This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Christians here, do you think the Bible is the end all of all revelation God has

#11Cornelious32(Topic Creator)Posted 4/3/2013 7:38:27 PM
chukie_sue posted...
Yes, I do believe that. I don't have time to go deep right now, but I think the New Testament conveys this message clearly. There are several non-biblical arguments popping into my head to defend my belief, but those are infinitely less credible than the biblical arguments in my view.

I am certainly unsure as to why we would need more revelation other than Jesus, considering how He was the fullness of God and reflected the Father in every way percetly. We don't need any more prophets (like the Old Testament prophets or judges; I am all for charismatic prophecy) because they pointed to Jesus. And God doesn't have any more sons to send down, nor the need to.

Since the purpose of prophets have been to prophesy of Christ, why do you think they would be unneccesary after Christ comes? Why wouldnt we want prophets today to testify of Christ? Is the world in such a conditon now we dont need Christ? Do you think the Bible has all the doctrine of God? Do you think we dont need guidance today? Just because Christ has come doesnt mean we dont need guidance in these days.
#12chukie_suePosted 4/3/2013 7:53:10 PM
Since the purpose of prophets have been to prophesy of Christ, why do you think they would be unneccesary after Christ comes? Why wouldnt we want prophets today to testify of Christ? Is the world in such a conditon now we dont need Christ? Do you think the Bible has all the doctrine of God? Do you think we dont need guidance today? Just because Christ has come doesnt mean we dont need guidance in these days.

Good questions! I am going to state my position firmly for the sake of time, although I do not want to give the impression that I am being hostile or critical... Soo yeah :)

The first three questions I can answer altogether. The Old Testament saints all preached repentance and what needed to be done in response to sin. God raised up several leaders for Israel; His people. Christ, being perfect Himself, taught perfectly and sufficiently. The world possibly now more than ever I think is in need of people to testify Christ, but I do not think God will give certain people more revelation than others; especially hidden revelation. We have Jesus; He is the fullness of all we need. 1 Corinthians 2:10 says the Holy Spirit searches the deep things of God, and now that Christians have the Holy Spirit, they no longer need a source of new knowledge. Certainly we need teaching, but not new teaching. Does that make sense?

Do I think that the Bible has all the doctrine of God? That is a very good question. I do think so. Though honestly, I couldn't present a very good systematic argument for that belief. The way the Bible came together in the first place was kind of awkward and not thought out. From what I know, it mostly just happened. But I believe what it says, and my experience with its teaching have always been supported.

And yes, I definitely believe we need guidance today. Man, I got back from church an hour and a half ago and after hearing my pastor teach one of the thoughts that has passed through my head was "wow, I can get so screwed up in my thinking sometimes." However, I think the divinely inspired words of the Bible come from an infinite God, and consequently have infinite depth.

I'm enjoying answering these questions; I haven't thought about many of these issues in too long. I need to get to bed now but I'm looking forward to continuing tomorrow!
---
"Christ is with those of humble mind, not with those who exalt themselves over his flock." -St. Clement of Rome.
#13Cornelious32(Topic Creator)Posted 4/3/2013 8:13:43 PM
The first three questions I can answer altogether. The Old Testament saints all preached repentance and what needed to be done in response to sin. God raised up several leaders for Israel; His people. Christ, being perfect Himself, taught perfectly and sufficiently. The world possibly now more than ever I think is in need of people to testify Christ, but I do not think God will give certain people more revelation than others; especially hidden revelation. We have Jesus; He is the fullness of all we need. 1 Corinthians 2:10 says the Holy Spirit searches the deep things of God, and now that Christians have the Holy Spirit, they no longer need a source of new knowledge. Certainly we need teaching, but not new teaching. Does that make sense?

What exactly do you mean by fullness? Did he give us the fullness of the atonement? Yes. Does that mean we dont need revelation from now until the second coming? I dont think so.

Do I think that the Bible has all the doctrine of God? That is a very good question. I do think so. Though honestly, I couldn't present a very good systematic argument for that belief. The way the Bible came together in the first place was kind of awkward and not thought out. From what I know, it mostly just happened. But I believe what it says, and my experience with its teaching have always been supported.

The Bible is really just a collection of writings from prophets and apostles, brought together hundreds of years after christ died. It could very well be missing inspired writings from the time of christ, and it seems there could have been inspiration to prophets in other regions of the world that we dont know about.

And yes, I definitely believe we need guidance today. Man, I got back from church an hour and a half ago and after hearing my pastor teach one of the thoughts that has passed through my head was "wow, I can get so screwed up in my thinking sometimes." However, I think the divinely inspired words of the Bible come from an infinite God, and consequently have infinite depth.

The words do have infinite depth, it doesnt mean there cant be more words. Each passage can have infite meaning, doesnt mean there are not more than one passage.
#14SirThinkALotPosted 4/3/2013 10:16:28 PM
I dont expect to think God will send future prophets, but I dont dismiss the possibility offhand.
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#15TheRealJiraiyaPosted 4/3/2013 10:37:29 PM
SirThinkALot posted...
I dont expect to think God will send future prophets, but I dont dismiss the possibility offhand.

This is how I feel about it too, honestly
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#16LastManStandingPosted 4/3/2013 11:46:23 PM
Cornelious32 posted...
LastManStanding posted...
Yes God spoke through prophets and in final days He spoke through His Son.

That doesnt even answer the question. Well maybe the first part, but why do you think there would be no prophets after the son?

Christ is the final revelations. There are people with the charismats of prophecy, that know how to apply Bible to the current world through Holy Spirit.
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#17PhoroPosted 4/4/2013 12:54:00 AM
I'm not sure how well it applies, but Mormonism came to mind.

---
You're killin' me, Smalls.
#18bratt100Posted 4/4/2013 1:57:31 AM
Phoro posted...
I'm not sure how well it applies, but Mormonism came to mind.

and islam
---
"If the victim was a mute, then she shouldn't really be out alone."- OrangeWizard on rape
#19PhoroPosted 4/4/2013 2:11:23 AM
*nods*
---
You're killin' me, Smalls.
#20Cornelious32(Topic Creator)Posted 4/4/2013 6:43:39 AM
Cornelious32 posted...
Yes God spoke through prophets and in final days He spoke through His Son.

That doesnt even answer the question. Well maybe the first part, but why do you think there would be no prophets after the son?

Christ is the final revelations. There are people with the charismats of prophecy, that know how to apply Bible to the current world through Holy Spirit.

Where does the bible say Christ is the final revelation? It really doesn't make sense why we wouldn't need projects today. Prophets were testifiers of Christ before Christ, and modern eprophets would be the same.