This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I can't help but notice deconverts read the Bible more than Christians.

#191DarkContractorPosted 4/24/2013 5:43:51 PM
No, you are acting like a fundie. You're literally not worth any more of my time than necessary, since not a single part of the Bible is "literal" in the sense you want it to be

Okay, then I need you to demonstrate it as such.

, nor is Paul some sort of infallible messenger for all time of who God is.

if the theology presented cannot be trusted, then Christianity is scrapped; how do we know what teachings of Jesus are applicable and divine and which of his are the author's mistake?

You might be the most obvious troll on this board, and that's saying something with LMS hanging around.

Ad hominem, and a bad one seeing as how I am not a troll.

In fact, you're the one flaming me for having an interpretation different than yours than refusing to defend your claims. Who's the troll?
---
"If God exists why did I stub my toe this morning?" - Me "Well If God doesnt exist how do we bacon CHECKMATE ATHEISTS" - TheRealJiraiya
#192IamvegitoPosted 4/24/2013 5:58:30 PM(edited)
Okay, then I need you to demonstrate it as such.

The f*** is this s***? If one equates "truth" and "fact," then one is a filthy, backwards modern who needs to get with the times. Postmodernity or bust. If you're asking me to go line-by-line through the ****ing book, you're just being an ass, since I deal with the narrative as a whole, not the verses by themselves. Thanks for not reading at all, though.
if the theology presented cannot be trusted, then Christianity is scrapped; how do we know what teachings of Jesus are applicable and divine and which of his are the author's mistake?

Manichaeanism. Good job! Also, see the "truth and facts are not identical" statement.
Ad hominem, and a bad one seeing as how I am not a troll.

Your response here says otherwise.
In fact, you're the one flaming me for having an interpretation different than yours than refusing to defend your claims.

I've made my claims fairly obvious. Metaphoricized history and historicized metaphor.
Who's the troll?

Still you.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#193DarkContractorPosted 4/24/2013 6:06:08 PM
The f*** is this s***? If one equates "truth" and "fact," then one is a filthy, backwards modern who needs to get with the times. Postmodernity or bust. If you're asking me to go line-by-line through the ****ing book, you're just being an ass, since I deal with the narrative as a whole, not the verses by themselves. Thanks for not reading at all, though.

In what part of Romans 1 (or all of Romans, really) is there anything to implicate the metaphoricism of Romans 1:18-20?

Manichaenism. Good job! Also, see the "truth and facts are not identical" statement.

How the hell do you get dualism as a way of making the context metaphorical? God good pride bad thus the whole thing's a metaphor. I would say the logic's crashing here but in all honestly it was never built up to begin with.

Your response here says otherwise.

If asking you to back up your claims is trolling now, then consider me the biggest troll to have ever lived because I will ask you that every time.

I've made my claims fairly obvious. Metaphoricized history and historicized metaphor.

Backing up/Defending a claim=/=making a claim. Your claims are not fact. They require evidence. If claims can simply be taken and that's good enough for you, then my claim of literalism (also the strawman you made of me that takes things literally with an agenda) is just as valid as your interpretation. You're exactly what I was talking about when I said Christians who take things metaphorically because quite simply they have no choice but to.

Still you.

I KNOW YOU ARE BUT WHAT AM I, seriously what are you ****ing 12? If you can't deal with someone having an opposing viewpoint without calling them a troll then honestly you need to get the hell off of the religion board.
---
"If God exists why did I stub my toe this morning?" - Me "Well If God doesnt exist how do we bacon CHECKMATE ATHEISTS" - TheRealJiraiya
#194hunter_gohanPosted 4/28/2013 1:30:13 AM
kts123 posted...
"Therefore, using my mistake-proof brain, we should all believe..." You just kicked the can down the road and said "See, now there isn't a can in the road!"

You keep harping on this, but absolutely no one has taken this stance in here. You're a slayer of strawmen alright, but doing nothing in the actual argument. Everything, everything is held tentatively, at least by me.(Well save for me existing. I'm tentatively sure I don't have to hold that tentatively. You guys could just be in my fevered dream and not real though) Just like the ToE or germ theory of disease are held tentatively. We shouldn't toss out either of those because holocaust deniers exist. Like the adage goes, proofs are for math and alcohol. Keep taking down those scary strawmen though. I'm sure they deserved it.

DarkContractor posted...
I lol when I see people make the God of peace and God of war contradiction claim.

What is a God of war and peace supposed to do? Take his cue from a Slayer song?

"Strive for peace with acts of war. The beauty of death we all adore."
---
The food that stands on his [Odin's] table he gives to two wolves of his called Geri and Freki. He himself needs no food; wine is for him both drink and meat.
#195DarkContractorPosted 4/28/2013 3:27:25 AM
The way I see it he is the God of everything.
---
#196kts123(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 7:03:23 AM
You keep harping on this, but absolutely no one has taken this stance in here. You're a slayer of strawmen alright, but doing nothing in the actual argument. Everything, everything is held tentatively, at least by me.(Well save for me existing. I'm tentatively sure I don't have to hold that tentatively. You guys could just be in my fevered dream and not real though) Just like the ToE or germ theory of disease are held tentatively. We shouldn't toss out either of those because holocaust deniers exist. Like the adage goes, proofs are for math and alcohol. Keep taking down those scary strawmen though. I'm sure they deserved it.

You are more than happy to parade around equating religious beliefs to absolute absurdities, even though they've been found plenty reasonable by many great thinkers. You cannot equate your constant harping on religion to someone who's supporting the Germ Theory of Disease in light of morons who reject it. Your views are not that well supported. Hence I am saying you are guilty of some major thinking biases.
#197hunter_gohanPosted 4/30/2013 12:15:46 PM
kts123 posted...
You are more than happy to parade around equating religious beliefs to absolute absurdities, even though they've been found plenty reasonable by many great thinkers. You cannot equate your constant harping on religion to someone who's supporting the Germ Theory of Disease in light of morons who reject it. Your views are not that well supported. Hence I am saying you are guilty of some major thinking biases.

And you equate following the evidence with denying the holocaust. I'm sorry you think forming your views based off evidence is some major thinking bias.
---
The food that stands on his [Odin's] table he gives to two wolves of his called Geri and Freki. He himself needs no food; wine is for him both drink and meat.
#198kts123(Topic Creator)Posted 5/2/2013 3:18:31 PM(edited)
And you equate following the evidence with denying the holocaust. I'm sorry you think forming your views based off evidence is some major thinking bias.

You've twisted yourself into thinking the evidence on your side is stronger than it actually is. I never said my side has as much evidence as the holocaust, you however act as if your side does. That delusion of yours is what I'm equating to holocaust denial. You can at least have the decency to not ridicule those who disagree. You claim you're taking things tentatively, but your attitude clearly suggests otherwise.
#199DarkContractorPosted 5/3/2013 2:52:23 PM

You've twisted yourself into thinking the evidence on your side is stronger than it actually is. I never said my side has as much evidence as the holocaust, you however act as if your side does. That delusion of yours is what I'm equating to holocaust denial. You can at least have the decency to not ridicule those who disagree. You claim you're taking things tentatively, but your attitude clearly suggests otherwise.

then can you point out the parts of our logic where our fallacies began (and explain how they're fallacies), please?
---
#200kts123(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2013 3:15:16 PM(edited)
then can you point out the parts of our logic where our fallacies began (and explain how they're fallacies), please?

It's not so much fallacies, as much as it is an inappropriate allocation of weight to your own reasons. It's the gross over estimation of your own cleverness that I'm criticizing, not the reasons themselves. You know, the whole try-being-more-humble thing. I can assure you, one of these days you'll realize one of your deeply held beliefs was wrong, and it'll be a serious humbling experience for you. You are just as capable of holocaust denial if given the right circumstances. And one good indicator of problematic reasoning is belittling people who differ on the subject.

Now to be clear, I'm more referring to Hunter. I'm more familiar with his lamblasting, I can't as much recall what you yourself have said previously. So you may want to shift my wording as if it were directed at Hunter.

As the prayer goes: "Lord, let my words be gracious. For tomorrow I may have to eat them!"