This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Christians here, do you think the Bible is the end all of all revelation God has

#1Cornelious32Posted 4/3/2013 6:37:27 PM(edited)
or will give to people? If so, why? And by that, I mean revelation through prophet or scripture, not personal revelation.
#2LastManStandingPosted 4/3/2013 6:59:40 PM
Yes God spoke through prophets and in final days He spoke through His Son.
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#3TheRealJiraiyaPosted 4/3/2013 7:01:59 PM
You mean like the one that created a new religion, Christianity, out of the old one, Judaism?
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#4Cornelious32(Topic Creator)Posted 4/3/2013 7:07:27 PM
LastManStanding posted...
Yes God spoke through prophets and in final days He spoke through His Son.

That doesnt even answer the question. Well maybe the first part, but why do you think there would be no prophets after the son?
#5Cornelious32(Topic Creator)Posted 4/3/2013 7:08:08 PM
TheRealJiraiya posted...
You mean like the one that created a new religion, Christianity, out of the old one, Judaism?

huh? what "the one"? Christ?
#6TheRealJiraiyaPosted 4/3/2013 7:13:16 PM
Cornelious32 posted...
TheRealJiraiya posted...

O.o which other other ones are on the list of possibilities for that statement?

But yeah, I dont have any reason to believe God would craft a new religion and I dont think it makes much sense in terms of Christian theology, but I know some Jews who say the same, so whatevs. But if it were to happen to the extent it happened with Christianity, it would be a new religion.. just like we are.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
#7Cornelious32(Topic Creator)Posted 4/3/2013 7:18:19 PM
TheRealJiraiya posted...
Cornelious32 posted...
TheRealJiraiya posted...

But yeah, I dont have any reason to believe God would craft a new religion and I dont think it makes much sense in terms of Christian theology, but I know some Jews who say the same, so whatevs. But if it were to happen to the extent it happened with Christianity, it would be a new religion.. just like we are.

Why do you think it would necessitate creating a "new" religion to have additional scripture?
#8TheRealJiraiyaPosted 4/3/2013 7:23:06 PM
Cornelious32 posted...
TheRealJiraiya posted...
Cornelious32 posted...
TheRealJiraiya posted...

Why do you think it would necessitate creating a "new" religion to have additional scripture?

Well, that is to say, if Christianity is a new religion than any religious movement that was as large a shift as Christianity was from Judaism would also be a new religion.

Unless that one religion wanted a double standard, or believed that no new religion was ever created and that we are all denominations of Judaism. If the former, it kind of messes up our attempt to define things. If the latter, okay, but I disagree with that categorization.
---
#9Moorish_IdolPosted 4/3/2013 7:26:56 PM
I don't think the TC meant a new religion.

He's wondering if God still uses special revelation, ie. is prophecy still a thing, or could someone write a new book of the Bible today, etc.
#10chukie_suePosted 4/3/2013 7:33:07 PM(edited)
Yes, I do believe that. I don't have time to go deep right now, but I think the New Testament conveys this message clearly. There are several non-biblical arguments popping into my head to defend my belief, but those are infinitely less credible than the biblical arguments in my view.

I am certainly unsure as to why we would need more revelation other than Jesus, considering how He was the fullness of God and reflected the Father in every way percetly. We don't need any more prophets (like the Old Testament prophets or judges; I am all for charismatic prophecy) because they pointed to Jesus. And God doesn't have any more sons to send down, nor the need to.
---
"Christ is with those of humble mind, not with those who exalt themselves over his flock." -St. Clement of Rome.