulz, as they say, even if you're not using an exploit or an unbalanced mechanic.

Essentially, griefing is a thing, and it's not always against the rules.
---
#9DarkContractorPosted 4/1/2013 6:00:19 PM
all quickscopers go to hell

deal with it
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. PSN: MrPillow92 Steam: MrPillowtheGreat
#10CuddleWithClawsPosted 4/1/2013 6:48:18 PM
Whenever you get quickscoped, that's God.
---
It's easy to claim that a thing is self-evident when you've already convinced yourself that it is.