This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I can't help but notice deconverts read the Bible more than Christians.

#1kts123Posted 4/2/2013 12:34:26 PM
Well it's true. It seems like when someone stops being Christian, they end up being more aware of what Scripture says than a good portion of the church camp. I've heard a number of older people in my church (including my pastor) make a similar observation.

I suppose there could be a few causes. Immediately I could see an attraction to say "Reading Scripture causes atheism." Which is cute, but by and large those most knowledgeable of the Bible are always Christians (I suppose it takes a lot of motivation to read the Bible an hour a day.) Although it may hold true in some cases, such as for those surrounded by people ignorant of Scripture -- meaning they start having deeper questions, which they realize no one can answer. That might cause someone to suspect there actually *aren't* answers. Then again, it may be the constant attacks on their views that drive them to learn Scripture. It's also possible that atheists tend to be more introspective, meaning they're simply more naturally inclined to read and learn. As opposed to the average extrovert that's more interested in socializing than reading their Bible.

Anyway, I'm not sure what I think. But it's interesting to muse about.
#2OrangeWizardPosted 4/2/2013 12:41:21 PM
In my experience "deconverts" get their "information" about the bible by googling up contradictions and other anti-bible sentiment in order to try and disprove the bible to others.

But someone had to first make those sites, and those people are probably atheists, and if they weren't possessed by Satan, that probably meant they had to go over the bible with a fine-tooth comb.
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive things.
#3Moorish_IdolPosted 4/2/2013 12:42:44 PM
I've noticed this too. It's certainly true if me, at least. Personally my Bible study is more of a search for why I should believe; what in the Bible makes people believe it?

I'm not sure why so many devout people read very little of the Bible. I've thought before that maybe it has to do with feeling they've already met the requirements (repentance) so it's not really important anymore to study it. Kind of how someone may never again study Spanish after meeting the foreign language college credit requirement.
#4Polish_CrusaderPosted 4/2/2013 12:48:48 PM
Its not what you think. Googling a gimmick or "contradiction" about the bible is not reading it. Ask how many de converts or atheists actually read the entire new testament, or read an entire book after they left the faith and see what the real truth is.

I read the bible almost everyday, althought only a few sentences or paragraphs each. I dont need to post it everyday to know that my knowledge is superior. I know what the bible says about the important stuff. I know what the law is. I know how to get into heaven. My name is in the book of life as we speak.

Thats all i care about.
#5DoGCyNPosted 4/2/2013 12:50:12 PM
There's a difference between reading it and understanding it (duh). Not saying all "deconverts" have not understood what they've read but there are certainly some who either misinterpret things or start grasping for straws.
---
2 Corinthians 12:7-10
#6TheRealJiraiyaPosted 4/2/2013 12:55:32 PM
OrangeWizard posted...
In my experience "deconverts" get their "information" about the bible by googling up contradictions and other anti-bible sentiment in order to try and disprove the bible to others.

While this is often true, the TC's claim is true to an extent. Christians do not make an effort to educate themselves on theology in many cases, and inherit their beliefs from other people. It is a problem we, as a Church, should be trying to fix.

But someone had to first make those sites, and those people are probably atheists, and if they weren't possessed by Satan, that probably meant they had to go over the bible with a fine-tooth comb.

The comb isnt THAT fine toothed - if it was, the arguments on these sites would be better
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#7kts123(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2013 1:00:38 PM
The comb isnt THAT fine toothed - if it was, the arguments on these sites would be better

Amen to that. I've seen a few genuine, interesting issues. But really, most of the "arguments" are clearly under researched.
#8OrangeWizardPosted 4/2/2013 1:02:34 PM
Christians do not make an effort to educate themselves on theology in many cases, and inherit their beliefs from other people.

I agree
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive things.
#9SuibomPosted 4/2/2013 1:16:49 PM
I would guess that it really varies between denominations, and then even more so between personality types.

An inquisitive person will be inquisitive in a catholic or a baptist church. But what they study will probably vary. A solo scriptura Baptist would likely focus most on Scripture, whereas a catholic a varying mix of Scripture and tradition.

I know within my church, we have some that aren't very knowledgeable, some that are middle of the road, and some that are very knowledgeable. Even in my home, there's a big difference of Bible familiarity between my wife and I. I have a degree in ministry, she in nursing, so on a purely career level, she studies less. Our personal devotion times are different as well. Hers is in the morning, with a few Bible chapters and a devotional. Mine is a few chapters in the morning, 3 chapters of Psalms and a chapter of Proverbs at lunch, and then a chapter and study books at night.

And this isn't even accounting for age, time as a Christian, and retention ability.
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#10SlaynWilderGL3Posted 4/2/2013 1:17:03 PM
"Deconverts" and atheists that read the bible don't understand it. One does not simply read the Bible and pretend to understand it. God gives you the knowledge to understand his word.
---
Star Wars fans please like The Imperial Fleet facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Imperial-Fleet/462605397130503